Vampire F.3 and FB.5 differences?

keithjs

As the forthcoming kit is marketed as an F.3 I notice that the new Xtradecal sheet features alot of FB.5's. Can anyone explain the differences between the two please and would it be possible to build an FB.5 from the kit?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Looking at pics of the sprues for the new kit, it looks like Airfix have catered for an FB.5, certainly the wingtips are seperate parts and both look to me like they're on the same sprue.  Whether they actually appear in the same box together is something else of course.  If not a file would do the trick!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Looking at pics of the sprues for the new kit, it looks like Airfix have catered for an FB.5, certainly the wingtips are seperate parts and both look to me like they're on the same sprue.  Whether they actually appear in the same box together is something else of course.  If not a file would do the trick!

It looks to me like the plastic in the box will cater for an F.3, FB.5 and an FB.9 as there's an extra extended stbd intake faring there as well.

You'll just have to source markings if you can't wait for Airfix to rebox it with the relevant decals.

• Like 2

As @fatalbert has already stated, the main visual differences between the F.3 and the FB.5 are the cropped wingtips as well as the ability to carry rockets and bombs on the latter.  Another thing to watch for is many FB.5's had the extended starboard intake originally developed for the FB.9.

As @71chally has stated, the parts are on the shots of the sprues, hopefully Airfix will issue the kit with these parts too.

It's a case of checking photos of your subject to see whether it had the extended intake or not.