HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

I'll move away from the shipbuilding topic a little.

In between working on BB, I sometimes do different crafts. This is provoked by my wife, who is also fond of it. She finds various pieces of wood in the forest or on the shore and makes unusual things out of them.

spacer.png

Then it hangs on our walls, or all sorts of Christmas trees and figurines are made of them.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It would never have occurred to me to paint the sticks found on the street like that. And I wouldn't be able to draw such a picture either.

spacer.png

Besides, my wife draws well. Well, I think so.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

We have a lot of funny things hanging on the walls related to our hobbies.

spacer.png

But then my wife asked me to do something else....

And I decided to make a paddle!

• Like 9

And so. It is necessary to make a paddle. I haven't done this before. But I like to do something new for myself. It's like a challenge, whether I can handle it or not.

I took three boards of pink cedar. We call it Canadian.

spacer.png

He pretended that I also know how to draw.

spacer.png

Glued together from two halves of the shaft.

spacer.png

It's probably not worth commenting further, everything is clear from the photos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Impregnation with OSMO oil. And grinding.

spacer.png

I don't know how to paint oil paintings on canvas with brushes. On aerosols on a stencil, I think I can handle it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All tests have been successfully passed. I'm sure of the paddle.

I did it!

spacer.png

Now it can be hung on the wall.

At least until my wife asks me to make a canoe...

• Like 10

Gidday Dmitriy, that's beautiful workmanship. Great painting but almost a shame to cover that lovely wood grain.

13 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

At least until my wife asks me to make a canoe...

LOL 🤣🤣🤣   Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 17:35, Steve D said:

OK Dmitriy, you've had your fun, now get back to the boat.  That brass will not solder itself....:whip:

I soldered the brass! Just don't punish me!

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone

Sorry I haven't posted anything for a long time. It was a wonderful summer - a lot of trips, fishing, searching for mushrooms, building a workshop and a new house... Perhaps enough enumerations, you have already realized that I am a great master at coming up with excuses for my idleness and laziness. Autumn has come with cold weather, rains, traditional autumn winds and floods. It's time to continue working with Brave Borderer in a warm house.

Glued a plate through which the propeller shafts will pass. Of course, it was just necessary not to cut out the frame earlier. But, for this, it was necessary to be smart.

spacer.png

Checked how the engines will be installed.

spacer.png

I'm sorry, Steve, but I'm going to break your rule - everything that's metal on the ship must be metal on the model.

O great god of plastic Evergreen! What a pleasure I experienced cutting and processing these tubes! They are conveniently cut and polished. It's not like wood and metal!  Working with plastic is like an easy game. :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

To be honest, the propellers, shafts, and the number of shaft holders I have do not correspond to the prototype. My model will have to move on water and I had to change the proportions.

Let's turn over this unpleasant page.

Preliminary fitting. This is how it will look.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

I am an inexperienced person in shipbuilding, tell me whether it is necessary to paint these shafts or leave pure metal? I 've seen both painted and unpainted ones . How is it correct and what does it depend on?

spacer.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I'm sorry, Steve, but I'm going to break your rule

Rules were made to be broken, I'm not such a purist actually, much more a pragmatist with a personal dislike of plastic sheet which never looks nice when used by me.....:banghead: That said, there is a pleasure in using metal, weirdly, because it ends up imperfect and that imperfection perfectly reflects real life (try that one, Google translate!*!%.)

My model will have to move on water and I had to change the proportions

Working models are not true scale models, this is understood.. The Darby hydroplane I built, (my last working boat and true scale) went great in a straight line, so could only be used on canals, enough said :rofl:

tell me whether it is necessary to paint these shafts

Prop shafts are always painted to prevent corrosion, model shafts left unpainted are just model shafts

Looking nice Dmitriy, I was wondering where this had got to, keep it going, I want to see it on the water

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve D said:

(try that one, Google translate!*!%.)

Prop shafts are always painted to prevent corrosion, model shafts left unpainted are just model shafts

Google coped with the translation. :)

Thank you. I assumed this, but it's always better to check with experienced people.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly a year ago, I launched this ship into the water for the first time. A year has passed and I'm on the water again. The main thing is that this does not become an annual tradition.

And so, I marked the waterline, loaded the ballast, and checked the thrust of the engines. As expected, I will put other, more powerful engines.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Glued spray rails.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for now. I'm going to feed the cats.

:)

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Is that a can of beer I see as ballast :beer:

Unfortunately, there was too much trim from the whiskey.

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Good progress....

You and the wife are both talented artist

Kev

Thanks Kev!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I started making a stern shelf. The general view is clear. Small internal details are unclear. The most important question is how the water poured out of it, which got inside the shelf from waves, splashes and rain. A row of rivets or bolts is visible from the bottom side of the shelf. I assume these are holes for draining water from the shelf. But I'm not sure about that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is a model of a modeler from New Zealand. He worked out the details very well and it is clearly visible here that there are recesses in the shelf from which water needs to be drained out.

spacer.png

• Like 5

For a long time I thought about what material to make a stern shelf from. There are small details and it is difficult to make from wood. The most correct thing is to solder from metal, but I will not be able to solder such a complex structure. Therefore, I decided to make it out of plastic. There will be no mechanical load on the aft shelf, so plastic is suitable.

Cut up the details.

spacer.png

When gluing, I control the angle of 90 degrees.

spacer.png

The skeleton of the shelf began to appear.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

As I wrote here earlier, I decided to make drain holes in the transom shelf. No such holes are visible on any Brave Borderer model that I could find on the Internet, rivets or bolts are made there instead of holes. But, relying on the few photographs and drawings that I have, I could not find a single contradiction to my idea. But where the water drained from the shelf, if there are no holes, I do not understand. So I made holes! The holes match well with the small squares in the drawing. I think this is a very plausible version of the transom shelf. Maybe I'm wrong and don't know something. If someone has arguments for or against, please share, it will be very useful.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6