P-51B 'Berlin Express'

72modeler

I found this lengthy but interesting discussion just now while looking for information on the cuffs fitted to P-51 Mustang props. It describes the history behind the P-51B flown by Bill Overstreet  in WW2; he's the pilot who flew under the Eiffel Tower while chasing a Bf-109! Very interesting tidbits about Mustangs and the differences between the variants. You should also do an internet search to see photos of this very nice restoration and tribute to a great pilot!

https://www.angleofattack.com/aviatorcast-p51s-in-review-at-oshkosh/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pretty sure the Eiffel tower story is a post war legend (like Carrs stolen focke wulf or most of Clostermans stories) there should be plenty of first hand accounts of something over the capital of France and his after action reports make no mention of it.

I dont blame Mr Overstreet, Its a cool story but I think its more likely an implanted memory that became true over time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phas3e said:

Pretty sure the Eiffel tower story is a post war legend (like Carrs stolen focke wulf or most of Clostermans stories) there should be plenty of first hand accounts of something over the capital of France and his after action reports make no mention of it.

I dont blame Mr Overstreet, Its a cool story but I think its more likely an implanted memory that became true over time.

https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-articles/wwii-veteran-aviator-bill-overstreet-p-51-mustang-berlin-express.html

Not sure, either, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Mike

• Like 1