how to airbrush a tube?

clueless

i spray long strokes along the axis of the part. Rotate after each stroke.

Also, don't try to get full coverage in one pass. Build coverage over several passes. This is always true, regardless of the part.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Like 1

As @dnl42 said, run the airbrush lengthways with light coats and turn the barrel a little each time.  I'd either grab it with some reverse tweezers on the stub end that won't be seen, or drill a hole in the stub end and glue a cocktail stick in the hole so you can hold it better and rotate it easily.  You'll also come away with cleaner hands ;)

Thank you for the advice @dnl42 and @Mike. I should have said it's not the main colour but how to spray the camouflage lines/pattern on the barrel but as mentioned above, I suppose a cocktail stick (or similar) would help to hold while I rotate to get the desired lines or pattern effect. In the picture the lighter colour is the base colour which was applied as per above suggestions, and the darker green is my attempt to spray the camo lines/pattern. I'll have another go at it thank you

Here's a few suggestions:

Get closer. So you aren't spreading out 'around the corner'

Lower the pressure. To avoid those spider legs.

Maybe you will have to thin the paint a bit more. Because you have lowered the pressure.

Use a smaller nozzle if you have one. To keep it tight.

Practice on a flat surface first.

Make a cardboard jig and 'spit roast' the barrel with a couple of cocktail sticks. So you can turn the barrel with one hand and move the airbrush from end to end with the other.

Use masking if you still can't do it freehand.

Good luck

@Bertie Psmith provides some excellent advice. 

Camo was a critical part of the question. I always use some sort of masking for these tasks. Tamiya tape works perfectly. Lay rolls of Silly Putty or Blu Tack atop the tape for soft edges. Once the pattern is right, rotate the barrel on the "spit" mentioned. This keeps a constant distance and angle between the part and the airbrush nozzle. Also as mentioned, airbrushing should be at a relatively short distance, 5mm to 45mm. For this task, closer is better...