The Early/Late, a passage of time build. We’re in the Bunfight for 2024

Good afternoon/evening everyone… I really really shouldnt be doing this as I have a possible five+ builds for next year already. Maybe this will make it for 2023 ? Currently Im building two Phantoms in the STGB. A before and after if you will. Many people have commented that they like the idea and now Im thinking is it a strong enough idea for a group build. For those of us on budget’s this wouldn't require two models either. You could split the model down the middle or diagonally to give it both half's. 
        So my proposal is this, whatever your subject is it needs to show it at an early point and late point in its life. This could be done for aircraft, armor, ships, cars, and even railroad equipment. Everyone of those subjects usually gets passed down to a second or even third user. Some examples are Airliners or the Phantom I’ve done. Tanks and other military equipment gets sold on when the newer generation shows up. Good example is a T-34 that started life in one place like the Soviet union but was recently seen in Yemen.      

Ships well a great example is the ARA General Belgrano. Started life in the US Navy and died in Argentinian waters. Who hasn't owned a second hand car, some of us even re-paint them. Though a better example would be a 1966 Mustang and a hot rodded version from say 1985. And last but not least, Railroads sell on older equipment and two variations on livery. Or one company buys out another, good case is when Burlington Northern bought out ATSF. They equipment then became BNSF. 
        Going to add some basic ideas and guidelines here.

1.The subjects can show one vehicle/aircraft/Ship at the beginning and later stages of existence. 

2. The subject can show an early and late version of the same type of vehicle (example:Spitfire Mk.I and Spitfire Mk.24)

3. The subject can show prototype or stock variant to a later modified variant. 

4. For space or Budget limitations Teams of two or more members are allowed. Post should reflect that you're a team. Either by sharing the same thread or by linking to each others threads. 

5. to include any two subjects that share a link of any kind - provided that they show a chronological progression. So a minimum of 3-5 years between subjects is acceptable ? Sufficient time for a unit to have camouflage or markings changes. Please ask if you have questions. 

6.(Per @mackem01’s suggestion) The evolution of a squdron/unit over time, for example a first world war aircraft coupled with that squadrons current equipment?

1. corsairfoxfouruncle (Host)

2. @zebra

3. @dnl42

4. @LorenSharp

5. @Col.

6. @vppelt68 

7. @Marklo 

8. @Tim R-T-C

9. @TimJ

10. @Dansk

11. @Torbjorn

12. @franky boy

12a. @modelling minion

14. @mackem01

15. @Rob S

16. @Adam Poultney

17. @alt-92

18. @Beggsy

19. @Mjwomack

20. @CliffB

21. @Stef N.

22. @Rafwaffe

23.  @Bertie McBoatface

24. @jackroadkill

25. @ModelingEdmontonian

26. @Angus Tura

27.  @TonyOD

28. @UberDaveToo

29. @Paul821

🏴‍☠️30. @TEMPESTMK5
31. @Ray_W

32. @FortyEighter

33. @trickyrich

34. @JOCKNEY

35. @Rabbit Leader 

36 @reini

37. @SoftScience

38. @Mig Eater

39. @Andwil

40. @Luke1199

Dennis

♦️♦️Please dont forget to vote in November ♦️♦️

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Really interesting idea Dennis, sign me up.

You’ve really got me thinking. Could do a warbird, racer or fire bomber alongside an earlier incarnation. Plenty of airliners that have changed operators (although that seems too much like an easy option!). But things that went on to a later career in R&D or got re-engined have really got me thinking. Things like engine test beds alongside earlier incarnations. Front of mind are the Honeywell 757 which first flew with Eastern, or the Lockheed-Martin CATBird (a 737-based avionics testbed) which first flew with Lufthansa.

I’ve also had a bit of a crazy idea going round my head for a while to do all the main Stratocruiser variants (including Guppies) in 1/144. This would include the YC-97J (turboprop conversion) which later became the first Super Guppy and ended up with NASA. So that would seem to fit the bill.

• Like 1

Your description seems to focus on the life of a single subject. What about the early and late variants? Spitfire Mk.I v. Mk.24, M4 v. M4A4, DC-3 v. C-47 v. BT-67. It's particularly appropriate for airliners and automotive vehicles.

Dennis, I swear your wild and crazy ideas will be the death of me yet. But be that as it may, sign me up.:doh: I'm just crazy enough to come up with something like a small tank being turned into a plow tractor or some such thing. My self I prefer the Alpha and Omega for early/late. But as you well know your mileage will vary. And yes it has been about a half century since I last built an armour subject. So I think its about time. Don't you?:waiting:

28 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Your description seems to focus on the life of a single subject. What about the early and late variants? Spitfire Mk.I v. Mk.24, M4 v. M4A4, DC-3 v. C-47 v. BT-67. It's particularly appropriate for airliners and automotive vehicles.

Interesting thought, my initial idea was to see the life of one vehicle. However you make a valid point, showing a transition from prototype to final configuration. Airliners in general would be a good example. Another one I hadn't thought of earlier would be the converted flat tops during the War. Including Langley which started life as a collier if memory serves. 

27 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Dennis, I swear your wild and crazy ideas will be the death of me yet. But be that as it may, sign me up.:doh: I'm just crazy enough to come up with something like a small tank being turned into a plow tractor or some such thing. My self I prefer the Alpha and Omega for early/late. But as you well know your mileage will vary. And yes it has been about a half century since I last built an armour subject. So I think its about time. Don't you?:waiting:

A good example of armor being turned from sword into plow. The Sherman tank to logging vehicle conversions are a good option. 

Sign me up Dennis :thumbsup:

Can think of a Hawker Hunter which wore four different sets of colourful squadron markings and now has its nose section preserved. Then there's some Hunter F.4 which were rebuilt as GA.11 or T.7/8 versions. Or a Blackburn Buccaneer in both Royal Navy and later RAF service. Perhaps even desert pink or Thunder City black if I really study the subject :hmmm: Plenty options :) 

• Like 1

I think I get it and it’s quite clever. So pick a subject an depict it at two times in its life, my immediate thoughts are a panzer 38(t) that became a marder or ( although I’ve already built one the Aercorp walrus N20 that is now back in RAF trim as a museum piece.  Or one of the many Aer Corp aircraft that were crash landed  RAF planes ( actually quite a bit of scope there) 

Ok definitely count me in. 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Hmmm a paired build? Not sure if I have anything suitable.

Checks stash

So I'm in! Can we make this a year long GB?

Loads of amazing potential - from rolling out of the factory, to service, crash landing, recovery years later and finally ending up in a museum. Could easily base this on a real aircraft too as most museum pieces have well documented lives.

• Like 2

On 10/19/2021 at 6:56 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Who hasn't owned a second hand car, some of us even re-paint them. Though a better example would be a 1966 Mustang and a hot rodded version from say 1985.

I've got a couple of options for cars, a stock '29 Ford Roadster with a 70's hot rodded version or a stock '49 Mercury and a mid 60's custom version. A more extreme example would be a '66 Pontiac GTO and the Monkeemobile. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I think I get it and it’s quite clever. So pick a subject an depict it at two times in its life, my immediate thoughts are a panzer 38(t) that became a marder or ( although I’ve already built one the Aercorp walrus N20 that is now back in RAF trim as a museum piece.  Or one of the many Aer Corp aircraft that were cars landed  RAF planes ( actually quite a bit of scope there) 

Ok definitely count me in. 

Welcome aboard I will add you to the list. 

1 hour ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Hmmm a paired build? Not sure if I have anything suitable.

Checks stash

So I'm in! Can we make this a year long GB?

Loads of amazing potential - from rolling out of the factory, to service, crash landing, recovery years later and finally ending up in a museum. Could easily base this on a real aircraft too as most museum pieces have well documented lives.

Hello Tim, to save space or £ I suggested the idea of splitting one model with tape so it can be painted two ways if doing the early/late in life idea. 

1 hour ago, TimJ said:

I've got a couple of options for cars, a stock '29 Ford Roadster with a 70's hot rodded version or a stock '49 Mercury and a mid 60's custom version. A more extreme example would be a '66 Pontiac GTO and the Monkeemobile. 

Hello Tim, to see a car would be awesome. I do love the idea of the mercury as both an original, and then a chopped and channeled lead-sled . Though a Monkeemobile would make quite the interesting build. So would a Lincoln Futura/Batmobile from the 1960’s. I will add your name. 

Just now, Dansk said:

A fun gb idea dennis.
Do you have to split one model down the middle or can you build two?  - An early version and a later incarnation

Either way Paul, I figure its easier on the budget or storage space to split on one model. However if you want to do two or three models showing the same subject at varying ages that is fine as well. Im doing the double phantom build using two kits and was the reason behind the build idea. 

Sign me up. I think it’s a really fun idea you thought of.

I like the idea of factory fresh new vs old weathered worn.

either split longtitudinally or two airframes, could be fun to show people how differently one can choose to make a model.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Sign me up. I think it’s a really fun idea you thought of.

I like the idea of factory fresh new vs old weathered worn.

either split longtitudinally or two airframes, could be fun to show people how differently one can choose to make a model.

Welcome aboard Ive added you in @ #10. 

• Thanks 1

Good idea Dennis

Ive been meaning to get around to doing a pre war Spitfire  Mk1  alongside a Mk24 for ages now. 

Please add add me to the list. 

Thanks 

James

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 6:10 PM, Torbjorn said:

I’m always up for Something completely different. Not sure what to built,  but the idea is intriguing.

My apologies for not having seen this until now, I will add you to the list. 

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Good idea Dennis

Ive been meaning to get around to doing a pre war Spitfire  Mk1  alongside a Mk24 for ages now. 

Please add add me to the list. 

Thanks 

James

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

The more I think about this idea the more I like it Dennis.

Some great possibilities spring to mind such as a very weathered recently retired French or Turkish F-100 and the same one when it first entered USAF service, or an F-102 ending up as a target drone.

Hello James and Craig, welcome gentlemen I shall add you to the list right now. 

• Like 2

Silly question and probably outlined above but haven’t had the chance to read it all but does the subject have to be from the same kit and scale?  

Was thinking along the lines of HMS Victorious which is available in 1:700 in WW2 form (from Aoshima or was it Fujimi or Hasegawa?) and in 1:600 in modernised form (from Airfix). 

• Like 1