HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

Thank you for your kind words, colleagues.
I noticed that britmodeller.com encourages me not to quit what I started. Thank you!

There is a small problem with the plating plates. It's winter now, the air in the house is very dry. The wood of the plates has dried up. When bending, it cracks a little. I will wet it with spray water before gluing.

Edited by Dmitriy1967

Glued the second half.

spacer.png

I probably need to post less of the same type of photos. For me, every little thing is progress, but for you, looking at an unfinished building for the third month is probably boring. :)

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Glued the second half.

spacer.png

I probably need to post less of the same type of photos. For me, every little thing is progress, but for you, looking at an unfinished building for the third month is probably boring. :)

Not boring at all, I am enjoying watching your excellent build take shape.

Jon

8 hours ago, Faraway said:

Not boring at all, I am enjoying watching your excellent build take shape.

Jon

Thank you, John!

I try to do well, but it will turn out badly by itself. :)

• Like 1

I can't find detailed drawings of these structures that hold torpedoes. If someone has drawings, dimensions, the principle of their operation, I would be very grateful to you. Interested in any photos, videos or descriptions. I want to understand how the torpedo was dropped, which parts were movable and what was set in motion.

spacer.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

... Interested in any photos, videos or descriptions. ...

Hi Dmitriy,

Like you, I couldn't find much info about Brave Borderer's torpedo side launchers.  However, i was lucky to have Tamiya's Perkasa kit for reference & parts.  The Tamiya kit parts appear to be very close to a actual launchers, when compared to the few photos I was able to find.

Here's a photo consolidating the info I used for my build.  It includes an excerpt from the Perkasa assembly instructions showing an exploded view of the kit launcher parts, & 2 close ups showing the launchers on my BB build.

51848457076_3361b047cd_c.jpg

My understanding (I could be corrected) is that a mechanism operated the bottom arms of the cradle holding the torpedos.  The cradle bottom arms inboard were stationary while the outboard portion of the arms were hinged.  The mechanism would lower (rotate) the outboard hinged portion of the cradle arms, allowing the torpedo to roll off over the side of the boat.

Hope this helps.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi John,

To date, these are the best images I've seen. Thank you John!

Interestingly, these straps that hold the torpedo were unfastened automatically, or the crew had to unfasten them manually. I'll try to look for such installations from other torpedo boats. It cannot be that they are unique only to the Brave class.

Dmitriy

1 hour ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

... Interestingly, these straps that hold the torpedo were unfastened automatically, or the crew had to unfasten them manually. ...

Dmitriy,

I really don't know.  It would be nice if they were unfastened automatically, but I have a feeling they were released manually.  :shrug:

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, steve5 said:

lovely work Dmitriy ,way above my pay grade , what you are attempting . 

I clicked the follow topic button , I don't find this boring at all .

So I will continue this show as I learn to make models out of wood. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

These might help. 

Thank you, John. There are a lot of interesting things on these links. I have seen such launchers. Their operating principle is similar to those of the Brave class, but they are slightly different.

By the way, in this photo on your link, the straps holding the torpedo are clearly visible.

spacer.png

• Like 2

@Dmitriy1967 it was interesting to read why these ‘launchers’ were developed, I can understand the weight saving. But was surprised about the flash from the explosive that was used, for some reason I always thought the torpedo was launched by compressed air.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, steve5 said:

it's sad but I have never seen snow , look's nice .

I am ready to send you a container of snow via DHL.

I'm a little tired of removing 2 times a week more than a ton of snow from my land.

:)

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Looks COLD! I was over thirty when I saw snow, atop Mt Wellington, Tasmania. Only time I've seen it. But yeah Dmitriy, that's a peaceful tranquil scene. Regards, Jeff.

At the end of February I'm going to go too to look at the snow in the mountains. I will be skiing in Sochi.

• Like 2

I am ready to send you a container of snow via DHL.

I'm a little tired of removing 2 times a week more than a ton of snow from my land.

lol , don't think it would make it mate , it's about 38 c , here at the moment . 

• Like 1

I had a tragedy.

I filled the bottom from the inside with waterproof glue. This should strengthen the thin material and protect the wood from possible water ingress.

spacer.png

But apparently there was too much liquid glue, the wooden plates swelled and bent strongly. Humps up to 5 mm appeared on the bottom . It is impossible to polish them. If it were water, then, having dried up, the tree would return to its former size. But it was glue, which, having impregnated the wood, should harden. My work for a whole month went under the dog's tail. To say that I was upset is to say nothing. Out of grief, I drank vodka and went to bed.

A miracle happened in the morning! The bottom of the boat was smooth and solid again!

This old Russian recipe - if something goes wrong, you need to drink vodka, it always works!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

My feelings go to you, I had a similar tragedy with my first scratch build when the varnish reacted with the beautifully completed hull paint job blistering it, a lot of sanding, it was nearly 5 feet long........:raincloud:

Can I suggest that you use a pouring epoxy resin, painted on, 2 coats will do.  This will fully seal the hull on the inside and not impact the wood apart from strengthening it

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steve D said:

My feelings go to you, I had a similar tragedy with my first scratch build when the varnish reacted with the beautifully completed hull paint job blistering it, a lot of sanding, it was nearly 5 feet long........:raincloud:

Can I suggest that you use a pouring epoxy resin, painted on, 2 coats will do.  This will fully seal the hull on the inside and not impact the wood apart from strengthening it

Cheers

Steve

I wouldn't want to experience the feelings that you had with that ship...

Steve, I have plans to cover the hull from the outside with two-component epoxy resin. Now I'm thinking, isn't the thin skin deformed when soaked with wet epoxy resin?