Zeppelins

Martian

On 11/3/2021 at 2:53 PM, 72modeler said:

That says a metric ton about your current mental health  state! (It took almost seven years of exposure to Martian, Melchett, and CC to corrupt me- but I'm loving every minute of it!) :giggle:

Mike

Thanks Mike !!

I really feel honoured !!:cheers:

219646452_10223954269496920_5776693077600976879_n 240580023_10224163865896699_4746859282354989644_n

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 3

On 11/1/2021 at 9:55 PM, Martian said:

Methinks I am in danger of needing to be rescued from my own thread!  :frantic: And you Loren, have displayed such a consistently high standard of lunacy that you are in danger of being made an official UK citizen (Eccentric's Branch)! Your application has already been sent on your behalf to Buckingham Palace for due consideration. I am given to understand that Her Majesty usually passes such matters on to her expert on such matters, one General Sir Anthony Hogmanay Cecil Melchett VC, DSO, DSC, AA*, RAC and Burp for rubber stamping, well, it is something to do with rubber anyway; so you should be a shoo in. 

Martian 👽

*Not the Automobile Association!

Thanks for the attention dear ETI

The fact that you let my job untouched is greatly appreciated 

Sure that @perdu will appreciate too...

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

TT SIG 1

CC

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

219646452_10223954269496920_5776693077600976879_n

Sincerely.

CC

I thought that was a selfie of what you looked like the morning  after all the ale you consumed at Telford; what's the French expression? Oh yes: "un sacre gueule de bois".

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, general melchett said:

Please see a physician, chemical engineer or vet as soon as possible, your modelling community and local black bin-bag recycling plant needs you...

Do it quick CC, lest our beloved General gets the slogan printed on his next set of Battle Y Fronts. Apparently he is planning to wear them without his trousers next time! 🤮 

Martian 👽

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I'm sorry, isn't that the usual dress code....ready to give Harry Hun a darned good British style thrashing, six of the best, trousers down, tackle out?

Hands up all those who want to see the General with trousers down and tackle out at Telford! What ? No takers? You do surprise me!

Relieved of Mars 👽

Stop press! Apparently we have had a last minute vote from @Pete in Lincs. Perhaps we had better arrange a private viewing for him. I don't think the show organisers are going to take kindly to a mass stampede.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, europapete said:

I hope you take a magnifying glass with you and a micrometer. 

I was going to say microscope but otherwise, I am in complete agreement. "Move along folks; there's nothing to see here."

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

They are either having to make do with the Old Pickled Sporran (7% to 18% variable depending on the wind direction) or,

they've been locked in the stationery cupboard (again) to protect vulnerable members of the public, Police officers etc.

• Haha 3

• 4 months later...

If I might hijack this thread back to the OP for a minute...

Zeppelin Rigging.

It's not really complicated - it's a simple pattern that's easy to wrap your mind around once it's laid out - it's just that there's an awful lot of it, and it's kind of hard to see past the spiderweb of lines.

There's basically two ways to look at it, but they both amount to the same thing: there are six anchor points along the tailplanes (call these 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) and six corresponding anchor points along the envelope (a, b, c, d, e, f).  The rigging lines run from each tailplane 'point' to each envelope 'point'. 

So depending on how you want to look at it, each individual tailplane anchor fans out to each of the envelope anchors (the red lines below: 1-a-1; 1-b-1; 1-c-1...); or each individual envelope anchor fans out to each of the tailplane anchors (the green lines: 1-c-1; 2-c-2; 3-c-3...).  Same thing, just depends on how you want to run the lines.  There is also a set of tailplane bracing lines that run directly between each tailplane, sort of like a series of 'rings' around the tailplane. (1-1-1-1; 2-2-2-2; 3-3-3-3)

2itL5V5.jpg 

A couple of practical notes on the process...  I made small wire eyelets for my envelope mounting points, and was able to run a continuous length of elastic rigging line for each "section" (wrap the rigging around some ultra-fine wire and CA it in place as a needle).  It's not structural like a biplane model, so elastic thread is fine - I'd recommend the finest stuff you can get from Ifini or Uschi.  And most importantly, START FROM THE FRONT, AND MOVE AFT.  If you start from the back, you'll have to thread UNDER your existing lines, and that's just a massive pain in the bottom after a while.  

The whole process isn't hard, it's just a little tedious.  It's certainly easier than your average biplane rigging job, but it looks impressive as hell when it's done because it looks like a maze of lines.  I actually did it three times on my 1/144 scratchbuild - once 'backwards' in monofilament, a second time in monofilament when I realized I had a couple of crossed lines, and then a third time in elastic when I decided the monofilament looked too heavy.  Learn from my mistakes.  ;)

yxOXYra.jpg 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ICMF said:

If I might hijack this thread back to the OP for a minute...

Zeppelin Rigging.

It's not really complicated - it's a simple pattern that's easy to wrap your mind around once it's laid out - it's just that there's an awful lot of it, and it's kind of hard to see past the spiderweb of lines.

There's basically two ways to look at it, but they both amount to the same thing: there are six anchor points along the tailplanes (call these 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) and six corresponding anchor points along the envelope (a, b, c, d, e, f).  The rigging lines run from each tailplane 'point' to each envelope 'point'. 

So depending on how you want to look at it, each individual tailplane anchor fans out to each of the envelope anchors (the red lines below: 1-a-1; 1-b-1; 1-c-1...); or each individual envelope anchor fans out to each of the tailplane anchors (the green lines: 1-c-1; 2-c-2; 3-c-3...).  Same thing, just depends on how you want to run the lines.  There is also a set of tailplane bracing lines that run directly between each tailplane, sort of like a series of 'rings' around the tailplane. (1-1-1-1; 2-2-2-2; 3-3-3-3)

2itL5V5.jpg 

A couple of practical notes on the process...  I made small wire eyelets for my envelope mounting points, and was able to run a continuous length of elastic rigging line for each "section" (wrap the rigging around some ultra-fine wire and CA it in place as a needle).  It's not structural like a biplane model, so elastic thread is fine - I'd recommend the finest stuff you can get from Ifini or Uschi.  And most importantly, START FROM THE FRONT, AND MOVE AFT.  If you start from the back, you'll have to thread UNDER your existing lines, and that's just a massive pain in the bottom after a while.  

The whole process isn't hard, it's just a little tedious.  It's certainly easier than your average biplane rigging job, but it looks impressive as hell when it's done because it looks like a maze of lines.  I actually did it three times on my 1/144 scratchbuild - once 'backwards' in monofilament, a second time in monofilament when I realized I had a couple of crossed lines, and then a third time in elastic when I decided the monofilament looked too heavy.  Learn from my mistakes.  ;)

yxOXYra.jpg 

Thanks for that ICMF,I shall be simplifying mine a bit but shall be using this as a reference.

Martian 👽

9 hours ago, ICMF said:

I'd recommend the finest stuff you can get from Ifini or Uschi

Great, I finally see a possible use for Uschis finest, which I have lying around somewhere - this really is like spiderweb, but apart from issues in eyesight and clumsiness I usually deal with it can easily be worked with.

The only thing I am considering; I stumbled through some pictures of Zeppelin tails  around the web, and the rigging at the tail can hardly be seen on them. So, given it isn't captured on contemporary pictures due to graininess of the film, will it look good on a model in 1/350 scale (1/144 might be very easily be something different)?

It's a bit like stencils on an airplane: in 1/48 it looks natural, in 1/144 it's too much.

What's your thoughts here?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Great, I finally see a possible use for Uschis finest, which I have lying around somewhere - this really is like spiderweb, but apart from issues in eyesight and clumsiness I usually deal with it can easily be worked with.

The only thing I am considering; I stumbled through some pictures of Zeppelin tails  around the web, and the rigging at the tail can hardly be seen on them. So, given it isn't captured on contemporary pictures due to graininess of the film, will it look good on a model in 1/350 scale (1/144 might be very easily be something different)?

It's a bit like stencils on an airplane: in 1/48 it looks natural, in 1/144 it's too much.

That's why I am going for a simplified rig on mine. I used Uschi's finest thread on the 1/720 class I did a few years back and it looks good to my eyes.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Good to know, of course love to see pictures (or will look if I can find the WIP). One has to see...

On 1/48 biplanes I usually do I use Uschis standard size for thin wires and EZ line thin for regulars, but find fine to thin in this scale and topic. I need to start my Q-Class soon, but don't expect this to be fast. Your's is turning out great, of course. (But I might be in the wrong thread, I'm afraid?)

Cheers, Guenther

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Depends what look you're going for.  If it's a super realistic, detailed build, I'd add the rigging.  If it's a simpler, more OOB looking build, maybe not.  You want something that's visible but subtle, which is why I actually replaced the monofilament with elastic thread - it was too clunky looking.

On 15/03/2022 at 15:27, Chief Cohiba said:

Good to know, of course love to see pictures (or will look if I can find the WIP). One has to see...

On 1/48 biplanes I usually do I use Uschis standard size for thin wires and EZ line thin for regulars, but find fine to thin in this scale and topic. I need to start my Q-Class soon, but don't expect this to be fast. Your's is turning out great, of course. (But I might be in the wrong thread, I'm afraid?)

Cheers, Guenther

Thanks Guenther, You need to look in Work In Progress for the actual plastic worrying.

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

Get to it, after what you did to the Box kite a Martian of your caliber should have no problems with this....

You mean, drop something on it? I have some extremely fine wire coming from Albion Alloys so I might take a look at that as well on the Takom kits.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

The KITCAT  use's Bayer Ultima 0,06 mm blue grey fishing line and a variety Stroft blue grey fishing line widths ( I wonder where these come from) these are not black and are of consistent width. There is a lot of experimentation on use with Albion Alloys turnbuckles at present and more on this later, If you search for these on Ebay do a general search AND NOT for Stroft line because you will be charged loads.

Now I've told you

• Thanks 1

You mean, drop something on it? 

I thought that was all part of the Grand Plan! keeping the ever watchful Hun completely orf guard etc.

Is the wire from AA the nickel silver 0.1mm stuff? if so it'll be interesting to see you get your tentacles wrapped around it...

• Like 1