Jump to content

1/72nd Airfix Vampire T.11, 45 Sqn. RAF Butterworth, Malaya, 1956


Recommended Posts

Hiya Folks,,....

                     Another once across the line,..... and one more addition to my growing 45 Sqn collection. This is the excellent little Airfix 1/72nd Vampire T.11 with decals from Xtradecal and a couple of old Aeroclub metal seats were put into the cockpit to help with nose weight. The model was painted using Tamiya rattle can bare metal silver and brush painted with matt varnish to better replicate RAF Hight Speed Silver. I tried to make it look well weathered due to the tropical climate,.... but I may have over done it?;

 

DSCF2472-NEW.jpg

DSCF2475-NEW.jpg

DSCF2478-NEW.jpg

DSCF2479-NEW.jpg

DSCF2468-NEW.jpg

DSCF2451-NEW.jpg

DSCF2469-NEW.jpg

DSCF2471-NEW.jpg

DSCF2459-NEW.jpg

 

And next up,.... I`m tackling the same kit but with the High Planes conversion to make the early variant with framed hood, no ejector seats and smaller fins,..... which also includes decals for a 45 Sqn aircraft,... photos of the real aircraft show that it did in fact have roundels on the booms, so the image below must be a printing error;

DSCF2482.jpg

images.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vultures1 said:

Very nicely done indeed! Excellent finish that looks spot on to me - well done

Thanks mate,.... and cheers for the re assurance!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking model again Tony- panel lines look just right. I too have a stock of Aeroclub seats- sadly running down.

Colin

Thanks Colin,..... sadly being the operative word for sure,...... I save them for special occasions these days and reclaim them from old built up models!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Fabulous Tony. Really really nice.

You can't beat the Airfix T.11 can you? So many paint options and squadron markings to choose from.

Thanks mate,..... yeah cracking, simple little kit, cheap enough and as you say,..... so many decal options! Everything a kit manufacturer should look for. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo that looks lovely Tony,  cracking work and doesn't look overdone.  Got one in the stash to do as a Naval machine.  Your next one looks very interesting too.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... I`ve done a naval one already and I`ll look forward to seeing yours pal,.... I quite fancy doing an early one in naval colours too,..... I bought a conversion set to do one,..... and cannot find it anywhere,..... must be in the same place as my C-130 flaps,.... just vanished into thin air!

vamp-1.jpg

 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The T22 looks fabulous Tony, great model and inspiration too, not sure which scheme to do yet? 

Hopefully you'll be able to find the illusive bits soon as the early Naval machine would be wonderful too.

Chris 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice pair, Tony! I think the finish came out just right and looks suitably sun baked. The Airfix T11 is one heckuva kit, and I think it is one of their best- holding onto a very faint hope that they might do a Sea Venom or a Venom  in the future in our scale, but not bloody likely as you say on your side of the pond! Keep 'em coming- I enjoy seeing each and every one! :like:

 Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two awesome looking Vampires Tony. They both look superb.

 

It seems like you can bring these 1/72 aircraft to life!

 

Terry

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The T22 looks fabulous Tony, great model and inspiration too, not sure which scheme to do yet? 

Hopefully you'll be able to find the illusive bits soon as the early Naval machine would be wonderful too.

Chris 

Cheers Chris,.....

 

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Nice pair, Tony! I think the finish came out just right and looks suitably sun baked. The Airfix T11 is one heckuva kit, and I think it is one of their best- holding onto a very faint hope that they might do a Sea Venom or a Venom  in the future in our scale, but not bloody likely as you say on your side of the pond! Keep 'em coming- I enjoy seeing each and every one! :like:

 Mike

Cheers Mike,.... yeah it is a superb little kit. I reckon that they could do a single seat Vampire out of it with a new nose,...... but a Venom would have to be a whole new kit. I`d love to see a new 1/72nd single seat Venom and also a Sea Venom,...... the only thing is,..... there are not as many different colour schemes,..... so maybe less interest to Airfix? I hope not!

 

7 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Two awesome looking Vampires Tony. They both look superb.

 

It seems like you can bring these 1/72 aircraft to life!

 

Terry

 Cheers Terry,..... I wouldn`t go that far mate,... but ta!  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant job on that little jet, Tony! The weathering looks fine to me. Even the normally well-maintained Shackletons ended looking a bit tatty after a few years in that climate (at Changi in Singapore).

 

Regards,

 

Jason

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Brilliant job on that little jet, Tony! The weathering looks fine to me. Even the normally well-maintained Shackletons ended looking a bit tatty after a few years in that climate (at Changi in Singapore).

 

Regards,

 

Jason

Thanks Jason,...... glad you like it and cheers for the kind comment too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice one Tony, it does look the part. 👍 

I already have a couple of these, but now, that conversion looks a bit compelling, maybe I need another. :unsure: At least it is still available. :)

Steve.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nice one Tony, it does look the part. 👍 

I already have a couple of these, but now, that conversion looks a bit compelling, maybe I need another. :unsure: At least it is still available. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... yeah nice kit,.... and the conversio seems very simple too. 

 

6 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Two lovely builds, I much prefer the early silver and yellow schemes to the later day-glow ones .

 

Wulfman

Thanks mate,..... yeah me too,.... I do like the silver and Trainer Yellow schemes. 

 

4 hours ago, F-32 said:

Cracking job , looks awesome

Thanks mate. 

 

3 hours ago, twinpin said:

Both look absolutely brilliant

Cheers mate. 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know what I hate?  It's when I'm just about to finish a kit and am looking forward to RFI'ing it and then someone steals my thunder completely by not only beating me to the punch but they do so with a real corker of a model...

 

Mumble mumble grumble, that's what I say!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

You know what I hate?  It's when I'm just about to finish a kit and am looking forward to RFI'ing it and then someone steals my thunder completely by not only beating me to the punch but they do so with a real corker of a model...

 

Mumble mumble grumble, that's what I say!

 

 

Oh I`m really sorry mate,..... but please do still post yours,..... I`m sure it is much better. Don`t let me stop you,..... I for one really want to see it!

 

19 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That’s a lil gem, Tony. You do excellent work in 72. 

Thanks mate,.... that is very kind of you. 

 

9 hours ago, kapam said:

Very cool!

I think the look is just right for a jet based in Malaysia.

:clap2::clap2:

Thanks mate and thanks for your kind words re the weathering too. 

 

9 hours ago, David A Collins said:

Lovely Vampire 👍

Thanks David.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...