HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

• 2 weeks later...

You have already realized that the second one is not Brave Swordsman. :)

I made a blank for the practice of pasting fiberglass with epoxy resin. I'll try it on a piece of wood first, so as not to spoil the ship.

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I conducted an experiment with pasting fiberglass with epoxy. The result is negative. Apparently, the fabric is too thick, poorly repeats the bends of the part. Steve was right.

I began to think. what to do.

I looked at my wife...

And then I had an idea! Instead of fiberglass, use women's stockings! They are made of thin nylon that will perfectly fit on the irregularities. Since I only need a thin coating, the stockings will be enough. They will perform the tasks of reinforcing epoxy resin.

Next week I will set up a new experiment.

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Glued epoxy resin on stockings. The result is good.

spacer.png

A little fun - Brave Borderer in women's stockings.

spacer.png

There is a small problem - the stocking does not fit to the body in the place of the reverse bend. I'm thinking how to solve this problem. Probably I will first glue this bend with pressing through a plastic film. And then I will cover the rest of hull with resin.

spacer.png

P.S.   The stockings turned out to be short and I had to go to a lingerie store to buy tights. I experienced very strange feelings when I asked women in the store to tell me how to choose the largest size... 

• Haha 8

Gidday Dmitriy, and I bet she didn't believe you when you said it was for a boat hull. 😀 I've bought them also, to dunk stabilizer and chlorine in a swimming pool. And no jokes please about did I need a suspender belt for them. 😁

But seriously, would the nylon conform to the boat's lower bow curves if it were cut into strips? The nylon, not the boat. 🙂 Then run the strips along the hull. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

But seriously, would the nylon conform to the boat's lower bow curves if it were cut into strips? The nylon, not the boat. 🙂 Then run the strips along the hull. Interested in seeing how this turns out.

I've been thinking about it. But nylon, unlike fiberglass, will not lie flat. It stretches and contracts and twists very much. It will not work without pre-tension. In addition, there may be irregularities at the joints of different strips. The epoxy layer will be very thin.

Good luck with it, but I still think silk will be a better option as it has  no pre-tension so will lie flat across the concave curvature of the bow.  Also its very fine weave will require less finishing.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Good luck with it, but I still think silk will be a better option as it has  no pre-tension so will lie flat across the concave curvature of the bow.  Also its very fine weave will require less finishing.  

Steve, I believe you that silk is better. But I do not know where to get it. Where do you get silk for such works?

2 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Where do you get silk for such works

You could try a silk pillow case, that should provide enough material for the job.  Hopefully such a thing is available in Russia

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Faraway said:

Is the idea of the covering to create a very smooth surface ?

Could you it use tissue paper stuck down with a varnish ?

Jon

John, the idea is to protect the wooden hull from water and possible impacts on obstacles, rocks, shore. The model will move through the water under radio control.

6 hours ago, Steve D said:

You could try a silk pillow case, that should provide enough material for the job.  Hopefully such a thing is available in Russia

Thanks, Steve, I'll think about it.

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 2

I decided to use stockings. It would be a shame if my trials in the women's store would have been wasted. :)

Covered the body. It looks erotic in tights.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I do not cover the entire body with resin, but only in places of negative bending. I want to glue nylon exactly in the concave place.

Smeared with resin, covered with plastic wrap and pressed with a flexible soft tube with a substrate.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I work with epoxy resin for the first time in my life. It could have been worse.

I am more or less satisfied with the result. The irregularities will then be polished.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I will cover the whole body with epoxy.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

That should be fine, plenty of wet&dry sanding coming, will look like glass at the end :yikes:

Polish it. Paint it perfectly...

And then stain it with rust and algae!

😂

• Haha 1