Oars on motor lanch

thekz

5 hours ago, europapete said:

Info please, what scale, real boat length, which Navy, which ship?  Regards, Pete in RI

A similar launch was used on Royal Navy cruisers in the 1930s and 1940s. Length probably 40-47 ft. HMS Berwick pictured 

Between 1930 and 1937:

11-3614540-hms-berwick-1930.jpg

october 1941:

berwick-28-OCTOBER-1941.jpg

Now I`m making her model in 1/350

There is an index here:

https://ontheslipway.com/royal-navy-ships-boats-of-wwii/

I think the boat on Berwick by the funnel is the 35ft pinnace, when I built Suffolk the closest reference I could find were from Australian ships (HMAS Sydney I think). There was also the 36ft boat which looks more like the 3d render - Suffolk had one of these. I think the 45ft version was mainly on capital ships. 

The exact boats seemed to vary - especially in the covers / cabins, not sure if they were built to a general design? Eg. The 25ft destroyer boat hull is the same, but cabins could be different.

Edited by Ships doc
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ships doc said:

There is an index here:

https://ontheslipway.com/royal-navy-ships-boats-of-wwii/

I think the boat on Berwick by the funnel is the 35ft pinnace, when I built Suffolk the closest reference I could find were from Australian ships (HMAS Sydney I think). There was also the 36ft boat which looks more like the 3d render - Suffolk had one of these. I think the 45ft version was mainly on capital ships. 

The exact boats seemed to vary - especially in the covers / cabins, not sure if they were built to a general design? Eg. The 25ft destroyer boat hull is the same, but cabins could be different.

2021-10.png

so the lack of paddles in the 3D rendering is probably a mistake?

2 hours ago, thekz said:

so the lack of paddles in the 3D rendering is probably a mistake?

Not necessarily. that's a 36' motor and pulling pinnace, the important word in its description being pulling, another term for rowing, so it's designed to be rowed. 

If you look at the drawings for the very similar 36' motor harbour launch, there's no provision for oars, and if you remove the collapsible canvas cuddies it looks  a lot more like the original pictures.

I'm a little troubled by the rendering of the "cabin" in the pictures in the first post, it looks all out of scale to me, being far too small for a useful cabin as drawn, and also contain an engine.  However, it's a bit large and ornate to be just an engine housing. Looks to me like someone's misinterpreted  hatches in an engine housing for access to fuel cocks, dipsticks and decompressors etc for portholes and windows .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Looks to me like someone's misinterpreted  hatches in an engine housing for access to fuel cocks, dipsticks and decompressors etc for portholes and windows .

You are very convincing, but what we see in these fragments looks like a rendered cabin, not "misinterpreted  hatches in an engine housing for access to fuel cocks, dipsticks and decompressors etc"

11-3614540-hms-berwick-1930.jpg

berwick-28-OCTOBER-1941.jpg

46 minutes ago, thekz said:

You are very convincing, but what we see in these fragments looks like a rendered cabin, not "misinterpreted  hatches in an engine housing for access to fuel cocks, dipsticks and decompressors etc"

The large close up image you show above definitely shows a fixed cabin aft with 2 collapsible cuddies forward. The fixed cabin is a bit more angular than that in the 36' motor and pulling pinnace drawing, but the boat size and cabin proportions look similar. Note the cabin contains 2 seats facing inboard on each side and the engine in the middle. The cabin extends the full width of the boat, and the bottom of the cabin side windows is well above the gunwhale. 

Now look at the cabin in the first post - it's width is just over half the boat beam and the bottom of the cabin side windows is below the gunwhale. There's an extra thwart compared to the 36' pinnace, so this looks like a 40' boat or there abouts, so only slightly larger than the 36' motor and pulling pinnace but with a significantly smaller cabin both in width and height, which would need to contain a larger engine. This would leave very little room for any passengers, but it looks a little large for just an engine housing which wouldn't normally have windows, port holes and a companionway.

Looking at your closeup again I suspect the boat is actually closer to the drawings of the 35' motor pinnace, but this doesn't fit the images in the first post.

• Like 1

Just to add to the complications - as above there seem to be variations within one type of boat, eg. If you look at the 35ft boat in the drawing on the link (and I suspect photo of Berwick above) it has one cabin and two canvas 'pram covers', whereas if you look at the photo of the 35ft boats on Sydney they have two cabins and one 'pram cover'. I struggled with this when building Suffolk - the best reference I could find was the drawing in the link. I don't know if these variations were because the design was updated over time or they were built locally to a general specification

• Like 1