P-47M, Tamiya, 1/48 - Josephine My Flying Machine flown by Leo Batista

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

Thanks Tbolt! :)

Seen that picture, never checked if there were any decals for it - does it say Marion?

Oh, I have not read or checked any reviews on the P-43.. Hmm..? Is it bad?

I think I will do a Razorback after this one (have to finish off the Revell P-47N as well) - or an Eduard P-51D. But after that, I might go for the J 9 - or S 9 rather, do not think I am ready for that Italian inspired camo yet..

Working weekend again, so free today.. Woke up early so grabbed a big cup of coffee and started to cut out the decals.. And then they fell into the water.. ;)

I need to work on the pin-up (front), the X is upside down.. 😕 I saw it too late. I could, maybe use the KW one if I remove it. But I think I can live with it.. Irks me but.. Yeah.

The white part on the door I can fix, it is a little off. And it extends into thin air.

Used Zotz for the subject specific decals except for the kill markings (Kits World) and Thundercals for the rest - all behaved very nicely!

51690189241_1cf0565c19_h.jpg

I would only swap out the X with the Kits World one if they are identical - if the thickness or the colour is slightly off from the Zotz sheet it will stand out more than being upside down.

Don't forget the rubber seal that's on the bottom edge of the canopy. I usually just hand paint it a very dark grey.

• Like 1

Yeah, it is not the same. I could get a new sheet, Hannants still have them in stock. But it would take a couple of weeks I think. I will see later how it "feels". :) It is noticeable when you know it - but for most people (all) that would see it live here, they would not have a clue.

Still makes me irritated - But enough? Hmm..

Ah! I need to get scholled about that I think. :) Norris mentioned that they sprayed them with the canopy closed so they were NMF underneath - ie when opened. I did not, so it will be closed (most of my aircraft are closed up). You have any good pictures of how you have done it on yours? (Good opportunity to see more of your ´bolts! 😎😇 )

Will do my first attempt with oil paints, washes, on this one.. (After some practicing on some trash model!). I have Abt 502s Black and Brown Wash and ordered Burnt Umber and Engine Grease. Any other ideas..? Should I get lighter ones as well (white? yellow??)?

Just removed the annoying little national insignia on the door.. :D

Oh! And I ordered another Razorback and Bubbeltop since I already had masks and LööK-sets for them! And the hole in the stash when i just lifted out a Razorback-box irritated me - and they were cheap (£24.86 or so is pretty cheap for those kits! Atleast here) Christmas presents for myself, from myself??

Always liked Mahurin´s Razorback (and his P-51D!!) - and he is another interesting character.. Might do his ´bolt next.

24 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah, it is not the same. I could get a new sheet, Hannants still have them in stock. But it would take a couple of weeks I think. I will see later how it "feels". :) It is noticeable when you know it - but for most people (all) that would see it live here, they would not have a clue.

Still makes me irritated - But enough? Hmm..

Ah! I need to get scholled about that I think. :) Norris mentioned that they sprayed them with the canopy closed so they were NMF underneath - ie when opened. I did not, so it will be closed (most of my aircraft are closed up). You have any good pictures of how you have done it on yours? (Good opportunity to see more of your ´bolts! 😎😇 )

But just like your model they obviously masked the canopy so they would have masked the seal off as well. It's not overly clear on the photo of Josephine, but you can see it.

http://147084544c678448852d-ddcc53207dce6036b290906311a424f9.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/rfc/FRE_005585.jpg

This photo of Teddy shows it better. Note some of the P-47M's show the NMF where the canopy was closed for painting, others are painted here, notably the 63rd FS aircraft,  so I assume they had the canopy removed, which is why on mine I painted to blue under the canopy. Notice one mistake I made was paint under the wing nav light with ZC, after that I learned they were priming less during this point in the war and it should be NMF there.

51691025959_93fa96cc67_o.jpg

51271913281_a853770a9d_o.jpg

• Like 2

Nice, thanks! :) Thanks for the heads up on the nav light too! Will remember that.

Looking really good! (7nd scale or 48th?) You matched the serial number very nicely with the rudder! What colour is that? Been looking at paints to get for 63rd FS rudders.. And the camo lines look beautiful! Great inspiration.

6 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Nice, thanks! :) Thanks for the heads up on the nav light too! Will remember that.

Looking really good! (7nd scale or 48th?) You matched the serial number very nicely with the rudder! What colour is that? Been looking at paints to get for 63rd FS rudders.. And the camo lines look beautiful! Great inspiration.

Tamiya 1/48th scale. The rudder is a little off from the decal, as the decal has a little purple tint to it. The decals are the Superscale ones but the serial numbers are from the Eagle Strike sheet as the Superscale ones were far too dark.  The rudder was painted a mix of Colorcoats True Blue, Flanker Medium Blue and some white.

• Like 1

It is not noticeable in the picture for me. :) Looks good! Cannot really decide which FS´ P-47M I like the most, colourwise.. They are all nice..

Nice having a big pile of decal sheets. ;) Felt a bit stupid cutting the kill marking off the KW - could have traded it in for a little ammount but decided not to..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Oh, I have not read or checked any reviews on the P-43.. Hmm..? Is it bad?

1/48th scale P-43. The spine is pinched in too much/to far forward. If it was just the spine it would be an easy fix, but since it's effecting the clear parts not so easy.

80187870_2762341060663120_75830370030641

106104797_2762341137329779_1375658966995

The real thing. See how the only has a very subtle curve towards the back.

p-43-40-2920-jpg.484710

1/72nd scale kit, with a clear improvement in this area.

240386879-3100237246873498-1400668015899

• Like 2

Aha.. Yeah.. Hmm.. I can wait a while.. Or build the 72nd scale.. But I have kinda left that scale, it would bother me having a smaller one.. lol

Tricky to make a correction kit i guess..? Looks really good, painting-wise though! Yours..?

I wonder if "we" wanted them.. Think the SwAF was happy with the J 9s/P-35A - they did great service. And "we" wanted P-47s, cannot exactly remember why. Did not get them, asked for P-51Ds, did not geth those either, at first, not until you guys offered us Mk. IX Spits -then we could suddenly get P-51Ds! And got the first before war´s end.. A little sad we never bought the Jugs.. ;)

On 11/18/2021 at 7:42 PM, Paramedic said:

Would love to see your model - feel free to post it here if you fancy or in a thread of your own (maybe there is one??). :) We are a couple of Jug-fans here..

Yes 🙂, I posted update on my building thread Here

On 11/19/2021 at 11:44 AM, Paramedic said:

Hinges-thingys for the rudder should have been yellow too.. Noted that yesterday. I just felt smart painting the rudder separately and never checked, oops.

There is stil something new to discover. I think it is imposible to get 1000% corespondence of our kits with real subject, but we still try to do as much as possible 😃

My last observation is, that I am not sure about under wings colour. It is staded as NMF, but if I see photos, it seems to have grey shade. Lets compare shade of main wheel strut and the wheel bays cover. The same is visble on pylon, where is NMF? panel, but the rest is more greyish... 🤷‍♂️ Well, definitelly I am stay with the NMF undersides. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 3:09 PM, Paramedic said:

Hmm.. Tamiya´s stenciling does not look too good.. 😕 Are Eduard´s sheet decent?

Tamiya stencils are quite nice but the M kit has limited stencils because of the aircraft repaints, the D kits have a good range of stencils. The Eduard ones are very nice provide you remove the top film once applied.

• Like 1

Thanks again Tbolt. :) Ah yeah, I am not that familiar with Eduards "new" decals.. Last time i used any from them, I think was the Royal Class Mk. IX in 1/48 and that was Cartograf perhaps? I might order some for other build though. :)

Parents visited me for a few days so done - nothing.. Except working on the pin-up.. ;) Some wrinkling left. I use Mr Hobby´s stuff. Thinking about getting Tamiya´s Mark Fit Extra Strong.. Not sure it will help but I might need it anyways..

Whan that is sorted, i can go on..

Instead been thinking more about the next ´bolt.. The Revell N? Or Neel Kearby´s Razorback..? Hmm.. Probably need to finish off the N otherwise it will bug me but.. Fiery Ginger IV  is quite high on the list. As is that Slick Chick from Thundercals too!😎

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, David Koktavý said:

Yes 🙂, I posted update on my building thread Here

There is stil something new to discover. I think it is imposible to get 1000% corespondence of our kits with real subject, but we still try to do as much as possible 😃

My last observation is, that I am not sure about under wings colour. It is staded as NMF, but if I see photos, it seems to have grey shade. Lets compare shade of main wheel strut and the wheel bays cover. The same is visble on pylon, where is NMF? panel, but the rest is more greyish... 🤷‍♂️ Well, definitelly I am stay with the NMF undersides. 

Aand i forgot to reply to you, sorry.. 😚

Thanks for the link! Your build looks good so far. I did not even know there was an M-spine resin part, good to know if I ever "go back" to 72nd scale.

Looks NMF to me but as usual, I kinda need to go back and look. Do not trust my memory, too much other doo-doo going on in my head too! ;) iirc Norris Graser had pretty good pictures (as do Tbolt I think) of many of the 61st, 62nd and 63rd Squadron Ms.

Pretty sure they would look good with grey too though..

• Thanks 1

Taking it a bit slow with the model.. Had my parents visiting so could not do anything but the pin-up is still a little wrinkled so no biggie. I am waiting for Tamiya´s Mark Fit Super Strong to see if it can solve it (pun intended!). 5-6 "coats" of Gunzes stuff made it better but not perfect. (I should have cut it?)

Some more decal soloution, maybe a damp, hot cotton bud as well hopefully does it.

In the meantime.. Picked up this today. :) 2nd hand Jug, slightly below £50 with all those aftermarket-things. Pretty darn good! Wheels and barrels seems essential on that kit? I may or may not use the PE.. (have a Löök-set somewhere) and i will probably get Brazilian decals.. I like both subjects in that Montex thing but I prefer decals over masks (I know!)

51706643949_a1138d3686_h.jpg

And here I was, saying I did not need a 1/32 Jug again.. lol (Actually prefered making all in the same scale - but this was too good a bargain!)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Been a bit slow here.. 😚 But done a few things - like started to fix the smaller pieces and painted the big, flat tanks.  I will use them if I think they look good enough - and does something for me on the aircraft. But they would be needed to make sure the Glory Boyz in their Mustangs do not get all the Huns, eh? ;)

Pondered about the plastic blast tubes in the kit or a Master set (I have three). Went for the Master ones.. Not that the tamiya ones do not look good - but I had some trouble telling which was the pointy end..😙 Could not tell about the tapering and I guess tamiya would have the back end where I had to cut it from the sprue, but it did not look that way.. So I skipped them.

The Master ones look really nice though and slid in easy enough during dry-fitting! before i primed them with Alclad´s Gloss Black that is.. (which needed quite a few coats on that brass!). Hopefull they behave later on.. :)

The lady popped down nicely in the end, with Tamiya´s Super Strong Mark Fit.. Sweet! And the varnish did the last little tricky area flat. Was a bit worried about that one actually..

(Engine placard looks.. Weird. Not sure what to do there)

51755317988_fd38c53c4a_h.jpgIMG_0399 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Just repainted the DDG-area behind the cockpit with Vallejo Brown Violet - brush painted in the end. Needs a little wash, probably Agrax Earthshade.. Next time i do it right from the start.. :) But I think that will do.. Alrigth anyways.

51755947585_fe64295965_h.jpgIMG_0397 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

The rim is painted metal but not with a spread down from it, giving a rounded shape like the canopy.. Atleast not yet.. We will see..

And I will repaint the hinges on the rudder yellow too, as it should be! it annoys me too much!

I hope to finish off the bird during the holidays.. :) And then i will probably do a Razorback Raid Hot Mama or Miss Second Front - I like both, but the second one´s pin-up a little more.. but the spinner there is scary-looking.. As F***!

Got some nice decals from mr Norris Graser from Thundercals. Great guy that like @Tbolt has helped ALOT with my stupid questions. ;) Thanks guys!

51750655863_2eb461ba7f_h.jpgIMG_0394 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

• Like 3

The sheet at the top right has Lt. Leo Batista´s signature on it - pretty cool. Need to find a way to display it nicely later. The sheet below is an alternative with red stockings, which seems more correct to be honest (I was shown a picture that I lost! And on that one, they actually looked red!)

Maybe I will redo the subject some day with that decal? But I also plan to get Zotz 1/32 sheet if I can - the only thing i would need is a Vector engine for an M.

Also got this today, which made me happy..! :D Took long enough, thanks to our customs.. The curator (?) at Halesworth even mailed me when he sent it (a sunday iirc!) and was very polite.. great book from what seems like a very friendly museum!

51759402098_67792c00f7_h.jpgIMG_0400 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Also visible, the not yet ready tanks and the cockpit of my Revell N..

• Like 1

Looks better with the prop on.. (Ultracast, correct one for the next? But this is not glued so I can change later). And I will wash it a little in the middle.. Oh, and varnish it.. Same for the replacement serialcode decal..

Glass for positional lights, small actuators in the wheelhouse and doors for the arsewheel left..

51763375882_332a6cd537_h.jpg

51764851844_ea25abcf14_h.jpg

• Like 4