Airfix new tool 1/72 Avro Vulcan XM607 Black Buck 1

On 10/20/2021 at 4:09 PM, 72modeler said:

Matt,

I saw a technique I saw a while back that had very good results, but it was for a 1/48 scale kit. The builder evidently bought one of those boxes that has an assortment of small  O rings; he slipped two of the rings over the nose and tail of each bomb, which had been pre-painted OD and sprayed a thin coat of yellow between the two O rings. (He did put tape on either side of the rings to catch overspray. Looked really good, but in 1/72.... I don't know! I would end up in the Home for  Deranged Modelers if I had to do that for 21 bombs. Can't wait to see your Victor- that is one nasty-looking beast, especially in Gulf Colors and markings! (All of the RAF V-bombers are so different from one another and all are handsome designs...that being said, the Vulcan and the Boeing B-47 are the class of the field when it comes to  golden age jet bombers.)

Mike

Heat-shrink tubing also does the trick. Paint the bombs yellow, apply a ring of tubing of a suitable diameter and size to the nose of each, and shrink it to a tight fit. Then spray the bomb in an appropriate shade of green. If you're worried about seepage, spray matt varnish before the green to seal the ring. Then peel off the ring when all is dry and ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

This would work generally,  but. in actual fact, (please disregard the  stupidly pedantic thing i am about to say, it not meant to be a chriticism of this build!} I am about to say!) the bomb hazard bands  as depicted are in the wrong place.  in 1982 the bomb rigs were located  about 4" behind the nose. They were moved further back in the  mid to late 80's because  as the bomb ware increasingly used for paveway II warheads the fron fairing of the  Gudance kit covered the yellow hazard band so it was moved backward as a nodification so the band could be seen with the LGB kit fitted. , But  to paint the yellow  ring was close to the point it would be a problem using this method.

Selwyn

That will explain things, all of the pictures of the bombs I used for reference are museum pieces that would have arrived after 82!  Pictures of bombs in Vulcans are normally from far away or close up from the tail end 🤦‍♂️

Thanks for the detail, I love learning new bits and pieces that will help with future builds, thanks for taking the time out to educate 👍

Matt

Edited by Angell328
multiple post
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Ive been sitting for a good few minutes enjoying the pictures of this beautifully made Vulcan. Very very nice indeed Matt.

Pete

Many Thanks Pete, Very happy I could give you something nice to look at 😀

Matt

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Natter said:

Good to see you posting back here on BM once again Matt. Wherever you post this, it's an ace build.

Nice to be back, fair bit of travelling this year has kept me away from the modelling desk, even though on occasion I take the modelling desk with me! 🤣

Very kind of you to say, hopefully I will have a few more builds completed soon and put up on here.

Matt

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I like your attention to the small details. Well done fellow Vulcan modeller!

If a Vulcan Liney gives it the thumbs up then job done!

Very kind of you chap.

Matt