HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

27 minutes ago, Alpha Juliet said:

It looks a good candidate for an RC model, Dmitriy!

I'm thinking about it. One small problem – I don't understand anything about electricity and radio. I hope I'll find some hints on the Internet. Now it has become very convenient to learn how to do it right. 🙂

• Like 1

To understand if I still need to lighten the frame of the hull, I need to find out the load capacity of the model at this scale.

Since the displacement of the model is calculated by the formula.

spacer.png

The displacement of the Brave Border is 90 tons. So a 1/35 scale model should squeeze out 2099 grams (4.627 lb) of water.

In theory, if the weight of the finished frame is taken away from this weight, then I will know how much the hull lining, structure, armament and other mechanisms can weigh.

But this is in theory. I want to know the real displacement of the model.

But I can't glue the frame together if I have to saw off the excess.

• Like 2

The Admiralty is rushing me.

I went to the workshop and assembled the case without glue and pasted it with paper adhesive tape.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then I stuck a waterproof adhesive tape on top.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I drew the waterline to control the draft.

spacer.png

On closer inspection, the tape turned out to be in rivets! 😁

spacer.png

• Like 4

It's already dark outside today and it's too late to conduct tests.
I hope there will be no strong wind and rain tomorrow.
The shipyard and the Admiralty are waiting for the first launch of the ship.

• Like 2

Since the sponsor of this construction is the Italian company FERRERO, I have to use their candy containers to load the ballast.

I brought the white stones myself from the north of Russia, where I went fishing this summer.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The first good news is that the ship did not sink!

The second good news is that the load capacity exceeded the estimated expectations.

The weight of the frame already made is 710 grams (1.56 lb).

The weight of the temporary lining of the tape is 121 grams (0.27 lb).

The weight of the test load is 2545 grams (5.61 lb).

The maximum total weight of the finished model can be - 3376 grams (7.44 lb).

That is, I have to make the skin, superstructures and equipment no heavier than 2666 grams (5.87 lb).

In my opinion, this is a good stock.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 4

There was a small incident during the tests. The commander of the ship was not satisfied with the result. He demanded to load a real combat load and re-launch the ship. I fulfilled his wish. The commander signed the documents on the positive result of the tests.

spacer.png

• Haha 12

While I am waiting for some materials and equipment without which I cannot continue the assembly, I have a few questions. Maybe someone will help me by answering them.

1. Ships often have cooling water poured out of holes in the sides. Did Brave Borderer have such a hole? In my model, it wouldn't hurt.

2. What angular velocity of rotation did the Bofors guns have?

3. At what angular velocity did the antenna rotate above the superstructure?

4. What was the name of the real commander of HMS Brave Borderer?

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 1

I found the answer to my first question in the topic @JohnWS
This is a picture of his work on Brave Borderer.
Thank you John!!!

spacer.png

I do not know exactly the rules of this site. Is it possible to add pictures from other people's themes here?

John, do you allow this?

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Is it possible to add pictures from other people's topics here?

I think it is no problem if you have shown the real author, as you have, @JohnWS, can comment further perhaps. I like this thread, you do excellent work & I like your sense of humour, I have a lot of laughs along the way, you & Mr Google appear to get along well. I'll be watching from now on. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

... 4. What was the name of the real commander of HMS Brave Borderer? ...

Hi Dmitriy,

The only name I've found is Lieutenant Commander John Reginald Mervyn Vaughan-Lewis, RN who was the first Commanding Officer of HMS Brave Borderer, while he was Senior Officer, Coastal Forces Trials and Special Service Squadron.

John

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

2. What angular velocity of rotation did the Bofors guns have?

Gidday Dmitriy, one mounting is quoted as traversing at 50 degrees per second. Not sure which mounting though. HTH. And I like your combat cargo, it's something worth fighting for. Such a cargo might have an adverse effect on a quartermaster's steering or a gun crew's accuracy though. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JohnWS said:

The only name I've found is Lieutenant Commander John Reginald Mervyn Vaughan-Lewis, RN who was the first Commanding Officer of HMS Brave Borderer, while he was Senior Officer, Coastal Forces Trials and Special Service Squadron.

5 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Here's a link to the radar antenna spec's - http://navalhistory.flixco.info/H/148417x119821/8330/a0.htm

John, thank you for the invaluable information! I definitely wouldn't have found it myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

And I like your combat cargo, it's something worth fighting for. Such a cargo might have an adverse effect on a quartermaster's steering or a gun crew's accuracy though.

We will put the maintenance of discipline on the ship in the hands of the commander. I think he is a seasoned mariner and will not lose the honor of Her Majesty's fleet.

• Like 2

Dimitry

Ничего себе, только что познакомился с этой сборкой, отличное начало, я люблю деревянные корпуса, как все знают. Для вашего первого проекта это действительно отличная работа, молодец

Hopefully Google didn't insert any rude words...

Switching to English

Great job, if I can help in any way, please just shout or PM me, I'll be following along 

As I'm explaining on the Vosper thread, diagonal planking is sooo much easier for hard chine hulls. 

At 1/35th, perhaps a double diagonal will give the best results.  For the Saunders-Roe launch I used 1/16th balsa strips in two layers, https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064525-saunders-roe-seaplane-tender which gives a lot of "meat" to sand into and so help refine the lines without adding too much weight.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve D said:

Hopefully Google didn't insert any rude words...

Your Russian is wonderful! Google has not let you down!

-  Spasibo! Na zdorovie! 🍻

I'm following your Vosper theme. It's very interesting to me.

I plan to make a covering in one layer and then (maybe) cover it with a cloth with epoxy resin. Since the Brave hull is smooth and the model will be in the water, it seems to me this is a reasonable solution.

To simplify the work, I even plan to sheathe the flat part of the hull with one sheet, and use strips only in the curved bow.

I want to use a 1.5mm thick linden, this will give a large margin for grinding.

I don't know which glue is better to use yet. I need a waterproof one.

Usually, I use Titebond III for working with wood. But it dries for a long time and if there are a lot of strips, then it will take a very long time to wait. I'm going to live forever and so far everything is going fine, but waiting can annoy me.

• Like 3