P-47M, Tamiya, 1/48 - Josephine My Flying Machine flown by Leo Batista

Nothing really exciting to post but since I kinda want to look back myself, maybe.. ;)

Masked the underside and ABed the rough area of those (more-) heat resistant areas magnesium (it was that or stainless steel and I was worried about masking that - could have Aqua Glossed I guess but.. i did not.).

Hopefully there will be a little bit of difference - I painted it over aluminium on a little rogh suface.. 😕 We´ll see..

I have done something wrong with the Alclad Gloss Black, surface is a little rough - to high psi? Old bottle (it is, does it matter?). Needed some work.

Stripped the part on the flap that got coughed on by the AIrbrush.. At first just sanded and polished it but stripped the paint with IPA instead. There is marks , small, on the plastics, where that happened (on the stab too, but not on the NMF area). i cannot feel it but it is slightly visible.

Then I am cleaning the rest in IPA, nicely removing the nasty overspray, feeling like a rough varnish, on the rest of the model. That and masking took a few hours, went through several movies but the smell of the IPA and the feeling of getting the plastic so nice again was pretty satisfying! :P

51655569587_3817e41283_h.jpgIMG_0331 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51656384121_dbd80670c1_h.jpgIMG_0330 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

I hope I can still make it into a model I will feel decent about, the Jug´s shape and size is so wonderful.. Handling that shape in Tamiya´s grey plastic is.. Satisfying. :)  But I will use another primer for NMF the next time..

• Like 5

Thanks. :)

Yeah - I would love that! I do not mind the Hasegawa - but a P-47 series like the P-51Ds, oh YES! "All" of them, Razorback and bubbeltop Ds, the M and the N.. That would be plastic pr0n! ;)

The hasegawa effort needs a little AM to make it pop in my humble opinion. Sort of feels like a scaled up 48th scale Tamiya, but not with the added detail for a bigger scale. On the other hand, I have not finished any kit of it - I just have it..

Went for Mr Surfacer 1500 Grey after even more IPA removing all doo-doo from the surface as aclose as I could, to the masking. Oh man it was shining and looked so nice! ;)

51659818213_0f75042f8c_h.jpgIMG_0333 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51660466090_a478233f81_h.jpgIMG_0334 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Alclad-damage from the cough/spill. Snaded, IPA-stripped, polished. yet still visible.. Cannot feel it and maybe i should have primed, there, with something with more microfiller? Do not think it will be very visible but it might..

51660704897_080d6139fc_h.jpgIMG_0336 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

The big bags that I primed with Citadel Chaos Black, rattle can, for some reason.. God knows why.. 😕 Will make the Neutral grey or some lighter grey.. Not sure yet. Also, parts of the Revell N waiting some detail brush painted.....

Discover i have no Gunze colours for the Ocean Grey and Dark Grey - or is it Gray? Not even Tamiy..! But I do have Mr Paint´s.. But at the moment I am back with my Tamiya and Gunze paints.. Used to just AIP thin and drop some Tamiya retarded in, but now I have bought X-20A and the Mr Levelling Thinder, which seems to make it even better.. ANd do not fancy the MRP stench.. So I will probably take a walk and buy the Tamiya variants tomorrow or on Tuesday. I think I will get a better - or atleast easier time covering that pre-shading. The 435M on my J 26 was a little tricky. Doable, just needed many more coats than I had planned for..

XF-81 and XF-82 it is if I recall correctly.. Will probably pick up XF-83 as well then - there will be an Eduard Mk. IX again at some point (Audet´s IXe).

A little unsure about the red cowling and yellow tail - probably not really correct with X-7 and XF-3. Will have to look into that! But they are good paints and with some mixing, perhaps..?

• Like 1

Hmm.. Kits World and Zotz are not in an agreement on the Ocean grey and Dark Green shapes either.. A quick look seems to give Zotz right, again. But I will look more carefully tomorrow.

Quite different on the wings though!

51662154913_fcd5804fc7_h.jpg

51662155288_72c546e1a8_h.jpg

The three kill markings are quite different too..

• Like 1

Visited one of my local, friendly hobbystores. Just a bus ride and two tube lines away.. :) Model trains is their main thing but they have Revell, some Airfix but mostly Tamiya and some other things.. And Vallejo, AK, Tamiya and some more brands of paints..

I needed the RAF colours but picked up some I did not have. The shortage of Tamiya paints is still on so no white though.. That light green, I got some plan to mix it up for 506th FG P-51Ds on Iwo Jima I think.. We will see how that goess ome other time.....

Aaaaand - I picked up a Razorback.. :D Why not? They are dirt cheap! About £25.74. That´s nice for that kit!

51665492857_66a272b84a_h.jpgIMG_0344 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Also had some decent models in a few cabinets. That VIIC looks great!

51667265185_b132130302_h.jpgIMG_0342 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51665582412_448adf73b8_h.jpgIMG_0343 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

But more important - I can soon lay down the Dark Green and Ocean Grey! :D

• Like 5

..aaand since I am stupid, I once again messed up buying paints, lol.. I bought Ocean Grey and Medium Sea Grey. I needed Dark Green and OCean Grey....😚. And to make it worse, whilst picking up other paints at another store later - an ATm machine ate my card.. So cannot get new pots until I get  anew card (Tuesday?)... Ah whatever..

I can use MRp - I just do not want to, right now. I will wait, mask my big Tamiya P-51D, practice some oil washes on an old upper hull of a Hasegawa Draken..  And start painting that Revell P-47N´s cockpit..😊

Bought that XF-26 to see how it matches up with Dark Dull Green - which I only have in stinky MRP paints. They are good, I just do not have the best facilities for stinky paint that often..

Right.. Tried this for the first time so bear with me.. ;) Any tips or suggestions, positive or negative are welcome!

Made some figures with Xf-18 Medium Blue, XF-62 Olive Drab and XF-68 NATO Brown mixed with 40-50% X-20A. The hard part seems to get a balance with the black pre-shade and this - and later to get both to give some effect? I am fine with just a tad bit and I guess the biggest risk is just painting voer it? We will see I guess.. :)

51671631397_4c316a508f_h.jpgIMG_0347 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51673304270_f3ab3bf8a8_h.jpgIMG_0348 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51673113174_62cb66f48b_h.jpgIMG_0349 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Should i add some more umpf to the black pre-shade to atleast get that hinting through?

• Like 2

Yeah, thanks. :)

Though.. I did a rough camo pattern - the first 50/50% Mr Levelling Thinnder and XF-82 killed off most of the weird colours.. 😕 We will see if I can do just one more to dampen the worst black pre-shade and keep some of the rest.. Not sure.. Next time I might need to get the black and the other colours at the same brightness? Contrast? Whataver. Or atleast a little closer to the black.

51675772905_d417236dff_h.jpgIMG_0352 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

• Like 3

Been working this weekend - but still inhaled some fumes.. ;)

In the end, two coats of 50/50 XF-82 and MLT - was  aalmost good in some areas while stuff - like the left wing and some areas close to the sausages needed more. So I mixed 60% MLT and 40% paint. Should probably have used even less paint..

51679867948_594b7512de_h.jpgIMG_0353 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

It looked alright in some areas, a little too much in others. Kinda hard to reverse.. ;) So we will see how the oil wash does later. Get some of that effect instead.

On tuesday or wednesday i can pick up the Dark Green, so plenty of time to re-mask over the grey and try to make the areas and the edges better. It is "loosly based" on the actual camo than strictly like it..😚

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Been working this weekend - but still inhaled some fumes.. ;)

In the end, two coats of 50/50 XF-82 and MLT - was  aalmost good in some areas while stuff - like the left wing and some areas close to the sausages needed more. So I mixed 60% MLT and 40% paint. Should probably have used even less paint..

51679867948_594b7512de_h.jpgIMG_0353 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

It looked alright in some areas, a little too much in others. Kinda hard to reverse.. ;) So we will see how the oil wash does later. Get some of that effect instead.

On tuesday or wednesday i can pick up the Dark Green, so plenty of time to re-mask over the grey and try to make the areas and the edges better. It is "loosly based" on the actual camo than strictly like it..😚

This is why I've never bothered with pre-shading. By doing post shading instead you can play around till you get the look you want.

Anyway your looks good in the pictures 👍

• Like 1

Yeah, I hear what you say! It could also be that I am poo-poo - and I should probably have thinned more from the start.. ;) Still, think I can do it a little better, with more practice....

Thanks though!

• Like 1

While waiting for the Dark Green, I painted the rudder. First a mix of Gunze Flat White and 329. Followed by a regular coat of 329 and a pair of Tamiya XF-3 to change the tone a bit and finally, 2 thin layers of 329 again.

I think it can turn out okay with some wash..

51683807293_86fd16eda8_h.jpgIMG_0354 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51684434250_d103e0634f_h.jpgIMG_0355 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

Phot flattens it out a bit but there is some preshading showing off as shadows and perhaps a little dirt.. :)

• Like 2

Still at it I see :D

Just a quick thought on your painting....why did you mask so thoroughly for the gray? Just seems like extra work since you are going to mask it again for the green...  :P

Don't worry about covering the preshading, in my mind it shouldn't show much anyways and you are still going to postshade it :) lovely build tho and it's interesting to follow your progress!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aigore said:

Still at it I see :D

Just a quick thought on your painting....why did you mask so thoroughly for the gray? Just seems like extra work since you are going to mask it again for the green...  :P

Don't worry about covering the preshading, in my mind it shouldn't show much anyways and you are still going to postshade it :) lovely build tho and it's interesting to follow your progress!

Thanks Algore. Oh yes1 My parents are popping in tomorrow - so I felt I wanted to get a coat of varnish on, to cure for a few days while i cannot paint (one room flat). But then again, I do not wanna rush unnecessarily and mess something up.. Something I can be pretty decent at..!

Well,..Because double insurance to not fakk up.. ;) I had planned to free-hand it all actually - butthen did not trust I would not mess up.. And now I am glad I did cover my äss. I should get yet a smaller needle and maybe pull it off that way? (Used a .2mm H&S Evolution - yet it sprays wider than i feel comfortable with - I wonder if 0.15 and some other changes would help me in that regard?)

I taped two 2l bags around the rest when i did the red - and managed to spill some red paint out from the cup - luckily those bags saved me.. Would probably have done something similar earlier as well, had I not masked? What can I say - I am still a colossal noob (or knob - or both!)

And yes, I will probably need to post shade anyways - something I have never done before..😚 So need to practice first. This model is turning into my favourite so far - they way it is going and feels. The kit I know is great and I love my Jugs above anything..☺️

This build was to be the first I tried oil washes as well - so a few new things. But that is okay if i take my time I think.

Could not get my Dark Green, and will not be able to until Thursday so gave up and used the stinking soup from MRP.. I really do not see many reason for me to use those. Stink too much and I can get much more control with my Gunze and Tamiyas with thinner. I also feel I have less control on covarege since it is so thin - then suddenly covers up.. Might be something I need to get used to I guess.. But I get Gunze and Tamiya to last longer with thinner than those quite expensive, wishy-washy pottages from MRP.. Yuck, not a fan.

Not that it did not behave, it did, it did the job - I just do not see many pros over what I am used to. But please, prove me wrong..

Red is (mostly) Gunze 327 but I put down a layer of Tamiya XF-7 with Gunze´s Flat White first. Da red wunz go fasta´!

And something fun I found out - I echanged some emails with Norris Graser of Thundercals (lovely decals and superb quality and will "soon grace us with new sheets....) - and a hell of alot of the research that is the basis of many decals on P-47s made by Aeromaster, Superscale, Microscale, Zotz Revell, Monogram etc, in the past. - he actually knew the pilot of this P-47. Need to ask him more about that. :)

51684676751_6406f4f662_h.jpg

51684676751_6406f4f662_h.jpg

51683891177_0a1a0560db_h.jpg

51685360639_b445b252f4_h.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Paramedic changed the title to P-47M, Tamiya, 1/48 - Josephine My Flying Machine flown by Leo Batista

Hello Paramedic,

I like your build. I make the same plane , but in 1/72 Scale used Tamiya P-47 D with conversion tail. I would like to warn you about the size and position of USAF insignias. From the photo in this thread it is evident that on upper surfaces there is the bigger insignia used. (The instructions in decals shows smaller one). I also investigated the locations of the insignias as some P-47 in ETO have marked both sides on the bottom. But in this case I would judge that there was only one insignia on the bottom. In fact, there is good example of LMoK. Bellow some references which support my thoughts :

spacer.png

There on the other copies of this LMoX photo is seen smaller insignia on the underside.

spacer.png

And there is the link for reference photos of P-47 LMoK which is seen from all the wing sides:

http://www.56thfightergroup.co.uk/robertwinters.htm

• Like 2

Hi and thanks. Great subject, is it not? :)

Cool, yeah I will have a look at what decals I use for the underside. And I agree, only on the starboard underside. Some added that really big roundel on the underside as well but I do not think this one did.. I like the look of two on the underside however, so will need to build a subject with that, soon..

That 1/72nd scale Tamiya is nice as well! What decals do you have?

I have bought the Hobby2000 which contains Revell sprues and very nice decal sheet from Cartograph. It seems there is no issue with the Pin-up subject and text on other cowl side. But the size of insignias are wrong, therefore I will combine it with the decals from the Tamiya Box. Yesterday I started to do camouflage. I sprayed the cowl with "RAF red" (mix of XF-7 with a little drop of brown to get darker shade) and the tail I have RAF Yellow (mix of XF-3 with a drop of red-brown). Now I am going to little bit investigate the upper grey colour. Some sources say it is Ocean Grey and some Medium Sea Grey as it seems on the photos too light for the OG. I will also take into account your interpretation of the camouflage 🙂

Well, P-47 is also my favourite subject. I already have two P-47 in my display cabinet and I am going to build others including his predecessors (P-43, P35) 🙂

• Like 2

Might have to have a look at the pin-up from that sheet out of curiosity. :) The paint mixing sounds good, I compared my Gunze Insignia Red and Yellow with the Tamiya Red and Yellow and would do the same!

Yeah, the grey is interesting. I have the photos in colour, a few in different "shades" and in some it is lighter and more blue-ish - but in others it may very well be Ocean Grey.. I would guess it is either Dark Sea Grey or Ocean Grey - if they used Dark Green. But that is me guessing..

They were sprayed with the canopy closed anyhow, so NMF under it (re: Norris Graser).

Would love to see your model - feel free to post it here if you fancy or in a thread of your own (maybe there is one??). :) We are a couple of Jug-fans here..

Yeah the P-35s and P-43s are cool as well! I bought the P-35A, or rather the J 9 as we called them in the SwAF, from Dora Wings. Might actually push it to the top of the To-Do-list after the M.. it looks quite nice! And they have a P-43 as well, don´t they?

I went and picked up my long due Tamiya Dark Green today.. And some other "minor" boxes.. Oops!😚☺️

51688681541_5350b65235_h.jpgIMG_0360 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

In my defence, that P-47M was very lonely in the store - I am also responsible since I picked up its buddies, the bubbletop and razorbacka  few weeks ago. The Razorback I had ordered more than a month ago in another store..

There is room for one more bubbletop in my "ready-rack stash" so..

51687894712_d232155b9a_h.jpgIMG_0362 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Might have to have a look at the pin-up from that sheet out of curiosity. :) The paint mixing sounds good, I compared my Gunze Insignia Red and Yellow with the Tamiya Red and Yellow and would do the same!

Yeah, the grey is interesting. I have the photos in colour, a few in different "shades" and in some it is lighter and more blue-ish - but in others it may very well be Ocean Grey.. I would guess it is either Dark Sea Grey or Ocean Grey - if they used Dark Green. But that is me guessing..

They were sprayed with the canopy closed anyhow, so NMF under it (re: Norris Graser).

Would love to see your model - feel free to post it here if you fancy or in a thread of your own (maybe there is one??). :) We are a couple of Jug-fans here..

Yeah the P-35s and P-43s are cool as well! I bought the P-35A, or rather the J 9 as we called them in the SwAF, from Dora Wings. Might actually push it to the top of the To-Do-list after the M.. it looks quite nice! And they have a P-43 as well, don´t they?

I went and picked up my long due Tamiya Dark Green today.. And some other "minor" boxes.. Oops!😚☺️

51688681541_5350b65235_h.jpgIMG_0360 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

In my defence, that P-47M was very lonely in the store - I am also responsible since I picked up its buddies, the bubbletop and razorbacka  few weeks ago. The Razorback I had ordered more than a month ago in another store..

There is room for one more bubbletop in my "ready-rack stash" so..

51687894712_d232155b9a_h.jpgIMG_0362 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

I think your colours look good.

710x528_33273691_15851501_1620912145_1_0

I've got the J9 kit and it looks good but I've avoided the P-43 kit in 1/48th scale because of the shape issues with the spine. I'll be picking up the 1/72nd P-43 kit since they fixed it in that.

• Like 1

Thanks Tbolt! :)

Seen that picture, never checked if there were any decals for it - does it say Marion?

Oh, I have not read or checked any reviews on the P-43.. Hmm..? Is it bad?

I think I will do a Razorback after this one (have to finish off the Revell P-47N as well) - or an Eduard P-51D. But after that, I might go for the J 9 - or S 9 rather, do not think I am ready for that Italian inspired camo yet..

Working weekend again, so free today.. Woke up early so grabbed a big cup of coffee and started to cut out the decals.. And then they fell into the water.. ;)

I need to work on the pin-up (front), the X is upside down.. 😕 I saw it too late. I could, maybe use the KW one if I remove it. But I think I can live with it.. Irks me but.. Yeah.

The white part on the door I can fix, it is a little off. And it extends into thin air.

Used Zotz for the subject specific decals except for the kill markings (Kits World) and Thundercals for the rest - all behaved very nicely!

51690189241_1cf0565c19_h.jpg

• Like 3