Airfix new tool 1/72 Avro Vulcan XM607 Black Buck 1

Greetings to you all,

Well I have just finished my Avro Vulcan as XM607 just prior to Black Buck 1. I was able to source the long out of production CModels Black Buck weapons set, thanks to @DougC, which really helped as it has the early non-faired pylon onto which was mounted the Dash 10 ECM pod. The old Airfix Vulcan set helped supply the other faired pylon for the port wing. The Shrike anti radar missiles were mounted to these on later Black Buck missions.

Apart from the CModels weapons set and some XtraDecal decals for XM607 she has been built out of the box. I had a few issues with the intake seams, but a few cycles of filling and sanding soon had lovely smooth intakes. Painted using Tamiya and Mr Color paints.

Onto the pictures then! I am quite happy with how she has come out and feel I have captured XM607 fairly accurately (there is always something I miss!) just before she set out on her historic mission.

Many thanks for viewing

Matt

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 68

Nice one, Matt. I recently read Vulcan boys and learnt a few things about the missions that I'd not known.

607 is currently away from her usual spot by the A15 at Waddington and is over by the AWACS hangar.

I'm told she will have the landing gear sorted to make movement easier. A repaint would be good too.

• Thanks 1

Very nice @Angell328. She looks lovely.

I was inspired by your pictures to find an excuse to go to Lincoln and pass XM607 on gate guardian duties by the A15 but thanks to the info from @Pete in Lincs she's away from her post so I will have to wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I know *exactly* what you mean, this area is really poor on a new tool kit.

You’ve done a great job on yours, she looks stunning.👍

It was a bit of a pain that is for sure, lots of Mr Surfacer 500 and some cut down sanding sponge on a stick did the trick. I think if i was to build another I would cheat and fit the intake blanks!

Thanks for the praise chap, I am enjoying watching yours come together.

Matt

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice one, Matt. I recently read Vulcan boys and learnt a few things about the missions that I'd not known.

607 is currently away from her usual spot by the A15 at Waddington and is over by the AWACS hangar.

I'm told she will have the landing gear sorted to make movement easier. A repaint would be good too.

Well now they have finished trying to keep the flying museum piece in the air, AWACS, they should have lots of talented techies about to give 607 some love!

The more I read into how things were brought together for the Black Buck raids it amazes me that not only did we pull it off once, but multiple times and without a single loss (bar the diversion to Rio!). It really was a different Air Force then to the one I am in today. I couldn't see the Black Buck missions getting the green light these days.

Matt

• Like 1

That looks great and a big improvement on the 1980s kit, welcome though that was at the time.  You might be interested to see this image that I took in August 1982, showing the original post-side nose stencilling (including, of course, the Falklands mission markings).

3632496524_c32bbedd6a_b.jpgRAF Vulcan B.2 XM607 with "Black Buck" mission symbols by Irish251, on Flickr

• Like 3

Yowzah! That Vulcan is the bee's knees! Beautiful top and bottom, and I also agree that the bomb bay is awesome! Please tell me you didn't  mask and paint all the yellow bands on the bombs! The Vulcan was a majestic and loud beast, and you and Airfix have done the grand dame justice! The work you put into the intakes was well worth it, in my opinion- they look great! (Now get busy and do a Valiant and Victor to complete the V-bomber trifecta!)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Yowzah! That Vulcan is the bee's knees! Beautiful top and bottom, and I also agree that the bomb bay is awesome! Please tell me you didn't  mask and paint all the yellow bands on the bombs! The Vulcan was a majestic and loud beast, and you and Airfix have done the grand dame justice! The work you put into the intakes was well worth it, in my opinion- they look great! (Now get busy and do a Valiant and Victor to complete the V-bomber trifecta!)

Mike

Thanks Mike!

For the bomb yellow stripe I used a strip of yellow decal, and that was a painful enough process on 21 bombs! I think masking and spraying would have sent me over the edge, hah!

Next one of the Vbombers will most likely be a Victor in Gulf war colours.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

YES!!!!!! 😍  This Vulcan is most impressive.  I really like the story behind the Black Buck missions and I will refer back to this posting as a reference when I finally get my hands on the new Airfix Vulcan.:like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Angell328 said:

I think masking and spraying would have sent me over the edge, hah!

Matt,

I saw a technique I saw a while back that had very good results, but it was for a 1/48 scale kit. The builder evidently bought one of those boxes that has an assortment of small  O rings; he slipped two of the rings over the nose and tail of each bomb, which had been pre-painted OD and sprayed a thin coat of yellow between the two O rings. (He did put tape on either side of the rings to catch overspray. Looked really good, but in 1/72.... I don't know! I would end up in the Home for  Deranged Modelers if I had to do that for 21 bombs. Can't wait to see your Victor- that is one nasty-looking beast, especially in Gulf Colors and markings! (All of the RAF V-bombers are so different from one another and all are handsome designs...that being said, the Vulcan and the Boeing B-47 are the class of the field when it comes to  golden age jet bombers.)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Matt,

I saw a technique I saw a while back that had very good results, but it was for a 1/48 scale kit. The builder evidently bought one of those boxes that has an assortment of small  O rings; he slipped two of the rings over the nose and tail of each bomb, which had been pre-painted OD and sprayed a thin coat of yellow between the two O rings. (He did put tape on either side of the rings to catch overspray. Looked really good, but in 1/72.... I don't know! I would end up in the Home for  Deranged Modelers if I had to do that for 21 bombs. Can't wait to see your Victor- that is one nasty-looking beast, especially in Gulf Colors and markings! (All of the RAF V-bombers are so different from one another and all are handsome designs...that being said, the Vulcan and the Boeing B-47 are the class of the field when it comes to  golden age jet bombers.)

Mike

Now that is a clever way of getting some lovely stripes! That is definitly going into the memory bank for future builds.

A victor with a pair of bucc's trailing mmmmmmmmm sorry I think I will need a minute here.....

Matt

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Outstanding!  I love it.  Do another, this time with the Shrikes!

Cheers chap, if only I had the room, although the Shrikes are kept safe, you know, just in case 😉

Luckily this one was built for a friend, so he now has the problem of finding enough shelf space for it!!🤣

Matt

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Matt,

Mike

Or..... just spray the noses yellow, slip on an O ring, spray the green and when the paint has dried, roll the O ring off and you have a yellow stripe on the nose....simples 🙂

Regards, Simon

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Doccur said:

Very nice indeed! Just as I thought I was sick of seeing Vulcans, this beauty pops up and proves me wrong!

Ash

Wow I am glad I could rekindle your Vulcan appreciation! 😀 Cheers!

Matt

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 3:09 PM, 72modeler said:

Matt,

Mike

This would work generally,  but. in actual fact, (please disregard the  stupidly pedantic thing i am about to say, it not meant to be a chriticism of this build!} I am about to say!) the bomb hazard bands  as depicted are in the wrong place.  in 1982 the bomb rigs were located  about 4" behind the nose. They were moved further back in the  mid to late 80's because  as the bomb ware increasingly used for paveway II warheads the fron fairing of the  Gudance kit covered the yellow hazard band so it was moved backward as a nodification so the band could be seen with the LGB kit fitted. , But  to paint the yellow  ring was close to the point it would be a problem using this method.

Selwyn

• Thanks 2