A Bridge too far? We shall see...

TonyW

I'm going to tempt fate and throw another build into the pot. Yet another Monogram/Revell Shelby Hertz car, bought as insurance against any major problems with my Hertz car builds. Had the re-paint on either of those gone wrong, I would be able to swap a body over.  

The Hertz cars seem to be behaving themselves, for now, and it's a shame to not build a perfectly good kit alongside them.

It's going to be white with blue stripes, running mags on a lowered chassis. Work started alongside the Hertz repairs and it's now got to the point of justifying its own thread.

Here's the car body in pearl white. I've already smoothed out the mould marks and thinned things down here and there. The side vent windows have had the uprights removed. Thinner substitutes will get added later.

20211019-162836.jpg

Impatient to get an idea of how I want it sitting, I mocked the car up this morning. Those are the wheels and tires I'm going with, the ride height is getting dialled in at the moment. I want it as low as can be managed without cutting the arches about.

20211020-134920.jpg

The paint was dry enough this afternoon for masking and striping, so that got done as well. I'm starting to like the look a lot.

20211020-142548.jpg

And to finish, here's all I have to complete by the weekend. Hmmmm.

20211020-142953.jpg

• Like 9

A bit of experimentation this afternoon has got me a set of wheels I'm very happy with.

The Halibrands I want to use had a full on chrome finish. I knocked that back earlier with a few light coats of Tamiya silver. It gave a more in keeping ally finish but something was missing, they looked a bit ordinary somehow. A couple of coats of Tamiya Champagne Gold got me edging close to the Dow 7 finish that was applied to magnesium wheels in the sixties to try to slow down the rapid oxidising these wheels suffered from in open air. Spraying a very fine mist of Tamiya Candy Lime Green over the gold got me as close as I think I can get to the finish.

20211021-145329.jpg

Maybe a touch more yellow might improve it a bit more, but I'll hold fire for now as any mistakes at this stage in the game can't really be recovered from.

I've also lowered the car by adding lowering blocks at the rear and cutting and resetting the front wheels on the spindles to give the same effect. That put the car pretty low, so despite me saying I was going to leave the arches alone, I found myself carving and re-curving them quite a bit. Sitting the wheels and tires a bit further out than stock, along with the lowering has given the car a bit of a race look. Just the job!

20211021-152245.jpg

The A Pillar is looking a bit chunky to me but that will be ignored. Adding the bright trim and re-fixing the 1/4 light window will hopefully take care of that. It will have to, there's not time to start re-arranging things now.

It's going to be close....

• Like 5

A fair bit of progress on the car today, which is just as well given the time left!

Front and rear screens made and fitted, not perfect but much better than stock.

I'm still having trouble with fixing them in place. There's not enough time left in the GB to experiment further, so I'm having to use a method that sort of works as it's the best I can do for now. I'm using superglue and it's less than ideal . I hold the trimmed screen in place and add a tiny dab of glue to either the centre top and bottom or a corner of the screen. Let that set and move on , gluing it bit by bit. It only needs a tiny string or a bit of excess glue squeezing out to ruin the job though. If and when that happens a new screen is needed. I'm going through screens at a ridiculous rate and the method definitely needs changing. No time with this lot unfortunately.

Elsewhere on the car, the hood and cowl have been drilled for hood pins and wipers. Ditto the doors for door locks. The vent grills on the cowl have had a dark wash added. The wheels have had a dark wash around the wheel nuts and the nuts themselves hit with a bit of chrome ink.

The bumpers as provided have nasty casting marks on the ends. I've sanded and polished them off and used Molotow ink applied straight from a 2mm pen to re-chrome the bumpers. I love that stuff! 

The interior tub got fitted after the steering wheel, seat and door buttons were added.

20211023-174432.jpg

20211023-174405.jpg

That lot has left me with a complete car unit tonight, leaving lights, door handles, hood pins and wipers to be fitted tomorrow and I think that's it for this unexpected build. Result!

...if it goes to plan of course.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I must admit that there is something a little depressing about the fact that you can build a car as good as this in less time than it takes me to paint an exhaust silencer...

I wouldn't get too depressed, your work isn't exactly shabby, quite the opposite in fact!

I choose my camera angles very carefully, and take a ton of pictures along the way. There's a whole lot of pictures that are less than flattering that never get seen. It also helps no end that I've been building multiple versions of this same model since day one of the Group Build.

Sometimes you get lucky as well. For instance, I'm really happy with the way the wheels and tires have turned out. I especially like the way they lead the eye away from the less than perfect windscreen fit and finish. Careful camera angle helped there a bit...

I'm going to miss this GB once it's over.

• Like 3

Just coming up to twenty to seven here, hours before the deadline and I'm done! Not quite a Blitzbuild, but not far short.

Keeping it a curbside build helped a whole lot in getting it done inside the deadline. 

Etch wipers and hood pins, door handles and locks and a nearly invisible black line added above the sill stripes just to add a bit of interest in that area. A quick wipe over, then photo time.

An enjoyable, out of nowhere build of a slightly modified Mustang, as so many of them were. I'll be displaying this one alongside the likewise modified blue car finished much earlier in the build. The two sit well together.

20211024-165953.jpg

I'll add Gallery shots in a bit, first a celebratory beer for the builder.

• Like 4

Is it me, but having followed this build from day one, does it look to you that the wheelbase of the white one is longer than the blue one? Probably an optical illusion caused by the different paint schemes, easily fixed by those beers!

:cheers:Cheers, and well done.

5 minutes ago, Mike Dean said:

Is it me, but having followed this build from day one, does it look to you that the wheelbase of the white one is longer than the blue one? Probably an optical illusion caused by the different paint schemes, easily fixed by those beers!

:cheers:Cheers, and well done.

I think you must have beaten me to the beer Mike, they are both the same kit, the old Monogram one. I'll be doing my utmost to catch you up though.

That's one hell of a final line-up Tony, well done indeed. I hope many celebratory beers were had last night, and that the hangover fairy has been kind this morning

James

• Haha 2