1/32 F-14D Tomcat VF-101 Grim Reapers

OK? OK? That looks brilliant my friend! Well done!

The only ''correction'' I would make is on the black, since it looks too clean and shiny when compared to the rest of the model.

Might be the photos though. 

Best,

Nikola

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nikola Topalov said:

The only ''correction'' I would make is on the black, since it looks too clean and shiny when compared to the rest of the model.

Best,

Nikola

Cheers Mate for the comment.  I understand what you are saying about the black. Fortunately the DACO F-14 book has some good pictures of the sister ship "164" in the same scheme and the black is indeed quite glossy and clean on the nose and the tails.  Also I have kept the final clear coat a touch glossy to make it easier to clean the model.  It is wayyyy too big for my cabinet.

• Like 2

Very nice, what a monster! Great consistency of finish over such a large model, really well done.

Whatever the 'known inaccuracies' of the Trumpeter kit might be, it certainly knocks spots off the dinosaur Tamiya version, this looks very good indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Perren said:

Cheers Mate for the comment.  I understand what you are saying about the black. Fortunately the DACO F-14 book has some good pictures of the sister ship "164" in the same scheme and the black is indeed quite glossy and clean on the nose and the tails.  Also I have kept the final clear coat a touch glossy to make it easier to clean the model.  It is wayyyy too big for my cabinet.

I stand corrected. :)

Again, great work!

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Best,

Nikola

I noticed that too however I think the real example was very similar, the black was a gloss finish applied over an old scuffed up squadron plane and some photos show the black to be very clean and shiny. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dov said:
12 hours ago, dov said:

Graet done!

How did you achieve the weathering? Specially on the horizontal stabilizer?

Happy modelling

Thanks Dov. The weathering was done with the Tamiya weathering set “oil stain” stippled on with an old stiff brush and then worked with some damp sponge foam in a tapping motion. 

9 hours ago, MRMRL said:

This is superb, I love the mottled look you have achieved with the grey, is that from pre-shading?

No preshading. I like to do post shading with the airbrush.

• Like 1