1/144 British Airways A380 (Utopia "Australia" Livery)

• 5 months later...

Usually "whatifs" is not close to me, but this one is impressive and really complicated work that done very neat!

Congratulations! And one little thing as always, a few criticism about stitching. It's eternal discussion between authors - to do or not to do stitching. IMHO only few stitching on the wings would give model a lot of realism. What about fuselage - I saw guys who made stitching there too, but it doesn't look well, on real civil plane fuselage stitching is invisible, in contrast to the wings.

But, once again - just my opinion about it. I learned about progress of this 380, and realised that as a modeller your skill is 10 to 1 against me))))

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2021 at 21:44, exdraken said:

Fantastic work and design!

:thumbsup:

Thank you!

On 27/11/2021 at 04:23, Wings unlevel said:

That looks magic. The colours in the tail art really complement the BA corporate colours.

Thank you. Some colours work better than others - I agree that these ones suit BA!

On 27/11/2021 at 18:58, Remus389 said:

I agree, it looks splendid. 😎👍

Thanks Remus.🙂

On 27/11/2021 at 19:01, Swamp Donkey said:

Another thumbs up, that looks fantastic, then I was always a fan of the BA World Images (well, most of them)

:thanks: 

On 28/11/2021 at 20:46, BluesModeller said:

You won’t miss that tail!

Cracking job!

Cheers - it is quite an eye catching design!

On 26/05/2022 at 20:25, tMikha said:

Usually "whatifs" is not close to me, but this one is impressive and really complicated work that done very neat!

Congratulations! And one little thing as always, a few criticism about stitching. It's eternal discussion between authors - to do or not to do stitching. IMHO only few stitching on the wings would give model a lot of realism. What about fuselage - I saw guys who made stitching there too, but it doesn't look well, on real civil plane fuselage stitching is invisible, in contrast to the wings.

But, once again - just my opinion about it. I learned about progress of this 380, and realised that as a modeller your skill is 10 to 1 against me))))

Thank you, you're very kind - but I'm not sure what you mean by 'stitching'...?

Nice work on your Neo BTW - that's coming together nicely.👍

On 27/05/2022 at 13:11, cifenet said:

This is a big bird!  I bet this one was tough to build and paint too given the size. 

Nicely built, great job! 

Thanks! The painting wasn't too bad - storage is my biggest issue...🙂

18 hours ago, Malair said:

Very well done! Love the choice of livery

Thanks Malair. 🙂 I have a few more in the pipeline!

18 hours ago, BerndM said:

Fantastic work and a lovely what iff scheme.

Cheers!

15 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Phenomenal and very unique. Brilliant job

Thanks Lewis. These liveries are a pet obsession of mine!😁 Only 5 more A380's to go, along with a multitude of 747's...!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Thank you, you're very kind - but I'm not sure what you mean by 'stitching'...?

Nice work on your Neo BTW - that's coming together nicely.👍

Thank you! Just now I'm going to airbrush second layer of white.

About "stitching" - that's my bad English 🙄.

I don't know correct word for it, and translator gave me that "stitching" 

What I meant, it's lines on the wings of liner, that situated between static and deflected surfaces (flaps, spoilers, slats)

Picture will show it easier than words 😀

y4mvMXaCWUqSxg8MPmh9cZ3CHQXuRC9PfhfUsDPi

• Like 1

Hi Matt

An absolutely brilliant build. Your 'world tail' has come out really well - I think it makes a BA A380 look even better.

I was a great fan of BA's world tails - I think they added a welcome splash of colour amongst other airliners and made BA's aircraft really stand out.

Its now good to see a few of BA's A380s back in the sky.

Looking forward to your next builds

Cheers

Tim

p.s. I've built a Revell Technic A380 as BA's G-XLEI complete with flashing lights - I wish I'd had the benefit of your WIP beforehand as it would have been very helpful and made life a lot easier

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/05/2022 at 06:55, tMikha said:

About "stitching" - that's my bad English 🙄.

I don't know correct word for it, and translator gave me that "stitching" 

What I meant, it's lines on the wings of liner, that situated between static and deflected surfaces (flaps, spoilers, slats)

@tMikha sorry for the delay in replying. I think you’re referring to a ‘wash’ to bring out the detail in the panel lines? On airliners, I tend use this technique on the wings and tailplane only, as they have plenty of separate panels and control surfaces and this enhances how they look. On the fuselage I use decals for door outlines, as every other section of the fuselage tends to be smooth. If building a large scale model with access panels in the fuselage, I would recon dirty wash here too to bring out the details. For some reason, on this model I omitted the wash! I’m not sure why and I think you’re right in saying the model would look better if I had done one - I’ll fix this at some point and make it more lifelike!

On 28/05/2022 at 10:28, Timo said:

An absolutely brilliant build. Your 'world tail' has come out really well - I think it makes a BA A380 look even better.

I was a great fan of BA's world tails - I think they added a welcome splash of colour amongst other airliners and made BA's aircraft really stand out.

Its now good to see a few of BA's A380s back in the sky.

Looking forward to your next builds

Cheers

Tim

p.s. I've built a Revell Technic A380 as BA's G-XLEI complete with flashing lights - I wish I'd had the benefit of your WIP beforehand as it would have been very helpful and made life a lot easier

Thanks Tim👍. I was pleased with how it came out and I think this livery suits the A380. Time to crack on with the others though! 😁

• Like 1

That is a beautiful model and I am insanely jealous.

Although I'm a bit young I just about remember the Utopia tails and to this day think they are some of the best tail art to grace an airliner. I've got the Revell 767-300ER Chelsea Rose kit to make at some point but I wish I had your skills with decal making as I'd love a few 747-400s with the various tails. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheEdge said:

That is a beautiful model and I am insanely jealous.

Although I'm a bit young I just about remember the Utopia tails and to this day think they are some of the best tail art to grace an airliner. I've got the Revell 767-300ER Chelsea Rose kit to make at some point but I wish I had your skills with decal making as I'd love a few 747-400s with the various tails. 

Thank you! 👍

I have a bit of an obsession (!) with these tails, with nine currently on the bench and countless more awaiting their turn! These are all at various stages of completion and there are links in my signature if you want to read more about them and see the decal designs coming together: 

grp.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I think you’re referring to a ‘wash’ to bring out the detail in the panel lines? On airliners, I tend use this technique on the wings and tailplane only, as they have plenty of separate panels and control surfaces and this enhances how they look. On the fuselage I use decals for door outlines, as every other section of the fuselage tends to be smooth. If building a large scale model with access panels in the fuselage, I would recon dirty wash here too to bring out the details. For some reason, on this model I omitted the wash! I’m not sure why and I think you’re right in saying the model would look better if I had done one - I’ll fix this at some point and make it more lifelike!

Yes, sure! It was a language problem. I fully agree with you, that this method is applicable only for wings and tail stabilisers. Really I'm not a big professional in visual effects, so often I use just a usual well-pointed pencil to imitate wash effects for flaps and other parts. 

And what about fuselage, I also think that decal doors are really enough in 1/144 scale. Generally, my first comment was about wash for flaps of the model.

Wish you a lot of modelling inspiration and awaiting your new RFI's 😉

Respects, tMikha

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I don't know how I missed this one last year but it's a great model Matt - that artwork looks superb on the fin.

As I'm dabbling with Photoshop and decals on and off at the moment could I ask what hex or RGB code you used for the coroguard - I'd like to try printing some panels and it would be useful to have a starting point for the grey to experiment from.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the kind comments. As a starting point, the hex code I used on this one was #999999 or RGB 153/153/153. Hope that helps!

Funnily enough, I have been doing some work on my second A380 (I bought six kits in a moment of madness!), so will be updating the build thread soon.

• Thanks 1