Mirage 2000-01 prototype - ESCI 1/48

mesdames et messieurs: the one and only, fantastique, unique sexy high-finned Mirage 2000 prototype 01: 

Mirage 2000-01 Prototype

ESCI 1/48

+ Eduard PE

+ Master pitot

+ Fonderie Miniature Magic missiles

+ Cocardes magazine for inspiration

+ BM GB support

the first 2 Mirage 2000 prototypes originally had a differently shaped, higher fin. 01 got the series fin relatively quickly though! and is now in some French museum in the later white scheme

ESCI very quickly released a Mirage 2000, but unfortunate, (or fortunately for me!) they tooled the original protoype fin and radom. (and also provide accurate and still great decals!! :thumbsup:)

They relatively quickly noticed their error and updated their molds in respect to the fin. The radom is still the metal one with access panels that is only suitable for the prototpyes ....

the wing leading edge angle is generally too big as well and is more representative of the Mirage III wing shape...

the kit itself is great, incl. nice recessed panel lines.  the Eduard PE adds exactly were necessary. maybe it is the best fitting Mirage 2000 kit out there!

voila:

yL5vJJ1.jpg

work in progress in the still ongoing French Fancy GB 🇫🇷 (Gallery)

how all started 3 month ago:

cfDrkY2.jpg

the original in the air in ~1978

M2000-01_1er-voli.jpg

https://images.dassault-aviation.com/f_auto,q_auto,g_center,dpr_auto/wp-auto-upload/2/files/2017/05/M2000-01_1er-voli.jpg

ZyvT0PD.jpg

I am not sure if 01 ever carried any weapons or even pylons that is.... but they look cool and surely were a possibility for some airshow or display....

xHL7KPO.jpg

ntIPrv1.jpg

08oOggV.jpg

for those interested in details:

hAvIk6Q.jpg

2 times ESCI Mirages 2000s, one peculiar, unfamiliar high fin, one series production fin (both without ECM on the wing rood trailing edge, but differently shaped! )

both of course have the slightly wrong  shaped delta wing of the Mirage III series.... ESCI never corrected this...

K9jy6ud.jpg

hkPpoWM.jpg

GeslYOj.jpg

I hope you like it!

merci!

Werner

• Like 38

8 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's good. I like the nmf which gets very close to the photograph of the real deal.

yes and no... the real one looks much more weathered on the unpainted? upper wing section, rivets an drivet lines stand out much more...

but I  am rather happy with out the  metalic greys nd shades turned out!

thanks a lot!

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

yes and no... the real one looks much more weathered on the unpainted? upper wing section, rivets an drivet lines stand out much more...

but I  am rather happy with out the  metalic greys nd shades turned out!

thanks a lot!

True, you didn’t get it exactly. Good effort though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Nice work Werner, nice scheme to choose. The Esci kit looks better than expected up close!  I did the Monogram 1/48 in the later white prototype paintwork.

Thanks a lot!

indeed, the ESCI kit is really not bad! The Monogram kit is the worst of the bunch if you ask me... raised panel lines, strange nose, exhaust...

But the ESCI is not far behind :D

The Heller is a bit basic and needs cockpit and exhaust, but shape wise the best.

I did not build a Kinetic one yet though..

the white prototypes would be great next to a Mirage 4000.... maybe Modelsvit??  After the Mirage IV :devil:

On 10/20/2021 at 1:08 PM, Sky Keg said:

Werner, you just proved no matter how old a kit may be, there`s always a way to make it beautiful.  Great results and perseverance.

actually it maybe old, but it is not a bad kit at all!

I think it is way more difficult to the Mirage 2000 justice by building e.g. the Kinetic kit. Although much more detailed, it as serious fit issues, unnessessary complexity, etc...

On 10/20/2021 at 4:05 PM, F-32 said:

Great build, looks awesome

On 10/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, Unfinished project said:

Superb, love the Mirage 2000 and love these old Esci kits you’ve definitely done this justice 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

On 10/20/2021 at 8:14 AM, mack said:

Chapeau bas!

Thanks gents! Very much appreciated!

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 11:58 AM, PhantomLover said:

Great work on that old Esci kit, and a subject you don't see that often!

On 10/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, blueYeti said:

Chapeau bas ! Stunning job ! 👏

thansk a lot!

one more of the pair:

S2AbBLx.jpg

au revoir!

heuGK3b.jpg

• Like 2