Infini Models Easy Cutting Mats: do I have a duff one ?

lasermonkey

Hi all,

after much deliberation, mainly due to the high price, I finally decided to get the Infini Type B mat, as it seemed potentially very useful. I was slightly  aback by its diminutive size, but that’s by the by. After giving it a first try, I have to wonder whether my one isn’t right. The laser-cut guides are *very* shallow. So shallow that I found my scalpel kept riding up out of them. I also thought that the last cuts were somewhat ragged in places, especially on the circles, which seemed to be comprised of many straight lines, rather than one, smooth line.

My first results weren’t impressive at all and I have to say, I was expecting a lot better for the money. For those that have one, do your experiences tally with mine, or do I have a duff one? I’m very tempted to send it back, as I just don’t think it will perform the tasks I bought it for.

Cheers,

Mark.

You can return it for a full refund (including reasonable return postage cost -- though some retailers have to be reminded of that) or replacement as it's not of satisfactory performance or quality. Even if they were all like that, it couldn't be used as an excuse.

Edited by Ade H

I have the one for cutting straight strips and have found it to be absolutely brilliant.

Occasionally the blade does ride out of the groove but I feel that is more due to operator error. New scalpel blade is virtually essential and you need to experiment with the angle the blade is held when cutting.

I have successfully cut 0.3 mm strips from Tamiya tape.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried a new scalpel blade, but still found it wanting to ride out of the groove. It kinda negates the Easy Cutting part of the name.

The more I look at the laser-cut circles, the worse they look.  A great idea, just poorly executed. I can’t recommend it at all, I’m afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I brought 2 of these and they were exactly like yours, not worth the money. I took photos of them and sent to infini their reply was that it was the limitation of the laser cutter, I sent them back to seller and got my money back and brought the Maketar nosecone and bomb mask sets. Cheers Bob.

• Like 2

I really like mine, I ended up buying all 4 types a couple of years ago as I was so impressed. I wonder if they have changed the material they are made of or something else that has effected the depth of the grooves?

Duncan B

• Like 1

The depth of the grooves I could possibly get used to, eventually, but coupled with the roughness of the circles (they need a laser cutter with much finer control) you're just never going to get anything approaching good enough cuts for masking. It completely defeats the entire point of the thing!

I suspect the straight line one might be of use, but y'know, I can use a ruler.

Like I said, great idea, just badly executed.

• Like 2

I've been using them for 3 years now without problem. The only one I haven't got is Type C.

The trick is to burnish your tape well into the grooves, a brand new blade, apply pressure directly over it with a finger and experiment to find the best angle with which to cut.

I wouldn't be without mine and use them all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Yes, but aren't those tips the same for just using a ruler?

Yes indeed and if all you want to do is cut straight bits of tape crack on but if you want to cut arcs or circles your ruler might not be much help.

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Yes indeed and if all you want to do is cut straight bits of tape crack on but if you want to cut arcs or circles your ruler might not be much help.

Duncan B

Neither, it would seem, is this item.  Arcs and curves are not made up of straight segments.   See Lasermonkey's post above.  Another half-baked attempt to generate some cash from modellers.  If you want to cut round a curve there are a large number of convenient items you could use as guides - remember coins, for a start?  Sections through tubes?  Corners of credit cards?  Or you could just draw a circle with a pencil in a compass, then cut it freehand.  Shock horror gasp, who ever heard of such a thing?  It might take a bit of practice but end up cheaper and you'd learn something.  There are of course existing tools such as an Olfa Cutter.   Or just make a template by drilling holes in plastic sheet.  If not quite the right size, widen it with a knife and round or half-round file.  Are such "skills" totally obsolete?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

:offtopic:Neither, it would seem, is this item.  Arcs and curves are not made up of straight segments.   See Lasermonkey's post above.  Another half-baked attempt to generate some cash from modellers.  If you want to cut round a curve there are a large number of convenient items you could use as guides - remember coins, for a start?  Sections through tubes?  Corners of credit cards?  Or you could just draw a circle with a pencil in a compass, then cut it freehand.  Shock horror gasp, who ever heard of such a thing?  It might take a bit of practice but end up cheaper and you'd learn something.  There are of course existing tools such as an Olfa Cutter.   Or just make a template by drilling holes in plastic sheet.  If not quite the right size, widen it with a knife and round or half-round file.  Are such "skills" totally obsolete? :offtopic:

These are all perfectly acceptable methods for doing the same job however none of that is relevant to the OP's post. No-one is questioning your ability to draw and cut circles Graham nor is anyone suggesting this is only way to do the job.

Back on topic and speaking as someone who actually owns Infini cutting mats, I have found that my Inifini cutting mats have come in very useful for when I want to quickly cut some tape to shape and wouldn't be without them. I suspect that something has changed with either the materials or the design that has caused Lasermonkey his issues which is a great shame.

Duncan B

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

These are all perfectly acceptable methods for doing the same job however none of that is relevant to the OP's post. No-one is questioning your ability to draw and cut circles Graham nor is anyone suggesting this is only way to do the job.

Back on topic and speaking as someone who actually owns Infini cutting mats, I have found that my Inifini cutting mats have come in very useful for when I want to quickly cut some tape to shape and wouldn't be without them. I suspect that something has changed with either the materials or the design that has caused Lasermonkey his issues which is a great shame.

Duncan B

Or more likely operator error. People need to look closer to home before blaming everything they use just because they can't get the hang of using whatever they've bought.

When I was an apprentice many moons ago I had it drilled into me that a good tradesman never blames his tools.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Neither, it would seem, is this item.  Arcs and curves are not made up of straight segments.   See Lasermonkey's post above.  Another half-baked attempt to generate some cash from modellers.  If you want to cut round a curve there are a large number of convenient items you could use as guides - remember coins, for a start?  Sections through tubes?  Corners of credit cards?  Or you could just draw a circle with a pencil in a compass, then cut it freehand.  Shock horror gasp, who ever heard of such a thing?  It might take a bit of practice but end up cheaper and you'd learn something.  There are of course existing tools such as an Olfa Cutter.   Or just make a template by drilling holes in plastic sheet.  If not quite the right size, widen it with a knife and round or half-round file.  Are such "skills" totally obsolete?

I had been using various methods such as Olfa cutters and templates to cut circles with varying degrees  of success. The Olfa cutters I’ve always struggled with, possibly due to my ham-fistedness, but I think parts of the problem is the blades aren’t sharp enough. I’ve also found that it wants to wander when it’s twisted around. Plus they only go down to 10mm and I often need smaller for items such as wheel hubs in 1/72. It’s ok when hubs are sharply defined, as I can hand-paint but when they’re not (I’m looking at you, Airfix!) I prefer to ask and spray. Pre-cut masks aren’t always available.

As for templates, they do work, but not very useful for cutting circular bands (eg for use on propeller spinners) due to the near impossibility of getting everything concentric. This is where I thought the Infini Type  B would be perfect. Sadly not. 

6 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Or more likely operator error. People need to look closer to home before blaming everything they use just because they can't get the hang of using whatever they've bought.

When I was an apprentice many moons ago I had it drilled into me that a good tradesman never blames his tools.

And speaking as someone who was also an apprentice and has made plenty of his own tools,  I also know when a tool isn’t up to the task.
Did you actually read what I wrote? The circles on the mat are made of a series of straight lines. It’s simply not good enough for making smooth circles.

But never miss an opportunity to have a dig and be snide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

And speaking as someone who was also an apprentice and has made plenty of his own tools,  I also know when a tool isn’t up to the task.
Did you actually read what I wrote? The circles on the mat are made of a series of straight lines. It’s simply not good enough for making smooth circles.

But never miss an opportunity to have a dig and be snide.

Yes I read your comments so decided to offer some advice. Maybe you have got a faulty one but instead of whining and whinging about it why not follow the advice given to you by Ade H and send it back?

But eh If you're not capable of getting a scalpel to follow the guides may I recommend you purchasing some of these.

https://www.premiumhobbies.co.uk/masking/hiq-parts-circular-masking-stickers-s-10-28mm

They are available in 4 size ranges that being the 1st.

This being the 4th.

https://www.premiumhobbies.co.uk/masking/hiq-parts-circular-masking-stickers-xl-62-76mm

Providing it isn't to much of a struggle for you to weed the parts out. 🙂

• Julien locked this topic