Airfix Rotodyne in Vintage Classics?

Paul821

Just had an e-mail from my LMS saying that the Rotodyne will be re-issued in the Vintage Classic range. Anyone else heard this?  I would certainly welcome such a release as it fits nicely into my 1950's /60's civial aviation themed build 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

That would be ace. I would definitely pick up a couple. I'm not usually a fan of what ifs, but I could make an exception in this case.

It existed and flew. How can it be a what-if, unless it's issued in liveries it never wore?

Edited by 3DStewart

14 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

It existed and flew. How can it be a what-if, unless it's issued in liveries it never wore?

I assume he's talking liveries. I'd definitely want to do one in RAF Transport Command crud 'n custard.

• Like 5

I too have the Revell weird scale one. If this release would prompt a decal company to issue BEA markings in near-enough scale that would be grand. There was a company did it in Revell scale years ago but I’ve never seen it in stock anywhere.

5 hours ago, IT_Man said:

Decent lump of metal! 

I got one of the Revell Rotodynes a few years back (1:78?) but would probably trade it in for one in 1:72!

Big mistake!  The Revell Rotodyne was far superior to the Airfix one with full interior, passengers etc.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Sadly a production one for the RAF would have been somewhat different: but given the options available, that's just too bad.

The final scheme the prototype Rotodyne flew in had RAF roundels and ' Westland Rotodyne' titles.  S&M did  a lovely decal sheet with his scheme to fit the Revell  Rotodyne.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/sandm-models-sm78-001-westland-rotodyne--1306104

Can't see any after-market decals being issued for a reissue of the old Airfix kit that needs a lot of work to make it acceptable. 

13 hours ago, wombat said:

If this release would prompt a decal company to issue BEA markings in near-enough scale that would be grand.

The Rotodyne as flown was a proof of concept development prototype, the Rotodyne being developed for BEA would have been a significantly larger airframe if it had gone ahead. 

• Like 2

I sense a strong WHIF here.

Vietnam ‘Spooky’ anyone?! Mind you with the noise it generated, the Vietcong would have had hours of notice, even indulging in a spot of lunch first no doubt 🤣

Trevor

• Haha 3

I built one in the last Airfix Classic group build. 

42795273911_7be80f7520_b.jpg

Most of the Haldane Place pimples had to be sacrificed, the moulding was definitely showing its age (a 1980s boxing), the nose glazing was all wrong, and the Humbrol period transfers were a disaster, but it scrubbed up okay. 

Now, would I buy another? Never say never. Like others here, I fancy a bit of a WHIF in RAF Transport Command colours.

• Like 16

19 hours ago, Malc2 said:

I have a 2000ish release Rotodyne with no decals, does anyone know if Airfix could be persuaded to sell the transfers separately?

Malc.

This guy has some

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165140940389?hash=item26732ac665:g:2a0AAOSw4GZfDInM

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2021 at 5:52 PM, Max Headroom said:

Vietnam ‘Spooky’ anyone?

Stretch the forward fuselage. Slightly bigger wingspan with tip tanks and outboard pylons. Bigger Twinwheel maingear. Astrodome. Radar nose.

Bigger fins (B-24?) Smaller (square?) Fuselage windows. Olive over grey paintjob. That should about do it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Wow, thanks, how did you find those?!

However they don't look in great condition - maybe the first release?

Holding out hope that the Rotodyne does get re-re-re-released.

Malc.

Edited by Malc2