Four 1/72 Fw 190s

Here are my four 1/72 Fw 190s finished over the weekend. They are an Eduard A-5, an Airfix A-8, a Hasegawa A-8, and an Airfix D-9. They were all entered in the Granitecon show in Manchester, New Hampshire on Sunday. One of the A-8s won a second place in its category, I’m just not sure which one as they only announced it as an Fw 190A-8 not the make of the kit. I’m pretty sure it was the Hasegawa that placed as the Airfix has some seam issues.

Hasegawa on left

Granitecon 2021

L-to-R: Hasegawa, Airfix, Eduard 

Granitecon 2021

Hasegawa and Airfix

Granitecon 2021

Eduard

Granitecon 2021

Granitecon 2021

Hasegawa 

Granitecon 2021

Airfix 

Granitecon 2021

Airfix D-9

Granitecon 2021 Granitecon 2021 Granitecon 2021

• Like 36

Well done, Mate! :thumbsup:

Must have been interesting to build 4 different kits of more-or-less the same plane.

I am not an expert in FW-190 variant recognition, but I'm guessing the AIrfix D-9 is the "10" in the last two of your pics.

I won't hazard a guess at the identities of the "11", "4" and "5".

Congratulation on taking the 2nd place. :clap2:

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Wow they're brilliant. Particularly like 'black 5' the green heart

Thanks so much! TBH, ‘Black 5’ is my favourite. The camo is all done freehand; it was a lot of fun.

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Very nice work. How did each kit compare? I imagine the Eduard kit was the most effort. 

The Eduard kit has, by far the most parts and is the most detailed. They are all quite easy builds with the most challenging thing being the painting. I freehand painted all the schemes and it was a learning experience but now I figure doing the same kind of thing in 1/48 or larger will be easy after doing it in 1/72. The mottling on the sides is “approximate,” I can’t guarantee 100% fidelity to the real aircraft; it’s difficult to do that from the illustrations in the instructions anyway.

The 25+ year old Hasegawa kit still holds up pretty well against the newer Airfix and Eduard kits. However, I’d recommend using aftermarket decals unless you get a very recent issue. The decals in my kit were pretty crap and I only used them because I wanted a Norway based aircraft with the Eismeer insignia on the nose. 
The Airfix D-9 lacks any sort of cockpit detail, which is why I installed a pilot. Apart from that, I think it captures the shape of the real aircraft very well. There are more modern kits of this version from Hasegawa, Tamiya, HobbyBoss, and AZ Models to choose from if you want more detail. It would be nice if Eduard tackled this version, as they did in 1/48.

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Do you mean you finished them at the weekend or you built them at the weekend?

Either way they are a fine quartet of Wurgers, well done.

I finished them this weekend. They have been under construction for some time and the show was the perfect inducement to get me to get them completed.