HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

• 2 weeks later...

To date, I have completed one of the stages that I was worried about. The hull plating is completed. I am not very happy with the result – there are gaps in some places. But I reassure myself that I did it for the first time. In addition, experienced people say that filler will solve this problem.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have putty and sanding ahead of me.

But it will be later. And now I'm going skiing in the mountains for a week!

:)

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Steve D said:

First class job :thumbsup:

Enjoy the skiing ⛷️

Cheers

Steve

Yes, after such work, it is necessary to treat nerves in the mountains. :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, steve5 said:

looks pretty good to me dmitriy , lucky man to be able to go skiing , as I have said , I've never seen snow . 😭

Thank you for your kind words!

I will definitely make photos of snow in the Caucasus mountains for you. :)

• Like 2

Gidday Dmitriy, why not take an Esky with you and bring back a couple of handfuls of snow for Steve? 😁

That boat's hull is looking better and better. The planking you've done highlights the curves under the bow. She's going to be a thoroughbred I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Dmitriy, why not take an Esky with you and bring back a couple of handfuls of snow for Steve? 😁

That boat's hull is looking better and better. The planking you've done highlights the curves under the bow. She's going to be a thoroughbred I think. Regards, Jeff.

Thank you Jeff, I hope I will bring this boat to port sooner or later. :)

Unfortunately, Google didn't help me understand what an Esky is. I do not know this word. 🙄

11 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, an Esky (probably an Australian name) is basically an insulated box for carrying cold food and drinks, from the shop, to a picnic etc. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks, I see. I assumed something like this.

In Russia, all such thermal insulation boxes and small cylinders are called thermos flasks. By the name of the Thermos company, which was once the first to come to our market with such products.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I, like most Russians, am very ashamed in front of the whole world and especially Ukrainians for what the government of my country is doing now.

Please do not comment on my message, as such topics are prohibited on this site.

I apologize to the owners of the site, but I had to say it.

I promise never to talk about it again. If you find it necessary, delete this post.

I apologize again.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

And so, I came back from the mountains. As promised, I post a photo with snow. I really like to go to the mountains, it's amazing there!

spacer.png

I plan to start puttingty and polishing the hull this week.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I, like most Russians, am very ashamed in front of the whole world and especially Ukrainians for what the government of my country is doing now.

You didn't need to tell us, but we appreciate that you have. :) You're right to warn everyone off about discussing the politics too :yes:

That snow looks lovely, and I'm jealous.  I used to be a snowboarder until my health took a dive, and I miss the mountains :wub:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Putty, sanded, then covered with a gray primer to show defects. They showed up. :)

There is still a bit of fine-tuning to be done.

Then I will proceed to pasting fiberglass with epoxy resin.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

However, I would not cover that hull with fibreglass unless you mean the sort of cloth used for model aircraft.  This is the surface you will see, so it has to be fine...

If you can get it, perhaps use something like  Silkspan.  It's much finer, or Japanese tissue.  Remember, its only a matrix to hold the epoxy so the finer the better.  Certainly whatever you do, experiment first, I've ruined a hull this way in the past

Cheers

Steve

• Thanks 1

Yes, I chose a very thin twill weave fabric that takes complex shapes well. I'll cover it with just one layer of fabric. Then there will also be a lot of putty and sanding.

I've never done this before. I'm a little worried. But I love trying to do something I've never done before.

• Like 2