CAMs Vickers 6-Ton VAE 546

f matthews

I am presently working on a series of several (4) of Combat Armor Models Vickers 6-Ton tanks.  These kits are some of the best-engineered and well-produced kits I’ve ever built and are definitely the best models of the Vickers 6-Ton/T-26-type tanks out there.  CAMs has released 8 or 9 different variants of this important, but often overlooked tank.  The most recent two releases are 2-in-1 kits of Finnish 6-Tons. Because each of the four versions are ones I’ve wanted to build, I picked up extras (CAMs sent me one each to review/build).  The first one is of tank VAE 546 in its original state from 1934.  The other version in the kit has an upgunned turret with a Bofors 37mm gun.  The new kits have full interiors which are excellent and finely-detailed.

Since I am depicting VAE 546 as a “new” tank, it will not be heavily weathered or abused. I have a few detail items left to add, but it is getting there. The body hasn’t been filtered yet, but the turret and lower hull have, which is why there is a slight difference in finish.

51606360482_91191cbc5e_b.jpg 51608064235_439e42ccd4_b.jpg 51607844389_b76ca7e964_b.jpg 51607844049_96057eb344_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, f matthews said:

CAMs has released 8 or 9 different variants of this important, but often overlooked tank.

Strange but true, the Vickers Type E "6-tonner" and its licensed derivatives were the most common and popular tanks in the world in the 1930's - although famously never used by the British Army.  T-26s alone were about 12,000 plus maybe another 1,000 among other customers.  The Italian M11/12/13/14 series were inspired by the Type E, although not direct copies. 

The success of the Type E is one reason why the UK did not see the need to evolve its tank production technology from (largely) bolted and riveted face-hardened armour to something more modern, like welded rolled homogenous armour.  It takes us until the Comet of 1944 to catch up.

• Like 2

Nice! Like the heat effect on that shiny new silencer. I made a Polish version (7TP) for a recent GB and enjoyed the simplicity of it all, especially the suspension.

That shot-trap corner between the front deck, glacis plate, and driver's hatch makes me cringe though, especially knowing that the fuel tank is right under it 💥💣

Edited by Ned
  • Like 1

Always had a soft spot for this. Actually a very important vehicle. FYI CAMs are a devision of Riich Models so you should have a cracking build 👍

I'll wait for the British version to come out but in the meantime I'll be keeping an eye on this one 👁️😁👌

Andrew 

• Like 1

A little display base work.  I’m building this tank from when it was undergoing trials in Finland in 1934, so I want it going over an obstacle. I carved foamcore then added texture for the ground surface and fixed styrene sheet sides.

51636539746_6aeb83ae80_b.jpg

I added some fine soil then sprayed the sides flat black and hit the soil with some black for shading.

51636539711_537d92a18c_b.jpg

The tank set into place to set the suspension:

51636756488_3335bd8785_b.jpg 51636756478_453da4a191_b.jpg

• Like 8