Mosquito B Mk XVI radiator panels question

John B (Sc)

I see in the new Airfix Mosquito B Mk XVI kit, one colour scheme shows the top panel covering the radiators painted in pale grey. Previously I'd only ever seen these panels outlined in red with a large red cross over them to show (I presume) they should not be stood on.  

WAs the colour variation method common?  I have found one photo online which might show that, but I'm not sure.  Checking just in case this is another example of  following colour schemes from refurbished post war or preserved aircraft.

The kit scheme also shows a pale grey panel on the upper wing surface towards the rear of the port nacelle area. Does anyone know what that was for? 

Comments from any Mosquito experts welcome  ! 

John B

Not an expert by any means, I also noticed those on my kit’s instructions as well and also saw it done on a couple of WIP topics. I just assumed those were replacement panels in the MSG night fighter scheme that hadn’t yet been repainted in OG

Not having seen the photos, perhaps the replacement panels were painted with Cerrux grey primer prior to being painted in the correct camouflage color? I seem to recall the 1/72 MPM Trent Meteor kit  listing this color for parts of the engine nacelles. 

Mike

Thanks guys. Having now read the kit instructions more carefully (doh!), it says the aircraft had just returned from repairs at Hatfield. The photo I found online is of the same aircraft.

So either these were panels painted for another scheme as you say 'Chuck45' or just in primer as you suggest Mike. Maybe that explains the odd coloured panel on the port wing upper nacelle area too.  The picture I have shows that too, in a very light colour.

John B