Zeppelins

Martian

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Please tell me you still prefer enamels!

I must be losing it. I had to do a double take, I could have sworn that said "animals"!

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

raise a glass of Old Scrotum and shout God save the King. 

That would make it "God shave the King", then.

Or Queen, which raises even darker questions, and definitely a need for more Old Scrotum to help erase the memories!

Ian (off to seek help)

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

Actually she thinks Britmodeller is good for me from a mental health and social point of view. 

That says a metric ton about your current mental health  state! (It took almost seven years of exposure to Martian, Melchett, and CC to corrupt me- but I'm loving every minute of it!) :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 6

43 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

That says a metric ton about your current mental health  state! (It took almost seven years of exposure to Martian, Melchett, and CC to corrupt me- but I'm loving every minute of it!) :giggle:

Mike

Billy Connolly: " One more fer Us, One less fer Them!"

• Haha 5

The United Worlds of the Solar System has taken note of the bizarre comments in this thread and, concerned for the stability of the parties involved, has dispatched the Orbit Jet (commanded by yours truly) to monitor the situation lest things get out of hand. I fear, however, that we may already be too late.

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

I fear, however, that we may already be too late.

Due, no doubt, to the bumper to bumper truck traffic on IH35! :giggle:

Mike

You're supposed to fly OVER the land, not overland! (Hope the Orbit Jet is not Westinghouse J-34 powered, or you'll never get to your destination!)

Thanks a pants full, by the way for your Mavs putting a whuppin' on our Spurs the other night!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Due, no doubt, to the bumper to bumper truck traffic on IH35! :giggle:

Mike

You're supposed to fly OVER the land, not overland! (Hope the Orbit Jet is not Westinghouse J-34 powered, or you'll never get to your destination!)

Thanks a pants full, by the way for your Mavs putting a whuppin' on our Spurs the other night!

The Orbit Jet is powered by the latest in proton-fueled turboencabulation technology. No need for puny suck-blow engines from washing machine manufacturers.

Mavs 'whupping' Spurs??? The Space Rangers are too busy these days to take note of trivial Earth 'sporting' events.

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Mavs 'whupping' Spurs??? The Space Rangers are too busy these days to take note of trivial Earth 'sporting' events.

Seems to be a pattern here- Spurs (UK Premier League Soccerball team to our colonial friends) are taking a few "whuppings" here too

IanJ

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Mrs T thinks its good for me on the received wisdom amongst Health Care Professionals that doing something and having hobbies is generally good for people and their physical and mental health. 

She never reads the posts and so has no idea of the state of madness that occasionally prevails. 

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Mrs T thinks its good for me on the received wisdom amongst Health Care Professionals that doing something and having hobbies is generally good for people and their physical and mental health. 

She never reads the posts and so has no idea of the state of madness that occasionally prevails. 

Occasionally?:fool:😜:hobbyhorse:

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Mr T said:

Actually she thinks Britmodeller is good for me from a mental health and social point of view. 

Speaks volumes for the state of Mrs T's mental health!

11 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

pssst General.... (Whispers) God Save the Queen.

Hope he cottons on soon: Her Majesty recently had her Naughty Corner moved to the Tower!

8 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

The United Worlds of the Solar System has taken note of the bizarre comments in this thread and, concerned for the stability of the parties involved, has dispatched the Orbit Jet (commanded by yours truly) to monitor the situation lest things get out of hand. I fear, however, that we may already be too late.

Several decades too late as it happens.

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Occasionally?:fool:😜:hobbyhorse:

Occasionally, spelt inevitably methinks.

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

This thread hasn't drifted so much as been taken by the scruff of the neck and dragged into the wilderness ... keep it up, it's wonderful entertainment!

I don't think there is much chance of any sanity breaking out here anytime soon.

Martian 👽

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

Now that you have our collective undivided attention, Martian, let the actual modeling begin!

Mike

The modelling will commence after Telford.

Martian 👽

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, Martian said:

The modelling will commence after Telford.

Martian 👽

Don't be too sad @72modeler and @RAF4EVER. I have the Hunley build to finish in time for Telford, which is taking up all of my work bench. I am going on from Telford to see my brother for the first time in two years, for two or three days and will be starting the WIP thread by 15th or 16th of this month. I am as impatient as you to get started for the following reasons.

My greatly loved Granny Brockhouse was a children's governess, working for a wealthy family in London during the First World War and used to tell me stories of the first Zeppelin raids. One story in particular stands out. She was on a night out in London's West End with her elder sister Hilda when a raid began. She spotted a zeppelin, most probably caught in searchlights and pointed it out to her sister who steadfastly refused to believe that what they could see was a zeppelin! Quite what my Aunt Hilda thought what else this massive cigar shaped object in the sky, accompanied by the sound of explosions could have been is beyond me. Equally beyond me is why they stood in the street arguing about whether it was a zeppelin or not, rather than taking cover and carrying on their conversation somewhere safer. I have managed to identify the zeppelin as the L.15 and the raid as being on 13th/14 October 1915. This was the only raid on the West End and the only other zeppelin over London that night was the L.13. The L.13 however was dropping bombs over Woolwich.

Shortly after this raid, My Grandmother's employer moved her and his children to Folkestone to be safe from the raids, where they were in May 1917 when the first Gotha raid took place. Granny Brockhouse and her charges were then moved to Bournemouth for the rest of the war.

As a result of my Grandmother's stories, I have always had a great interest in zeppelins. I built one of the Mark 1 1/720 kits a few years back which I greatly enjoyed. And might have left things at that. Then, back in September of this year something happened.

I had taken Mrs Martian for a short break in Suffolk and when we had done most of the things she wanted to do, she asked me if there was anything I wanted to do. I knew there was a large chunk from the zeppelin L48 in the porch of the church at a village called Theberton, only a few miles from where we were staying so I said I would like to get a picture or two. Sadly, when we went to the church we found it was locked up, despite a notice saying it was meant to be open. No matter, I knew there was another part of the zeppelin in a museum in the town of Leiston where we were staying. When I went to the museum, I asked the two ladies at the ticket office if they still had their zeppelin display. They replied that they had but, on seeing my crutches, expressed doubts as to my ability to access the display as it was up two flights of vey steep and narrow stairs. Red rag to a bull time! I told them why I was so interested in their display and explained that I was going to give it a try anyway. When they realised just how interested I was, they asked my to wait a minute and showed a souvenir booklet that was produced at the time of the L.48's shooting down. This had a lot of the information I had been seeking but sadly, had been out of print for over a hundred years. Anyway, I did get to the display and took some photographs and then dragged myself back down the stairs to the ticket office where I was going to purchase a small book on Leiston and the Great War.  I was a very hot day and I was drenched in sweat and breathless by the time I got back to the ticket office, The two ladies made me sit down and get my breath back and produced a cold drink for me and gave me something  to wipe the worst of the sweat off my brow. Then they produced a scan of the book they had showed me, that they had run off for me when I was looking at the zeppelin display. Upon my remarking as to how extremely kind of then it was, they replied that they could see just how much it meant to me to get to see the zeppelin parts. Naturally, I left a hefty donation to the museum. I was pretty much blown away by their kindness and still am. But there was more!

Whilst I had been in the museum, Mrs Martian had found the number of the church warden of the church at Theberton and had established that the church was open. We drove the few miles to Theberton where I was able to take the pictures I wanted in the first place. Whist there, I got talking to the vicar and in the course of our conversation the story of the events at the museum came up. I was surprised when, instead of just a polite reply, the vicar said that it was so nice to hear some good news for a change and that it had cheered his day up. He had just come from officiating at a memorial service for someone who had died during lockdown and said it was just one of many he had had and still had to perform. Upon our return to our hotel an advance order for two of Takom's zeppelin kits was duly placed.

I don't think I will ever forget that day and the kindness shown to me on that day. So you see, this project is so much more than the usual build for me, it's very personal and that is why it has gone straight to the top of the build pile. I will also be converting Mark 1 models' R Class Zeppelin into a facsimile of the L.48.

Martian 👽

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

That is a wonderful story that shows how kind  people can be and thank you for sharing your experience. 

Mrs T is the about the sanest person I know (which might not be a very good guide). She is full of commonsense and compassion for others, but lacks an understanding of the really important things in life like modelling. Still none of us are perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What a great experience Martian! We had a Suffolk/Norfolk road trip at the end of this summer, and stayed with friends for a few days in a little village called Middleton. We went for a good stomp on the Sunday, and passed through nearby Theberton, visiting the crash site, and the memorial plaque to the crew in the church graveyard. Like you, we found the church shut, but could peer through the iron grill to just glimpse the halowed relic held within. A few days later were were camping near Cromer, and made a point of visiting the Mucklebrugh Collection, where there is a small display of L48 Zeppelin related info.

Another stop off on the road trip was my old mucka Tim, who has been collecting Zeppelin trinkets for 30 odd years. Prize possession among the tiny rings and brooches made from scraps of aluminium is a rather lovely engraved 'food locker'. (from L.33)

Not a Zeppelin tour, but the syncronicity of these seperate events must be a sign for another kit purchase, surely?

51385172241_b2affb6e04.jpg

Hill House Holidays Weekend by Mike, on Flickr

51385172951_921df53c88.jpg

Hill House Holidays Weekend by Mike, on Flickr

51387398228_e1e7a7f790.jpg

4 days in East Runton, Cromer by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 8

What a wonderful and touching story, Martian! Thank you for sharing it with us. It is heartening to know there are still good people among the crazies! If I may, I would like to share a similar story. My late father was born and raised in Wisconsin, and in the sixties, his father who was in a nursing home, was dying. My father, who was a USAF officer at the time, piled us in the car so we could drive to Wisconsin to see him. From Dyess AB, Texas to Racine, Wisconsin is a long, two day drive, and after being on the road all day, my Dad was looking for a motel to stay for the night, but there seemed to be no vacancies; we drove on for quite a while, and finally my Dad stopped at a motel, even though it had a 'No Vacancy' sign lit up in front, (Fellow Yanks my age will remember those!) and asked if there was possibly a cancellation. I guess the manager, who was a very sweet elderly lady, took pity on us- my Dad, Mom and my sister, (I think I was twelve and she was nine at the time.) and said  we could stay in her apartment which was above the office. In the master bedroom was an American flag on a pole, a shadow case with insignia and medals, and a huge oil painting of what my father later told me was a flight of B-24's in desert pink. The lady's son had been a pilot in the first disastrous Ploesti raid and had been killed. My Dad then told me all about the raid and what the medals were for. To this day, I still remember her kindness to my family and all the cherished mementos she had kept of her son. I wish I had written down his name, as this many years later,  I could have done research and maybe discovered the serial and/or markings to make a tribute B-24D. I apologize for the digression, but @Martian's touching story reminded me of that night.

Mike

Keep 'em flying!

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 10

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

What a wonderful and touching story, Martian! Thank you for sharing it with us. It is heartening to know there are still good people among the crazies! If I may, I would like to share a similar story. My late father was born and raised in Wisconsin, and in the sixties, his father who was in a nursing home, was dying. My father, who was a USAF officer at the time, piled us in the car so we could drive to Wisconsin to see him. From Dyess AB, Texas to Racine, Wisconsin is a long, two day drive, and after being on the road all day, my Dad was looking for a motel to stay for the might, but there seemed to be no vacancies; we drove on for quite a while, and finally my Dad stopped at a motel, even though it had a 'No Vacancy' sign lit up in front, (Fellow Yanks my age will remember those!) and asked if there was possibly a cancellation. I guess the manager, who was a very sweet elderly lady, took pity on us- my Mom and my sister, (I think I was twelve and she was nine at the time.) and said  we could stay in her apartment which was above the office. In the master bedroom was an American flag on a pole, a shadow case with insignia and medals, and a huge oil painting of what my father later told me was a flight of B-24's in desert pink. The lady's son had been a pilot in the first disastrous Ploesti raid and had been killed. My Dad then told me all about the raid and what the medals were for. To this day, I still remember her kindness to my family and all the cherished mementos she had kept of her son. I wish I had written down his name, as this many years later,  I could have done research and maybe discovered the serial and/or markings to make a tribute B-24D. I apologize for the digression, but @Martian's touching story reminded me of that night.

Mike

Keep 'em flying!

No apology needed Mike. That's a great story and thanks for sharing it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Really great story my dear Alien !

How warming it is to listen too... Especially for a CC stranded in Belgium instead of being in Telford !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Really great story my dear Alien !

How warming it is to listen too... Especially for a CC stranded in Belgium instead of being in Telford !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Incidentally, has anyone heard anything more on the 1/144 Zeppelin that Mikro-Mir announced they were going to release?

Martian 👽

6 hours ago, Martian said:

Thanks CC. Incidentally, has anyone heard anything more on the 1/144 Zeppelin that Mikro-Mir announced they were going to release?

Martian 👽

I did'nt hear about it.

I must have some pics of the gondolas from a Zeppelin

There's one or two in Musée des armées in Bruxelles.

Is this of any interest ?

CC

• Thanks 1

There are still genuinely good people out there. Here on the crescent (Ex RAF Officers Married Quarters at Hemswell, Lincs.

My neighbour got some fireworks at cost price. I got some bottles of beer from work and he put out a flier to everyone for a charity night.

Tonights firework display was fabulous, as were the hot dogs, mushy peas, Hot chocolate & Baileys and the beer. 

On a voluntary contribution basis amongst the fifty or so people who turned up we raised just over six hundred pounds for the Royal British Legion. :poppy:

Martian, this one is obviously personal. Take your time and enjoy it. It's for a good cause. Therapy.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

I did'nt hear about it.

I must have some pics of the gondolas from a Zeppelin

There's one or two in Musée des armées in Bruxelles.

Is this of any interest ?

CC

Yes please CC anything you have would be of help.

Martian 👽

• Like 1