Jump to content

The Early/Late, a passage of time build. Hopefully for 2023


Corsairfoxfouruncle
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Rob S said:

Silly question and probably outlined above but haven’t had the chance to read it all but does the subject have to be from the same kit and scale?  

 

Was thinking along the lines of HMS Victorious which is available in 1:700 in WW2 form (from Aoshima or was it Fujimi or Hasegawa?) and in 1:600 in modernised form (from Airfix). 

 

No it could be different scales, they would be fine to display an early and late variation. Shall I add you to the list ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

No it could be different scales, they would be fine to display an early and late variation. Shall I add you to the list ? 

 

Just thinking out loud and would involve A LOT of work on one of them but could do Victorious in the same scale using the other scale one as a “template” for the “double” in the same scale. 

 

OK sign me up!  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rob S said:

 

Just thinking out loud and would involve A LOT of work on one of them but could do Victorious in the same scale using the other scale one as a “template” for the “double” in the same scale. 

 

OK sign me up!  

 

Ive added you to the list Rob. Welcome aboard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, modelling minion said:

The more I think about this idea the more I like it Dennis.

Some great possibilities spring to mind such as a very weathered recently retired French or Turkish F-100 and the same one when it first entered USAF service, or an F-102 ending up as a target drone.

What a great idea craig. A fresh factory finish vs a target drone. The paint scheme contrasts, particularly with the drone in the equation, would be superb irrespective of aircraft type.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

What a great idea craig. A fresh factory finish vs a target drone. The paint scheme contrasts, particularly with the drone in the equation, would be superb irrespective of aircraft type.

Theres actually quite a few aircraft that have been "retired" as drones from WWII era aircraft up to F-16's, and they're not limited to the US either as the Soviet Union has used retired combat aircraft as drones too, though finding pictures of the same aircraft serial number in both roles would be nearly impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Theres actually quite a few aircraft that have been "retired" as drones from WWII era aircraft up to F-16's, and they're not limited to the US either as the Soviet Union has used retired combat aircraft as drones too, though finding pictures of the same aircraft serial number in both roles would be nearly impossible.

Pictures aren't always needed, I know there are listings of serial #’s as well as Plenty of historical records of the QF aircraft. Ive actually seen an Japanese F-86 that was brought back and used as a USN target at one point. 34JQa53.jpg

 

So I think w can go with historical records. Seeing that the build could focus on an early and late version of the same type. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So I think w can go with historical records. Seeing that the build could focus on an early and late version of the same type. 

Excellent news Dennis.👍

 

have you given any thought to the possibility of two people building the same subject? Building two models for a GB could be a bit daunting but if one wanted to build the new factory fresh model and another person wanted to do the clapped out knackered version (that would be me in so many respects!) then it might get a bit more interest.

Just a thought and it is your GB mate so whatever you say goes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, modelling minion said:

Excellent news Dennis.👍

 

have you given any thought to the possibility of two people building the same subject? Building two models for a GB could be a bit daunting but if one wanted to build the new factory fresh model and another person wanted to do the clapped out knackered version (that would be me in so many respects!) then it might get a bit more interest.

Just a thought and it is your GB mate so whatever you say goes.

Hmm no I hadn't but Im not against the idea of a team build. Like I had mentioned this would also be an option for those limited on space or budget $£€¥. As would doing a split model with 1/2 early and 1/2 late. Though to be fair maybe if doing a team build something more along the lines of the same subject just early and late. So that others know you're a team ? Maybe even posting in the same build thread or using titles that reflect the team aspect of the build. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dansk said:

What a great idea craig. A fresh factory finish vs a target drone. The paint scheme contrasts, particularly with the drone in the equation, would be superb irrespective of aircraft type.

 

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Theres actually quite a few aircraft that have been "retired" as drones from WWII era aircraft up to F-16's, and they're not limited to the US either as the Soviet Union has used retired combat aircraft as drones too, though finding pictures of the same aircraft serial number in both roles would be nearly impossible.

 

One of the Hellcats or similar which fought in dark blue and were later painted in bright yellow or red, would make a great half-and-half build - but not sure what sort of records exist for these, in fact I belive most of those used post-war never flew in anger, being produced very late or after hostilities finished, so in fact they may never have actually carried the USN Blue scheme at all.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A great idea and I have the perfect subject in mind, but given that it would take me at least a year to finish each of the two models I can’t commit to this. Sorry. 😥

 

I will however wish you luck and  if you get it through the bunfight will stand on the sidelines and yell encouragement! 🥳

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday, this is an interesting idea, but as I model mainly warships it's a bit daunting to complete two in a usual GB timeframe. Particularly if they were battleships, many WW1 vintage looked considerably different in WW2.

     If you could relax the rule allowing 25% done by the GB start date to allowing, say 100% I've got two candidates - a generic 1/600 scale Airfix HMS Campbeltown model at the start and either Campbeltown herself as at St Nazaire or HMS Montgomery as at the end of her working life. Hmmm, maybe it's a bit late to use them in this GB afterall. Pity. Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

 

 

One of the Hellcats or similar which fought in dark blue and were later painted in bright yellow or red, would make a great half-and-half build - but not sure what sort of records exist for these, in fact I belive most of those used post-war never flew in anger, being produced very late or after hostilities finished, so in fact they may never have actually carried the USN Blue scheme at all.

I believe some were war weary -3’s and -5’s. I would allow it as a build though. It could fall under the early model, late model rule. Doesnt have to be the same serial just representative of the types career. So an early F6F-3 in the two or three tone camouflage then the target drone. 

 

9 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

A great idea and I have the perfect subject in mind, but given that it would take me at least a year to finish each of the two models I can’t commit to this. Sorry. 😥

 

I will however wish you luck and  if you get it through the bunfight will stand on the sidelines and yell encouragement! 🥳

 

 

Hello Steve … Considering that you do most of your work in wood and metal I understand. If you change your mind though you can represent the two variant's on the same build by splitting the camouflage/markings in some fashion.

 

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, this is an interesting idea, but as I model mainly warships it's a bit daunting to complete two in a usual GB timeframe. Particularly if they were battleships, many WW1 vintage looked considerably different in WW2.

     If you could relax the rule allowing 25% done by the GB start date to allowing, say 100% I've got two candidates - a generic 1/600 scale Airfix HMS Campbeltown model at the start and either Campbeltown herself as at St Nazaire or HMS Montgomery as at the end of her working life. Hmmm, maybe it's a bit late to use them in this GB afterall. Pity. Regards, Jeff.

. Hello Arnold, Hmmm a ship dual build would be daunting in the four month time frame. Though could you do a single build with say two sets of markings and camouflage split down the keel ? Lets say port in early markings, starboard in later markings ? This would be a way to tackle the build. You could structurally modify it if needed by adding a plate(sheet of plastic) to differentiate the two eras. If not I understand and please visit the build if it gets up and running. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting idea. However, something about it says to me that it's one of those idea that seems irresistible in discussion, but never actually happens. I hope you make it into the calendar but not because I want in, sorry.  I just want to see how many of the current enthusiasts actually produce a completed entry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to The Early/Late, Before and After build, or Beginning and End build not sure which sounds best ? Hopefully for 2023

You can count me in!  I've been planning a build of CAC Mustang A68-1 and discovered that it still exists and has raced at Reno in a totally different colour scheme.  That would make a cool pair of models.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Beggsy said:

You can count me in!  I've been planning a build of CAC Mustang A68-1 and discovered that it still exists and has raced at Reno in a totally different colour scheme.  That would make a cool pair of models.

Welcome aboard … I will add you to the list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to The Early/Late, a passage of time build. Hopefully for 2023
1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have changed the title “The early/late a passage of time build”, how does that sound ? Would you be interested sir ? 

You could try addig me again, but Enzo might disqualify us from the Bunfight on account of cheating 😛

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

You could try addig me again, but Enzo might disqualify us from the Bunfight on account of cheating 😛

 

7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

This one won't go away! No idea what I'd do. But add me to the list and by the time to comes around I might have thought of something 🤔🤷🤭

Welcome aboard Gentlemen

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...