Vickers Vildebeest Questions

Ray S

Hello all.

Ever since 2011 or thereabouts (when an injection-moulded kit became available) I have wanted to build the Vickers Vildebeest, and at the weekend I was asked to build one for a friend's friend whose father flew them in Singapore. The one they wanted me to do was this one from 1936:

DSCN7986

It is from this Special Hobby boxing:

DSCN7980 (2)

I have seen the in-depth discussion on this fine Forum about the camouflaged Vildebeests from Singapore, but am unsure about the silver schemed set up. I have seen also the images on this site:

https://www.rafseletar.info/Vickers Vildebeest/Vickers Vildebeest.html

And one of the photographs shows a distinct variation in the finish (the photo of the single Vildebeest flying over the coastline/dockyard area). Would I be right in thinking that, like the silver-doped Fairey Swordfish, some of that would have been Cerrux grey?

I have started to draw up (metaphorically) plans for adjusting the rear cockpit to cater for the different gun mount, and have taken inspiration from some builds on here for that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Re Cerrux Grey for the metal parts: that seem very likely but wasn't universal in the RAF.  The Hart/Fury family were polished metal.  It could however be that as the Vildebeeste was a torpedo bomber, the Cerrux grey was considered better for the maritime environment.

The parked example also shows a difference in tone in the same areas.

• Like 1

It's really hard to be certain, although this image (source: Wikipedia) seems to show a tonal variation that would tally with Cerrux Grey for the metal areas around the cowling and cockpit.

spacer.png

There does seem to have been some variation but, absent an actual photo of the airframe you're representing, I think you're on solid ground with representing Cerrux Grey around the cockpits and engine area.  

• Like 3

@Graham Boak and @mhaselden, thank you both for those replies, it really settles my mind on that. That photograph is the best version of it that I have seen so thanks for that one too.

I am glad I have been asked to do the silver scheme, having read a couple (or three) long topics here on BM I am happy not to be doing a camo one!

All the best,

Ray

25 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Chris, thanks for that! I tried the IWM site earlier today, but I could not get it to produce any photographs, it must have been something I was doing wrong! There are some fabulous images there for me to look at.

Thanks again,

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

I for one do nor vote for Cerrux Grey. Similar shade differences can be observed on the early prototypes or on the Vincents serving in desert. So I would say the panels were not painted silver dope, but left natural metal with some kind of treatment which makes in appear duller on the photos. In my Vincent build, I plan to solve the difference by adding a few drops of light grey in the silver dope in order to flatten it a bit.

However, your build, your colours😉.

Patrik

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 3:38 PM, modelldoc said:

Yes, do it, it is not so hard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21603181@N08/50660313872/in/dateposted/

modelldoc

Thanks modelldoc. it is all done, and the person it was done for was very happy with the result! It is in RFI

I hope I said a big Thank You to those who helped out, if not - Thank You all!

Ray