AK F.A.Q Book on figure painting

Fletch0311

Has anyone got or used the figure painting techniques by AK in their F.A.Q book range?

If so, is it any good and would you recommend it?

I looks like quite a hefty tome with lots of advice but I'm 50/50 on whether to get it.

Thanks 👍🏼 

There's a page by page visual review on youtube.  In my opinion if new to figures it could be a great source, but if you are looking to just improve one aspect of figure painting, then you could just as easily find a specific demonstration on youtube.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jack

I've been a modeller for most of my life (on and off) and I'm 'okay' with figure modelling....I want to learn more about lots of aspects to make my models pop. Shading and forced lighting effects in particular is something I definitely want to improve.

I'll check the video out - thanks for sharing it.

😁👍🏼

Given the comparative paucity of good learning resources for figure painting, in particular books, I had high hopes for this. Now that I have quickly looked through a copy, I won't be buying it because it does not offer enough uniqueness to justify its very high price.

Among this series of books, it is certainly one of the better ones, with more than the usual level of insight. Indeed, it is one of the better figure books of recent times because it is much more than just an expensive portfolio or product placement propaganda. There is step-by-step content; some explanation of colour choices; some all-too-rare insights into "why". It is more than just the usual procedural book.

However, it is held back by the contemporary modelling book philosophy; it seems to be predicated on a belief that model makers have low reading comprehension, so have to be drip-fed by single paragraphs and captions in among lots of photos. I don't know about you, but I learn from in-depth explanations rather than trying to interpret pictures. There is also the apparently obligatory space given to the fundamentals; things which likely buyers of this book already know, while anyone else can find the same advice for nothing.

Like the other titles, it would have benefitted from the eagle-eyed attention of a sub-editor. I put more care into a single line of web copy than AK puts into editing its entire written output. If the publisher didn't care, why should it have so much of my money? I may have felt a little more charitable towards AK if it was half the price and available in Apple Books on desktops rather than a mobile app.

• Thanks 1

I have a few AK painting books and although they are nice and inspiring to look at I don’t find them too helpful.  Much of it is made up of pictures end results done by experts with very little in the way of step by step guidance on how to arrive at that end result.

In general, I found myself inspired by what can be done but barely any the wiser about how to get there.

They do vary though.  For example, I have two to hand at the moment, #6 Flesh and Skin and #3 Tracks and Wheels from the AK Learning Series.  The Track and Wheels is actually quite good as it has plenty of step by step guides though there is an awful lot of AK product placement, but the Flesh and Skin is mostly gallery pictures and many of those are on large scale bust figures so not that much use to me.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, it is a hefty price but I'd be willing to pay it if the book offered step by step techniques on how to arrive at an end result, which from what you all say is that it doesn't quite do that. Maybe a used one will pop up on ebay at some point, fingers 🤞🏼 

Thanks everyone 😁

• Thanks 1