Jump to content

P-47M, Tamiya, 1/48 - Josephine My Flying Machine flown by Leo Batista


Paramedic
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I am a massive P-47 fan, yet this is my first time with the 1/48 Tamiya kit! And it has been started several years ago... I got busy with real life, had the wrong cockpit colour and so on.

In the past I have built the smaller Tamiya in both the Razorback and Bubbletop config and older kits - but not this! Which is a shame since it is so wonderful! There will be more however...

 

I had decals for David C. Schilling´s M but it lacked the fin fillét on the pictures I had - and I wanted that, I like the look of it back there. Dave Schilling is a really interesting guy though so I will have to make one of his other birds later on..

Instead I went for Kit World´s version of "Josephine My Flying Machine". But you do not get that text for the right side of the cowling.. So I might have to get Zot´s as well or something.. Granted, I know very little about the subject and the pilot. But I love the look!

 

Used Mr Paint´s "Interior Dark Dull Green" (MRP-229 iirc) over a Stynylrez grey coat.. Which, hard to see here, did not look great - I needed a darker primer. So cover it up with Tamiya´s Flat Black and re-did it.

 

51585428023_3f6a91f5a3_h.jpg

 

Got some refreshments in the meantime.. ;) The ale was a temporary offering at the local store.. Not drunk it for ages.:!

 

51585250621_7c485aa678_h.jpg

 

Shitty picture by my window attempting to get decent light..

 

51588561865_28298477ca_h.jpg

 

I also sprayed the spare cockpit part with Citadel´s Chaos Black. it is rough but the black undercoat gave me a better tone of the Dark Dull Green! Will use that part for some test-painting..

 

51597482207_f25b195e3c_h.jpg

 

Pretty happy with the cockpit, the left seatbelt part is a little too far forward but i was afraid to remove it (CA glue).. So left it. It will bug me but it will not be visible, I think. Some of the details are bullshitted - not entirely correct.. But I tried to make it look good. Lost the kit´s decals some time so have no placards either (Might need to buy Thundercal´s stencils!)

 

51598521748_20df85491b_h.jpg

51599201875_761bdff645_h.jpg

 

Need some polishing, masking and so on, before painting the wheel wells and on to the rest! Might not use the big belly tank.. We will see. But the big hinkers will be used!

 

51611119489_3fcd342a96_h.jpg

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Good strat there, in the M kit you do get the choice of either fin or finless tail! 
Sammy

 

Yeah I know, I just like the look of it. I might make Dave Schilling´s later on though.. :)

 

2 hours ago, greatgonzo said:

If You are going to use teardrop shaped tanks, don't. Never used on 56th P-47.

 

Ah ok, what were used on the Ms?

 

Thanks guys!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right.. I´ll guess there won´t be any big bags.. 😕 I´ll save them for some P-51D from Ie Shima or Iwo Jima I guess..

 

Speaking of that, some colleagues have seen me ordering decals, with pin-ups.. Commenting.. So i ordered the Microscale sheet with "Dirty Dick", "Dirty Old Man" and "Blue Pickle" - that´ll shut them up? Maybe..

 

;)

 

Inhaling some sweet Alclad Gloss Black fumes so i can do the undersides..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where do you guy's keep finding model kits that have delicious looking food in them?! I keep checking mine and all I got was some crappy polystyrene and decals! I feel cheated!:tasty:

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Magic..😊

When I pick up kits from the two local stores - I have to pass right outside some pretty decent places for beer.... Sadly my Eduard Spitfire Mk. IX glass broke this summer but those Spiegelau are pretty decent too!

 

Starting to lay down Alclad GLoss Black - but had no reference picture out, lol.. Kinda know roughly where I need it (don´t want it on non-metal areas).. Boring stage right now, getting a good surface coat for the metals.. Spray, wait, look, polish, spray, wait.. 😕

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good, love the cockpit.

 

As mentioned do not use the 165 gallon drop tanks. 

 

As I mentioned in the other thread, I've seen pictures P-47M's with 150 gallon tanks under the wings, so I went through some of my references and this is what I've come up with. So far I can only find P-47M's with either no tanks fitted or 150's under the wings. If you've only got one 150, I would put it under the fuselage if you want something there, but if you have another Tamiya kit then stick one under each wing.

 

51618297025_26a3a8627d_o.jpg

 

51618085424_ea9bf3ce67_o.jpg

 

51616592607_eef403453e_o.jpg

 

51617656898_64a72fb92f_o.jpg

 

51616592827_32f050f1f0_o.jpg

 

51617426686_08455e6902_o.jpg

 

61eafa20-6520-4581-9387-997be8b79e80.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Magic..😊

When I pick up kits from the two local stores - I have to pass right outside some pretty decent places for beer.... Sadly my Eduard Spitfire Mk. IX glass broke this summer but those Spiegelau are pretty decent too!

 

Starting to lay down Alclad GLoss Black - but had no reference picture out, lol.. Kinda know roughly where I need it (don´t want it on non-metal areas).. Boring stage right now, getting a good surface coat for the metals.. Spray, wait, look, polish, spray, wait.. 😕

 

If you hadn't already realised the exhaust panels along the belly, where the exhausts run, are made of different material, so they were darker in appearance.

 

5114.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, I´ll remember that and use a darker paint. Thanks! :)

Not planned out the paints too much yet - just started to get the nasty primer on - I usually leave it for a while and work on it so figured I could look around a little then. Probably going for something high-shine.. if I can do it nicely. maybe stainless steel could work on those panels if the rest is lighter?

 

iirc Kits-World had the cowling flaps in metal but the pictures I look at show them as painted (grey mostly)..

 

Where is that bird by the way?

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Cool, I´ll remember that and use a darker paint. Thanks! :)

Not planned out the paints too much yet - just started to get the nasty primer on - I usually leave it for a while and work on it so figured I could look around a little then. Probably going for something high-shine.. if I can do it nicely. maybe stainless steel could work on those panels if the rest is lighter?

 

iirc Kits-World had the cowling flaps in metal but the pictures I look at show them as painted (grey mostly)..

 

 

The cowl flaps were painted in the camo colours, so mostly grey on the left and green on the right. Some of the Kits Worlds decals are a bit off on their research.

 

media-388437.jpg

 

http://147084544c678448852d-ddcc53207dce6036b290906311a424f9.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/rfc/FRE_005549.jpg

 

 

media-388476.jpg

 

http://147084544c678448852d-ddcc53207dce6036b290906311a424f9.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/rfc/FRE_005542.jpg

 

media-388415.jpg

 

http://147084544c678448852d-ddcc53207dce6036b290906311a424f9.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/rfc/FRE_005581.jpg

 

media-388432.jpg

 

http://147084544c678448852d-ddcc53207dce6036b290906311a424f9.r57.cf3.rackcdn.com/rfc/FRE_005585.jpg

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that´s the same pics I had (from American Air Museum in Britain). :)

A little disappointing along with the missing text - but maybe I´m missing something..? Hannants have the Zots sheet with it but feels.. It feels having to buy the decals again, with customs and all.. We´ll see.. Feels wrong not having it too.

 

Ah.. i ordered it! Plus part 4 and the Thundercals national insignias, stencils and stuff - need some of that.. And it looks really, really good!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, I missed your first post @Tbolt - probably clicked the notification for the other.. Great pictures! Those I did not have, any of!  I don´t have another P-47 kit but i have ordered a Razorback (and x2 Academy Ns..). I´ll probably nick its 150 gal tank for this. The razorback will probably become Button Nose and i would use other tanks on her.. Kinda like the look of those big fakkers under the wings!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah that´s the same pics I had (from American Air Museum in Britain). :)

A little disappointing along with the missing text - but maybe I´m missing something..? Hannants have the Zots sheet with it but feels.. It feels having to buy the decals again, with customs and all.. We´ll see.. Feels wrong not having it too.

 

Ah.. i ordered it! Plus part 4 and the Thundercals national insignias, stencils and stuff - need some of that.. And it looks really, really good!

 

I know it's frustrating and there are a lot of inaccurate decals sheets out there. I've ended up buying other manufacturers sheets with the same aircraft on just to get something more accurate, though at least there's other aircraft on there I can build.

 

I love the Thundercals decals, they do great research, I just wish they would do more sheets!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I´ve never bought any Zotz either - looked at the for eyars and might as well pick those up, while i can.. :) The other sheet´s N subjects look really cool too.

 

Yeah that stencil sheet looks really useful! Their other ones don´t have too many that I feel are on the top of the list for me - they look great, not just my favs.. So I agree, would be great with more! :D

 

Edit: Kinda regret that - Slick Chick is nice! :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really crossing your t's and dotting your i's on that Jug! The tammy jugs are really nice....getting a wee bit long in the teeth though, afraid I have to get one if the release one in 1/32 though :)

keep up the good work :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks. :)

If they release a 1/32 one - OMG..

 

I haven´t looked at the N kits i have but maybe I can use the hollow blast tubes from the Tamiya kits on those, hmm..?

 

In the meantime, inhaling the sweet Alclad gloss black fumes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the issue with the second big bag is solved.. ;)

 

A second boxing. It will probably become a Brazilian D, with or without fin fillét - and the engine front might be useable on my Revell N.. As well as the prop. And the stencils, some of them, might come in handy too!

As for the paints - I am curious if I can get a nice look of Alclad over 50/50 of the Surfacer and Thinner and then the Ueno Black and Thinner.. My Gloss Blac Alclad is old and - annoying (though I have a much newer bottle too).

 

The surfacer and thinner seems great though, never sued that stuff.. :)

 

51631013908_e3756d7f53_h.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Poor M has taken a little bit of a back-burner.. My old bottle of Alclad Glooss Black really is not fun. Clogs the airbrush quite fast. Does not mess up the surface, I think.. But all I should have used the grey one.. I get a little better result with the gloss black but I decided to not use any high-shine paints so a little unessesary.  I will let it cure a little bit more, free thursday-friday so hopefully I can start laying down the underside.

 

I started a P-51B (Margie Maru, AMDG decals) Tamiya-kit too and it took over a little. The cockpit did not come out as nice and the kit is cheaper so decided to try that "new" (for me) primer on it - which seems fantastic! But Josephine is on her way! :D

Don´t wanna try the Mr Color Levelling Thinner and that gloss Ueno Black over the Alclad gloss primer on Josephine, but i was tempted.. Will find a piece of spare kit to see how Alclad works over it. Mr Surfacer 1500 on top? hell yes! What a lovely primer!

 

Also, could not leave the Revell N alone..

 

51633891584_16a6fc8f5c_h.jpgIMG_0292 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

 But Josephine´s cans are glued!

 

51633824684_f100b4dde5_h.jpgIMG_0291 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Speaking of Margie Maru, those decals are nice. Good info as well. And Queen Jean´s red "lips" are fantastic!

 

Also got these - for a future two Eduard kits.. Dirty Dick and Dirty Old Man! - I guess that suits me, with too many P-47 and P-51 pin-ups around! Not that old but.. Dirty?

 

51633171886_bfabfbaef4_h.jpgIMG_0286 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been working on that P-51B a bit.. :) Because it was easier.. But the M has gotten some love (- and hate from Alclad..)

 

51643740628_5121da9a1c_b.jpgIMG_0309 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Without panel line wash..

 

51649891731_2e71447fd2_b.jpgIMG_0317 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

With..panel line wash.. I had hoped to try some weathering on it as it is cheaper, to not ruin the M and carry a little of that skillset to it= ;)  We´ll see..

 

Not too much left on that one so can concentrate on my M.. But as I laid down the first and second NMF layer today, my airbrush coughed, twice.. The upper side of the inside of the flap got one and the starboard stabilizer the other. Dunno what happened but it will need to be sanded back.. 😕 Used Alclad Aluminium. The primer coat 8Alclad Gloss Black) is not great but workable.. A little rough, should probably have polsihed it more but it did look good apart from the accident. Ah well.

 

I had been hoping to get the effect from the P-51B´s landing gear door on the belly - Aluminium and Stainless Steel - kinda on top.. That high shine Stainless steel has behaved for me. I even masked with Tamiya tape (carefully!) and did not lift it or any part of it (no mark on the tape - but I barely let it set on that plate!)

We´ll see if I can pull that off or need to buy Dark Alumnium instead? I need that anyways I guess..

 

51649892026_b4be32829f_b.jpgIMG_0318 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Also got the replacement/Additional decals from Zotz! :D Dunno which pin-up is the most correct though?   - @Tbolt always being that kind expert with a bottomless well of info, you got any idea? ;) I´m gonna try and look at the photos even mroe carefully..

 

51649799231_fce12f4699_b.jpgIMG_0311 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51650030828_cc2b60bcda_b.jpgIMG_0316 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Enough P&W and engine placards to last me a little bit? ;)

 

51650599239_8e6cbecebd_b.jpgIMG_0315 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Seems like Flickr is actually blocking that pic - the bowbz??? lol if that is the case.. I have to re-upload it everytime I try to post the link.. Just that one pic...

 

Since Alclad messed with me, I burst a can of beer in my store, spilling all over my self and the ATm ate my card.. I´m not doing any modelling tonight! :D Not gonna push it today.. :D

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paramedic said:

Been working on that P-51B a bit.. :) Because it was easier.. But the M has gotten some love (- and hate from Alclad..)

 

51643740628_5121da9a1c_b.jpgIMG_0309 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Without panel line wash..

 

51649891731_2e71447fd2_b.jpgIMG_0317 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

With..panel line wash.. I had hoped to try some weathering on it as it is cheaper, to not ruin the M and carry a little of that skillset to it= ;)  We´ll see..

 

Not too much left on that one so can concentrate on my M.. But as I laid down the first and second NMF layer today, my airbrush coughed, twice.. The upper side of the inside of the flap got one and the starboard stabilizer the other. Dunno what happened but it will need to be sanded back.. 😕 Used Alclad Aluminium. The primer coat 8Alclad Gloss Black) is not great but workable.. A little rough, should probably have polsihed it more but it did look good apart from the accident. Ah well.

 

I had been hoping to get the effect from the P-51B´s landing gear door on the belly - Aluminium and Stainless Steel - kinda on top.. That high shine Stainless steel has behaved for me. I even masked with Tamiya tape (carefully!) and did not lift it or any part of it (no mark on the tape - but I barely let it set on that plate!)

We´ll see if I can pull that off or need to buy Dark Alumnium instead? I need that anyways I guess..

 

51649892026_b4be32829f_b.jpgIMG_0318 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Also got the replacement/Additional decals from Zotz! :D Dunno which pin-up is the most correct though?   - @Tbolt always being that kind expert with a bottomless well of info, you got any idea? ;) I´m gonna try and look at the photos even mroe carefully..

 

51649799231_fce12f4699_b.jpgIMG_0311 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

51650030828_cc2b60bcda_b.jpgIMG_0316 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Enough P&W and engine placards to last me a little bit? ;)

 

51650599239_8e6cbecebd_b.jpgIMG_0315 by Tobias Björkman, on Flickr

 

Seems like Flickr is actually blocking that pic - the bowbz??? lol if that is the case.. I have to re-upload it everytime I try to post the link.. Just that one pic...

 

Since Alclad messed with me, I burst a can of beer in my store, spilling all over my self and the ATm ate my card.. I´m not doing any modelling tonight! :D Not gonna push it today.. :D

 

I would go with the Zotz one. I'm not overly impressed with some of the research on the Kits World decals and some of the artwork is almost inspired by the original rather trying to be an accurate representation of it. On the Kits World's artwork her hair Style doesn't really match the original and she's not even wearing any stockings. They also seemed to have made her breasts a bit larger and the blue outline, which should be black, around her is not as accurate as the Zotz one.

 

It's a shame because Kit's World sheets are beautifully printed, I just think their artist needs a talking to about accuracy! I just don't get it when there's good pictures of the original.

 

The P-51 looks great.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah that was kinda my feeling too about KW - but I missed the lack of stockings! HOW did I miss that?? Almost turned intoa  "Find Five differences" or whatever you call those kids-games of two drawings.. ;)

 

I likemost of their stuff but this sheet was a bit of a disappointment, the pin-up, the lack of the starboard test and the unpainted cowlingflaps on their drawing. I have a couple more, I hope those are more accurate.

 

Thanks for the input!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Paramedic said:

Yeah that was kinda my feeling too about KW - but I missed the lack of stockings! HOW did I miss that?? Almost turned intoa  "Find Five differences" or whatever you call those kids-games of two drawings.. ;)

 

I likemost of their stuff but this sheet was a bit of a disappointment, the pin-up, the lack of the starboard test and the unpainted cowlingflaps on their drawing. I have a couple more, I hope those are more accurate.

 

Thanks for the input!

 

On this sheet they've decided that "Lorene" wasn't painted black like all the other 61st FG P-47M's, but grey and green like the 62nd FG P-47M's and didn't have the two tone, red with NMF lined code letter, which the photos clearly show on this aircraft.

 

It's like they look at a picture for a few minutes and then go of and do all the artwork from memory 😂

 

But to be fair Kits World aren't alone. Before I buy decal sheets now I try to research them first to see if they are accurate first. I found other companies just blindly copying inaccurate profile artwork without any apparent reference available photos. 

 

 

kits-world-decals-1-48-republic-p-47m-th

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, that is fair, they are not the only ones who have taken short cuts. ;) I like the quality of their decals and they have some gems so..

Thanks for the heads up on that sheet, not checked them out too carefull and has been thinking about it.. Seems like Lorene had a fin fillét too - but maybe not from the start? Like many others (They were field mods?)

 

As for Thundercals - I really like what I see there. - at first there were none of my "favs" but Neel Kearby´s bird I need to do some time - and they have a couple more really nice ones.. The Slick Chick pin-up is especially wonderful..😍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paramedic changed the title to P-47M, Tamiya, 1/48 - Josephine My Flying Machine flown by Leo Batista

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...