Do the RAF still use the MQ-9 Reaper?

There was some sort of drone being trialled in an area near RAF Lossiemouth recently; it was based out of Waddington apparently (though it wasn't clear whether the machine(s) were controlled from Waddington during the trial or whether operators were stationed at Lossie. 

Presumably that will have been whatever drone is replacing the Reaper - does anyone more expert on drones know?

1 minute ago, John B (Sc) said:

There was some sort of drone being trialled in an area near RAF Lossiemouth recently; it was based out of Waddington apparently (though it wasn't clear whether the machine(s) were controlled from Waddington during the trial or whether operators were stationed at Lossie. 

Presumably that will have been whatever drone is replacing the Reaper - does anyone more expert on drones know?

Yes I think that is the replacement (Protector, or Certifiable Predator B that can fly in civilian airspace), but I just wondered what the original Reapers fly from (not where the pilots are based) now they don't have a role in Afghanistan, are they somewhere else in the Middle East, or East Africa?

Colin

On 10/26/2021 at 11:32 AM, David Hadland said:

The Protector is set to replace the Reaper at RAF Lossiemouth in 2023 that is according to Airforces Monthly #404

Interesting?, all evidence and RAF comms and indeed investment indicate that the ISTAR CoE RAF Waddington will be the base? can you point me at any media that states Lossiemouth?

EDIT: I'm aware the recent trials saw it operating from Lossie, but as I say above as far as I am aware, Waddington is to be the aircrafts base.

Edited by Agent K
Added additional info.

You're right, The Protectors will be based at RAF Waddington for 13 Squadron, which will be the 2nd Protector Unit.

The RAF are acquiring 16 Protector RG1s  which will enter service from 2023, and they are set to replace the RAF's 7 Reapers.

Why on earth I said Lossie, I have no idea.

• Like 1