HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

1 hour ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

How do you glue such small details?

Merry Christmas and Seasons best wishes.

My technique for small details is to use Tamiya cement with the white cap; place a small puddle of the cement on something handy and then using tweezers just dip the edge of small part in the puddle and then apply the part to the model. I do the same thing with CA as well. It does require a delicate touch so that you just touch the edge of the part to the cement so that you don't have too much or too little.

cheers, Graham

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I have problems with gluing small plastic parts. ... Maybe there is some special way?

Hi Dmitriy,

I've been using Tamiya Extra Thin Cement for small plastic parts.   Here's the description from the Tamiya site;

"Tamiya EXTRA THIN model cement is used to glue together plastic model kits that use polystyrene plastic. No crevice is too small for this flowing adhesive, which was developed to flow into and stick the small spaces between two plastic parts which have been pre-fitted to one another. Furthermore, the extra thin formula allows the modeler to glue together small pieces that require pin point accuracy and finesse."

You have to be careful using this cement as it has the consistency of water & can make a mess if not used sparingly.

John

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

I do the same thing with CA as well.

Ditto, I do the same thing as Graham. 

My glue control has been poor and still needs improvement.  My soldering is better though not particularly useful on plastic :rofl:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

How do you glue such small details? Maybe there is some special way?

Gidday Dmitriy, I often get too much glue into a part but I find if I dab the join of the parts with a bit of old newspaper it often soaks up the excess glue. To get a small amount of glue onto a part in the first place I often place a drop pf glue onto old newspaper and then dip the part requiring glue into the glue drop. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who can give a modeler the best gift? Of course the modeler! That's why I spent a whole year making the hull of the Brave Borderer ship and gave it to myself for the New Year! I really liked the gift. I thanked myself. Now I will be able to make a deck, superstructures, weapons on this hull.

Happy New Year!

Dmitriy

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

52 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Dimity, That wrapping is better than any I could manage over the festive period.  :drink:

Stay Safe and best Wishes for 2023.

beefy

This year I had a good workout - I packed a lot of gifts of complex shape. The most difficult was a 2.5 meter long fishing spinning with reel, which I gave to a friend. 

And I wish you all the best in the new year!

Dmitriy

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 4

I'm going to make holes on the side of the housing for the cooling water outlet. I saw in the photo such a hole only on the left side. I don't know if there was a second hole on the starboard side.

Does anyone know that?

Probably, first of all, this is a question for the BB expert @JohnWS  .

spacer.png

This is a photo from @JohnWS build.

Edited by Dmitriy1967

Hi Dmitriy,

When I was researching brave Borderer I couldn't find a photo showing the outlet on the starboard side.  That's not to say there isn't one, but it just doesn't show up in the photos.

John

• Thanks 1

If there is no exact information on the number of water outlets, then I will try to reason logically.

Brave Borderer has three Bristol Proteus turbines. If they were cooled with water from one common circuit, then there may be one water outlet. If each turbine has its own circuit, then there should be three water outlets, or one. The turbines were developed based on engines used in Britannia aircraft. In airplanes, they were cooled by air, but I think in the confined space of the ship, it is better to cool them with water.

In addition to the three main turbines, Brave Borderer was equipped with two small auxiliary Rover gas turbine turbine generators, which probably also required water cooling, which also needed water output to the outside.

I don't understand anything about ship engines. I will listen with interest to the opinion of experienced shipbuilders. What are the assumptions on the number of cooling water outlets?

Edited by Dmitriy1967

Water inlets and water outlets are a nightmare in general.  More, they are very often omitted altogether.  For steam turbines, the water inlets are massive and below the waterline with grills protecting the pumps.  Very few models include them, I've never understood why, its on my list the flat flags...

Unfortunately, due to a ceiling problem the builders are sorting in my study, my reference library of naval books is unusable right now :book:

DSCN2871

so I can't access any relevant material and I'm no expert on gas turbines but what I do know is that there are many reasons to provide an opening in a hull. 

These can include:

• Engine cooling (intake and outlet), clearly the largest
  • Secondary and ancillary engine/equipment cooling
  • Firefighting intakes
  • Bilge pump exhausts
  • Flushing lines
  • Overflow ports (fuel, potable water etc)
  • Heads overboard (toilets)
  • Galley drains
  • Deck drains

to name a few.  Some of these services will be manifolded to reduce the number of holes needed, some may feed tanks that are emptied in port etc, it all depends on the secondary services design.  However, in general, such services would design for redundancy so single openings that if they are blocked or damaged would endanger the vessel are unlikely imho

It is an area that is probably least understood unless you have actual shipyard drawings, specifically the services mechanical and piping layout sheets.  The only solution (unless you have these or dry-dock pictures) is to be logical in the placement of holes and rely on the fact that no model is perfect, they are there to give an impression of the vessel...

Later next week when my ceiling is fixed, I'll take a spin through my reference material and see if I can find something of more use,  I have a number of naval mechanical handbooks but they are mostly pre-war, still you never know

Good luck in the search

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Dmitriy,

Here's a link to a starboard side photo of Brave Borderer - https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ajax-news-feature-service-9th-cotober-1959-portsmouth-england-fast-136334842.html?imageid=E80C8C7E-E78C-4A12-96C4-2FB958F46AF5&p=247039&pn=1&searchId=2f198f46cd6a7729d6e09081ad198c06&searchtype=0

Again nothing conclusive, but if you enlarge the photo & look at the waterline directly below the generator exhaust pipes there appears to be a circular shape on the hull.

John

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steve D said:

Unfortunately, due to a ceiling problem the builders are sorting in my study, my reference library of naval books is unusable right now :book:

Steve, you have a great library!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Here's a link to a starboard side photo of Brave Borderer - https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-ajax-news-feature-service-9th-cotober-1959-portsmouth-england-fast-136334842.html?imageid=E80C8C7E-E78C-4A12-96C4-2FB958F46AF5&p=247039&pn=1&searchId=2f198f46cd6a7729d6e09081ad198c06&searchtype=0

Again nothing conclusive, but if you enlarge the photo & look at the waterline directly below the generator exhaust pipes there appears to be a circular shape on the hull.

John

Unfortunately, this link does not open for me. Now access to many sites from Russia is blocked. But I'm guessing it's one of those photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also examined them with a microscope (which I no longer have) and it also seemed to me that this was a water outlet. Moreover, this point is located in the same place where the water outlet is on the other side. But it can also be just a spot on the photo.

This is the kind of situation that I don't like so much - to do something that may turn out to be wrong later.

Dmitriy

In any case, I will make two water intake holes on the bottom of the hull. This boot is of the planing type, then I will place the water intake in the bottom, 1/3 of the length from the stern. This place is wetted with water at any speed. It makes no sense to have them on board and in the nose, because there is no water there at full speed.

Nice job on designing the modules for the MTB and putting everything together. I could never do this. Never mind your English. I never judge. It´s my second language. My missus pulls me up on my English like it´s no ones business. Gone down hill over the past 15 years. Makes me believe that English could be my third or even fourth language now. Keep up the good work. 🍷

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Nice job on designing the modules for the MTB and putting everything together. I could never do this. Never mind your English. I never judge. It´s my second language. My missus pulls me up on my English like it´s no ones business. Gone down hill over the past 15 years. Makes me believe that English could be my third or even fourth language now. Keep up the good work. 🍷

Alas, I do not have enough English, especially when traveling. It's good that my wife speaks it fluently.  I studied German at school and university. But I never used it, so I forgot. I regret that I did not study English at school, now it would be easier to restore my knowledge. I can't force myself to study a foreign language now, having a wife and a Google translator encourage my laziness. :)

• Like 3

Ceiling fixed and library back in commission.  However, sorry, no luck on engineering layouts but I did stumble on these pictures which you may not have seen.  They are from a warship pictorial of ML2840 and Brave Borderer in Warship Volume IV from 1980

Not wonderful, but all pictures help in my experience

bb2

bb1

And this is ML 2840's bridge

bb3

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1