The Early/Late, a passage of time build. We’re in the Bunfight for 2024

On 1/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, TonyOD said:

That's an interest one. I'd have to do some research but off the top of my head I can't think of a squadron that flew Spitfires as long as the type was around, they tended to convert from/to other types. Famously 19 Squadron received the very first production Spitfire Mk Is and I know they flew Mk XVIs for a bit later on, but I don't really consider a XVI particularly "late" - still had a Merlin engine, for one thing (and would I be able to find decals?) I might stand a better chance with FAA NAS's flying various marques of Seafire.

Tony. I am far from being a spitfire expert but I think that RAuxAF 603 (City of Edinburgh) flew Mk.1s in the B of B and Mk.22s post-war. City of Glasgow (602) flew Mk.1s and 18s certainly, but I think they might well have flown 22s also.

I really hope this GB gets in!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to The Early/Late, a passage of time build. Only 3 more needed but hopefully for 2024
14 minutes ago, UberDaveToo said:

I've wanted to build early F-105s such as these:

spacer.png

May I be #27?

@RidgeRunner or @LorenSharp may know more about these two Thud’s and the complete in air refueling set-up. Shall I add you to the list Uber

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave @UberDaveToo, what is it that you need to know? You will seen some of the obvious differences - F-84F-style rear view glazing, 40099 is an early format machine with different rear, different intakes, etc. (Ed @TheRealMrEd would know about this), lack of cannon etc? Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi Dave @UberDaveToo, what is it that you need to know? You will seen some of the obvious differences - F-84F-style rear view glazing, 40099 is an early format machine with different rear, different intakes, etc. (Ed @TheRealMrEd would know about this), lack of cannon etc? Martin

Thanks, @RidgeRunner, I was really wanting to be added as number 27. I have some reference stuff like this:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...But I'm willing to get any help whatsoever!

• Like 1

I've signed up for this and am still very keen on it, despite having no idea what to actually enter!

Would an 'original' and BMW mini be a suitable pairing? Or are they too far apart in pretty much anything?

Guess a pair of VW Beetles could at least claim to be the same company. but in both cases there's a gap in production. Actually not so sure about Beetle- was the original still being made in S America as the new version was being made in Europe?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I've signed up for this and am still very keen on it, despite having no idea what to actually enter!

Would an 'original' and BMW mini be a suitable pairing? Or are they too far apart in pretty much anything?

Guess a pair of VW Beetles could at least claim to be the same company. but in both cases there's a gap in production. Actually not so sure about Beetle- was the original still being made in S America as the new version was being made in Europe?

Though the Mini is built by two very different companies. They are basically different generation's of the same design so I would be ok with them. Also with the VW I believe they are again different generation's of a standard design. I do believe they were making the original in Mexico and/or Brazil. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I 😀 this idea and have been thinking about possibilities from my stash:

• An airliner that has flown with two different airlines / liveries - the hardest part might be finding that second set of decals.
  • Different aircraft that flew with the same squadron; I've still got my 23Sqn Lightning to build but the others from WWII onwards have already been done or are rare kits (thinking Vampire and Venom NF or a Boston/Havoc here)
  • Perhaps an aircraft that flew with the forces in two different countries eg USN F-4 and F-4J(UK).

To save build time / money would the rules allow for one of the subjects to have already been built / posted on this forum and the other to be part of the GB?  I've only skip read this thread so apologies if the answer to this question is buried somewhere.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I 😀 this idea and have been thinking about possibilities from my stash:

• An airliner that has flown with two different airlines / liveries - the hardest part might be finding that second set of decals.
  • Different aircraft that flew with the same squadron; I've still got my 23Sqn Lightning to build but the others from WWII onwards have already been done or are rare kits (thinking Vampire and Venom NF or a Boston/Havoc here)
  • Perhaps an aircraft that flew with the forces in two different countries eg USN F-4 and F-4J(UK).

To save build time / money would the rules allow for one of the subjects to have already been built / posted on this forum and the other to be part of the GB?  I've only skip read this thread so apologies if the answer to this question is buried somewhere.

Mike

Hello Mike, some ideas from the rules. 

For space or Budget limitations Teams of two or more members are allowed. Post should reflect that you're a team. Either by sharing the same thread or by linking to each others threads.”

Another idea would be to do the F-4J or airliner as a single kit but split the markings. Either down the central axis from nose to tail or on an angle of sorts, say 45*. If anything else comes to mind please ask. Now would it be time to add you to the list ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

As I am always keen to get railway builds into GB's add my name to the list, I'm thinking Airfix/Dapol Rocket and 9f Evening Star first true steam loco'  and the last one built for day to day mainline service.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

As I am always keen to get railway builds into GB's add my name to the list, I'm thinking Airfix/Dapol Rocket and 9f Evening Star first true steam loco'  and the last one built for day to day mainline service.

Ive added you to the list. Very good to see some steam in the build. 

7 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Dennis 

Please add me to the list I don't know yet what I will build but I am sure that I will find something suitable in my stash ...  

Best regards 

Patrice 

Welcome aboard Patrice, you ring in @ # 30 on the list. Ohh @Enzo the Magnificent I believe that puts this into the bunfight category ? 

• Like 2

Fascinating subject Dennis. Really has me thinking. Trying to cut back my GB commitment due to other life commitments so trying to pick something special and this one ticks the box. Two builds in one. Excellent. No subjects chosen yet. Some half-baked ideas. Please, oh please, ICM by 2024 first and last Marauders. Irrespective. I'm in. 

Ray  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Fascinating subject Dennis. Really has me thinking. Trying to cut back my GB commitment due to other life commitments so trying to pick something special and this one ticks the box. Two builds in one. Excellent. No subjects chosen yet. Some half-baked ideas. Please, oh please, ICM by 2024 first and last Marauders. Irrespective. I'm in. 

Ray  

Welcome to the build Ray, a pair of Marauders would be a good choice. 

• Like 1

I keep straying into Entropy GB territory with a new railway item and it's derelict version, but think I'm settled upon a car. At the moment two versions of Toyota Landcruiser- I did a Tamiya one decades ago and there's an Italerai for early version.

Now to get those supporters and this over the line.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to the build Ray, a pair of Marauders would be a good choice. 

Hopefully ICM will come to the party. Otherwise plenty of other subjects that will fit the bill.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 8:09 PM, Mjwomack said:

I keep straying into Entropy GB territory with a new railway item and it's derelict version, but think I'm settled upon a car. At the moment two versions of Toyota Landcruiser- I did a Tamiya one decades ago and there's an Italerai for early version.

Now to get those supporters and this over the line.

If Ray is number 31, is it not already over the line? You'll gather that I'm keen!

Alan

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Good to see this back. Have to start finding some suitable candidates 

My first thought was Walrus N20 which afair started life in the Irish Air Corp in silver dope and is now a museum exhibit in RAF markings and dark green/dark earth camo.

• Like 1