Airfix Rotodyne in Vintage Classics?

Paul821

The prototype (which the Airfix kit depicts, obviously, as the only that was built and flew) was the Rotodyne Y.  There was a proposed larger Rolls-Royce Tyne-engined variant, known as the Rotodyne Z or FA-1, which is what what was ordered by New York Airways (possibly licence-built by Kaman) and BEA.  That also would have had longer wings with swept-back leading edges, and a 'beaver-tail' arrangement at the rear.  I built one a few years ago, using one-and-a-bit Airfix Rotodynes, and a Revell Transall C-160 which contributed the engines and part of the wings:

I'd happily buy a 'new' one though - although I have bits left over to build a prototype, it would require splicing parts from two kits (I also later bought an incomplete kit off eBay) and, newly-created decals would be welcome!

Tim

spacer.png

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, TimV1969 said:

The prototype (which the Airfix kit depicts, obviously, as the only that was built and flew) was the Rotodyne Y.  There was a proposed larger Rolls-Royce Tyne-engined variant, known as the Rotodyne Z or FA-1, which is what what was ordered by New York Airways (possibly licence-built by Kaman) and BEA.  That also would have had longer wings with swept-back leading edges, and a 'beaver-tail' arrangement at the rear.  I built one a few years ago, using one-and-a-bit Airfix Rotodynes, and a Revell Transall C-160 which contributed the engines and part of the wings:

I'd happily buy a 'new' one though - although I have bits left over to build a prototype, it would require splicing parts from two kits (I also later bought an incomplete kit off eBay) and, newly-created decals would be welcome!

Tim

spacer.png

Cool! I started some drawings of the Rotodyne Z some time ago, based on what few references I could find, but the project got stalled part way through.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2021 at 7:34 PM, TimV1969 said:

Tim

That's a cracking build Tim the nose looking very Noratlas. Goes well with Heather's build.

Search out Blue Envoy Press and their Army helicopter volume as it has a neat if tiny drawing of the production. There are links to the author around and you may get fortunate and get a higher resolution copy from him.

BOT I think this series is doing well for Airfix as the Rotodyne was reissued relatively recently and must have sold. SE Asia and Combat SAR seems to be calling me....

Think I have two in the stash somewhere but I'd probably buy some more!

Paul Harrison