HMS Brave Borderer 1/35

Hello!

My name is Dmitry, I am 54 years old, I live in Russia.

I apologize immediately for my English. I don't know him very well. You could say I don't know at all. I've never studied it. The computer will help me translate.

Do not hesitate to correct me if I write incorrectly or incomprehensibly. It will be useful to me.

As a child, I made many plastic models in 1/72 and 1/100 scale. It was mostly planes, I didn't like ships.

Now, I have free time, I want to assemble something with my own hands again. Some kind of ship. There are a lot of ships, but, I don't know why, I chose HMS Brave Borderer.

Starting to study the ship, I was surprised how little information there is about it. I found Polish drawings. They are not very accurate, but there is no other.

I found the Britmodeller website and the JohnWS build:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056797-172-hms-brave-borderer/

I watched John's work with pleasure. Much has become clear. He found a lot of new things and worked so deeply on detailing. This is excellent!

I express my great gratitude to him.

I understand that I am a beginner and will not be able to assemble a ship, as experienced craftsmen do, but I will start doing it. After all, the main thing is to enjoy creating something with your own hands.

I will post the assembly process on this site, I hope they will tell me better about the English ship here.

I'm doing everything slowly, so the build will be long.

I hope I will finish the job. I hope…

🙂

spacer.png

• Like 12

When I was at school we had the option of studying French, German or Russian, I chose Russian and I can tell you your English is much better than my Russian, 

This looks like a very interesting project, I shall follow along, 

Sam

• Like 2

I couldn't resist sending this photo to my friends at the fishing club. I informed him that I was building a boat. Everyone was interested in how many people it would accommodate and whether there would be a ship's toilet?

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

Gidday Dmitriy, this looks an interesting project. And don't worry about your English, it's a lot better than my Russian, which is non-existent. Actually, my English isn't too good either, me being Australian. 😁

53 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I understand that I am a beginner and will not be able to assemble a ship, as experienced craftsmen do, but I will start doing it. After all, the main thing is to enjoy creating something with your own hands.

All of us were beginners at some point, and as you said, the main thing is to enjoy, regardless of the type of modelling you do.

Neither will any of us laugh at you, although friendly banter and jokes are acceptable.

But I have a question for you - Why would your boat need a toilet, when you have a whole ocean to use if the need arises? 😁 Just joking.

Good luck with this. I'm impressed with what you've done already. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Your project is looking very good Dmitriy.  Keep up the excellent work. 
I think the ship your building is a beautiful choice.  
My wife has visited Russia and took a class learning the language. It was quite a while ago. I wish I had taken the language class with her.  

I am looking forward to your progress.  

Brian

Edited by Goji308
  • Like 1

As I said, I use Polish drawings.

It seems to me that the one who drew did not have access to the original drawings and photographs that are now available to us on the Internet. Some correspond to the real Brave Borderer, some do not.

When I started making the hull, I immediately saw that the transom was drawn rectangular. On ships of the Brave class, the sides have a slope.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I had to collect all the old photos and take a certain average angle of inclination of the side.

Starting from the transom, I approximated the angle to the middle.

Since no one can refute the correctness of the angle, I will consider it the truth! 😉

spacer.png

• Like 9

With some excitement I think about the hull plating… I've never done it, but I have to do it. After all, a ship without a skin will not sail?
I ordered wooden boards from Siberia. They should be bringing them in on bears soon.
I don't know what will happen, but there is no way back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I decided to reduce the weight. I made the side girder and bottom girder thinner and cut holes in the frames.

spacer.png

The design has become thinner. I can reduce more. But I want to test the displacement first and then it will be clear whether it needs to be done.

spacer.png

Sawed off 375 grams (13.23 ounces) of wood.

spacer.png

• Like 13

Gidday Dmitriy, those cut-outs are very neatly done, I thought the frames were die-cut that way, until I saw your scrap pile. Even though I guess they won't be seen the neat cut-outs demonstrate precision and neatness. Well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Dmitriy, those cut-outs are very neatly done. 

For historical accuracy, I sawed out the frames with a hand saw made in 1/35 scale. Therefore, it turned out exactly.

• Haha 4