Zeppelins

Martian

I have just taken delivery of the new Takom 1/350 P Class Zeppelin, with the Q Class from the same company on order. I have a lot of information on WW1 Zeppelins but am struggling to find out what the rigging supporting the tail surfaces looked like. I am given to understand that it is somewhat complicated and will probably have to be simplified a bit in this scale but I can only make out the odd wire in all the many pictures I have. Is any kind soul able to assist please?

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, KITCAT said:

Never mind the rigging Martian What's the kit like?

Xena warrior princess

The kit looks very well moulded and should fit together well but the hull does come in four parts and may well need the joints strengthening. No big deal if one is aware of the potential issue. The etch brass for the outriggers may be a bit too two dimensional for some tastes but OK for others. The stands provided in the kit are woeful and some creative thinking is going to be needed on this front but I think I have a cunning plan forming for that. I would certainly recommend getting these kits as they are going to be easier than the Mark+1 models 1/720 kits. Ask me how I know this! :banghead:

My Grand Mother used to tell me of her experiences of Zeppelin raids during WW1and these will form the basis of a Zeppelin work in progress directly after Telford. I am itching to get started now but I have at least one build I need to get finished for the show.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KITCAT said:

I am down for these with my LMS but as you say for warned is for armed, anyway see you at Telford,

I look forward to having a chat. It shouldn't be hard to find me, you know, the large, blue scaly betentacled, noisy one with antennae in a buggy.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Not sure if you use Facebook, but Ray Rimell has a Zeppelin page there. Worth a shot!

Ian

Thanks Ian; off to check it out now.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Question though Martian..... Will the Zeppelin have any Rivets? I'm asking for someone:hmmm:

Evil child! you know perfectly well that there will be no rivets! Although continued bad behaviour may well result in a certain denizen of the Naughty Corner, and we are not talking about @corsaircorphere, gaining a few rivetlike lumps on the more tender parts of their anatomy. :fight:

Miffed of Mars 👽

• Haha 8

My Grand Mother used to tell me of her experiences of Zeppelins

A little too much information here Martian:coolio:...seriously, though, when we chatted about all things Zeppelin recently I mentioned that my grandparents recalled the downing of both, SL-11 (a Schutte-Lanz wooden-framed airship rather than a metal-framed Zeppelin) in Cuffley by William Leefe Robinson and, nearer to home, Potter's Bar (literally half a mile away, in Oakmere Park) the crashing of L-13, an R-class, bought down by Wulstan Joseph Tempest. Both pilots belonged to No 39 Home Defence Squadron.

For anyone interested here's an account of both incidences.

Hertfordshire Zeppelin crashes

That just got you a couple of nights out with general melchett!

Damn, means I'll have to 'do my hair', break out my steel-tipped stilettos and get Darling to iron my party frock....(that's Melchett's 'Save the Two-Legged Badger wrapped in a Curtain' party). After all, when all's said and done, we have the reputation of the regiment to consider...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

On 20/10/2021 at 15:12, Martian said:

I look forward to having a chat. It shouldn't be hard to find me, you know, the large, blue scaly betentacled, noisy one with antennae in a buggy.

Martian 👽

If it helps, a friend is making me a flag for the buggy. In order to help me stand out from the crowd she says?

Bemused of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm not even going to THINK about what might be on said flag to make a blue painted, multi-limbed Martian in a buggy "stand out from the crowd"!!!

Ian

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

I'm not even going to THINK about what might be on said flag to make a blue painted, multi-limbed Martian in a buggy "stand out from the crowd"!!!

Ian

I must confess to some trepidation myself after what she did to our beloved @general melchett at SMW 2019. I am given to understand that she is working on something for him as well!

Apprehensive of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

To clarify Ian, it was my friend Elaine, a professional artist, who produced those wonderful Battle Y-Fronts that Melchie was wearing at SMW 2019. There was some talk of purple shredded sporrans and regimental kilts for his Generalship this year. As to what the extremely worrying question of what Generals of the imperial General Staff wear under their kilts, we may get away with not having a demonstration if some brave/suicidal soul can stop him doing the Highland Fling.

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

Hello Dear tentacled one !!

Who said that there are no rivets on a Zeppelin...

There are plenty of it... So much rivets that our beloved martian will flee and join up on Venus.....

C'mon Martian, don't throw yourself in this riveting madness... Let's have a beer with @LorenSharp and @72modeler in the naughty corner !!

Welcoming CC

On the other hand, I'll have a look in my files....

Stay safe Gents !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 4

"the extremely worrying question of what Generals of the imperial General Staff wear under their kilts, we may get away with not having a demonstration if some brave/suicidal soul can stop him doing the Highland Fling."

That almost makes me glad that I won't be able to attend this year!

Next year though is my father's 90th on Nov 7th so I shall be there!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

As to what the extremely worrying question of what Generals of the imperial General Staff wear under their kilts, we may get away with not having a demonstration if some brave/suicidal soul can stop him doing the Highland Fling.

And to answer that vexed question is none other than my good friend and fellow Harrovian full-back, Field Marshal Sir Hamish McSporran-Cabertoss MBE, VC and Blue Peter gold badge, showing us the way forward, up and down, in style. The men certainly look up to him!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, general melchett said:

And to answer that vexed question is none other than my good friend and fellow Harrovian full-back, Field Marshal Sir Hamish McSporran-Cabertoss MBE, VC and Blue Peter gold badge, showing us the way forward, up and down, in style. The men certainly look up to him!

🤮:suicide:

• Haha 3

I find it more than disturbing that Melchie knew where to find such a video nasty. Has he been on the dark web perchance? It would certainly be fiendishly difficult to find anything darker than this!

Traumatised of Mars 👽

• Haha 5

Has he been on the dark web perchance?

I'll have you know that this was dredged up from the depths of Baldrick's private 'For Connoisseurs Only' collection, apparently it's one of the tamer ones...his archive of Welsh farmers Eisteddfod sheep-worrying techniques is far worse...allegedly :sheep:  :wicked:

• Haha 7

On 10/25/2021 at 5:10 PM, Brandy said:

"the extremely worrying question of what Generals of the imperial General Staff wear under their kilts, we may get away with not having a demonstration if some brave/suicidal soul can stop him doing the Highland Fling."

That almost makes me glad that I won't be able to attend this year!

Next year though is my father's 90th on Nov 7th so I shall be there!

Ian

Me too !! 

Fingers crossed that this quarabrine stuff become an old story !!

CC

• Like 3