The Early/Late, a passage of time build. We’re in the Bunfight for 2024

Now taking what Ive told Bianfuxia above. You meaning anyone looking for ideas. Anybody could take a late model spitfire and do a Battle of Britain movie scheme on it ? This would show both an early and late aspect of the Spitfires life. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I think I have sussed out what I may be doing and it doesn't involve German war machinery. I'm thinking Chevy Corvette, 1950s to 2020s. I have the first series in the stash but just have to wait for Revell to release the eighth series. I need a title too. I was thinking along the lines of Beauty and the Beast, but that doesn't really do justice to the newer version. It's rather nice.

• Like 4

That reminds me of the meme about a new Mustang giving a classic Mustang a father's day card and the original replying, you're not my son- you're adopted 😁

But I love the idea and had been thinking of the Toyota land cruiser equivalent until I settled upon 73 sqn for my dad 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stef N. said:

I think I have sussed out what I may be doing and it doesn't involve German war machinery. I'm thinking Chevy Corvette, 1950s to 2020s. I have the first series in the stash but just have to wait for Revell to release the eighth series. I need a title too. I was thinking along the lines of Beauty and the Beast, but that doesn't really do justice to the newer version. It's rather nice.

Corvette’s from the original to modern ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

I'll go down the car route too.  Airfix Mini from the '60s, plus Airfix Mini from the 2000's.  Fingers crossed!

Maybe the ones from the two versions of the Italian job, or possibly rally racers would be a good option also. Rally is my favorite race style and I rarely if ever get to see one this side of the pond. Makes me jealous of all you lot from Europe. You get rally, F1, and so many nicer options when it comes to sports. If only I could afford to live there I would. Though when it comes to Premier League Football Im a bit of an oddity. Im a Man U fan and I also like the “Gunner’s” from Arsenal. Yes I know they're mortal enemies … told you I was Odd. My wife is a Liverpool fan so we really are at odd’s when it comes to Football. 

• Haha 4

I love this GB idea and the cool ideas everyone is coming up with. It's going to be my first vote, really hope it gets through the bunfight. I've got a few ideas - all early/late versions of the same airframe:

The Lockheed Martin CATBird, which started out as a Lufthansa 737-300:

070301-F-0289B-021.JPG

Northrop Grumman's BAC One Eleven (which also flew in American and Dan-Air colours):

74696a33abfbbb2292040e078ce2c45e891e4733

NASA's Landing Systems Research Aircraft - a Convair 990 modified to test the Shuttle's tyres, which was once flown by American Airlines:

EC94-42596-1.jpg

And a Manx Airlines Viscount - probably G-BFZL, the last Viscount I flew in - the 'early' could be, amongst others, Trans Australia Airlines, RAAF, the Sultan of Oman's Air Force, or British Midland - or Manx could be the (not very) early and the late could be the airline it ended its days with in Zaire.

I'm sure other ideas will come to me as well. In the meantime, vote for this GB everyone!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Maybe the ones from the two versions of the Italian job, or possibly rally racers would be a good option also. Rally is my favorite race style and I rarely if ever get to see one this side of the pond. Makes me jealous of all you lot from Europe. You get rally, F1, and so many nicer options when it comes to sports. If only I could afford to live there I would. Though when it comes to Premier League Football Im a bit of an oddity. Im a Man U fan and I also like the “Gunner’s” from Arsenal. Yes I know they're mortal enemies … told you I was Odd. My wife is a Liverpool fan so we really are at odd’s when it comes to Football. 

Life-long Man City fan here. Sorry (but not a lot!) about yesterday! Here in Australia there's no end of sports options (Aussie Rules Football which is a bit weird but I enjoy it, Rugby league and union, cricket, proper football, F1 and local motor racing, etc and so on) but I miss going to City's matches. Just having them on at a decent time of day would be nice - kick-off last night was 2.30am for me - watching it at that time when I have to get up on Monday morning really isn't an option! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zebra said:

Life-long Man City fan here. Sorry (but not a lot!) about yesterday!

Looking forward to your build(s). We all have are good and bad days. No need to apologize as we both like Manchester teams. Incidentally if I could move to the UK it would be in the area probably in between Manchester and Liverpool. That or in the Yorkshire - Leeds area as that is where my ancestors come from. I wouldn't mind Australia either one of my biggest regrets was passing on a job in Oz. I also passed on a job in Kenya and thats another big regret. To be able to live in either location would be a dream. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

How’s the local subsidiary going?

53296093633_793069fdce_b.jpg

AW

Oof! Not very well from the looks of things. I don’t pay much attention to the A-League but just had a look - they’re not doing well at all

I'm really surprised that there isn't more love for this proposal. I thought it was a really intriguing idea and crucially could play a big part in my Operation Stash Reduction as it's effectively a 2 for 1 deal

Just think 1 vote = 2 builds and no other proposal is offer that sort of value!

• Like 2

I think the prospect of having to build two different models within the time limit of a GB could be a bit off putting as some struggle to finish even one in time. While there are some people here that have entire stashes devoted to a single type, others might not have two suitable model kits at hand too.

It's a shame that the GB probably wont get though the bunfight tho, it would have been very interesting to see all the different approaches to each build.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I'm really surprised that there isn't more love for this proposal. I thought it was a really intriguing idea and crucially could play a big part in my Operation Stash Reduction as it's effectively a 2 for 1 deal

Just think 1 vote = 2 builds and no other proposal is offer that sort of value!

I agree but had the poor luck of falling in a bunfight year with too many good choice’s. 

6 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I think the prospect of having to build two different models within the time limit of a GB could be a bit off putting as some struggle to finish even one in time. While there are some people here that have entire stashes devoted to a single type, others might not have two suitable model kits at hand too.

It's a shame that the GB probably wont get though the bunfight tho, it would have been very interesting to see all the different approaches to each build.

True but gave many options for using only one build ? I think it’s related more to there being too many choices in the bunfight. 

• Like 3

On 11/6/2023 at 6:33 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree but had the poor luck of falling in a bunfight year with too many good choice’s. 

True but gave many options for using only one build ? I think it’s related more to there being too many choices in the bunfight. 

It's a shame this one looks like it's not going to make it, it was a great idea. I think we can put it down to having too many choices and some of them seem to have a pretty broad appeal.

I like a GB like this one that makes me think a little bit about how to fit the brief and sadly none of the current front-runners really do that. So when the time comes I'm going to try to fit a couple of the builds that would have happened in Early/Late into one of the other GBs (Dennis, feel free to remind me I said that!). I can't see which one the CATBird would fit but the Convairs, Viscounts and One Elevens can all be done in the Baby Boomers GB. Would have been nice to do them in Early/Late though.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zebra said:

I can't see which one the CATBird would fit

You could almost do it in the F-35 STGB I’m hosting? Indeed, I would seek the counsel of @Enzo the Magnificent on this, but perhaps you could have a build thread in the GB but just post completed pics to the inspiration gallery? 🤔 Just a thought.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wings unlevel said:

You could almost do it in the F-35 STGB I’m hosting? Indeed, I would seek the counsel of @Enzo the Magnificent on this, but perhaps you could have a build thread in the GB but just post completed pics to the inspiration gallery? 🤔 Just a thought.

A lot of other GBs have done exctly that.  If you want to do it in your GB, then please go ahead.  You are the boss, after all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

A lot of other GBs have done exctly that.  If you want to do it in your GB, then please go ahead.  You are the boss, after all.

Thanks Enzo. @zebra, would love for you to be able to build the CATbird in the F-35 STGB like that then. Totally up to you of course, but you’d be most welcome.

• Like 1