Spitfire oddity - The PR.XIII

Red Dog

Researching this spitfire oddity the PR.XIII

Going with Medium sea grey & Dark green over PRU Mauve as has been mentioned in previous posts (debatable but have go with something).

What I'm after is opinions on the colour of the squadron codes when they were being used for training by 718 FAA as in the b&w pics below

Knowing that FAA seafires used both white and yellow (as well as sky and red).

Have seen both yellow and white used for same squadron (model by tonyot here on BM)

spacer.png

spacer.png

From page 84 of Ian Allens Spitfire at War part 4

spacer.png

To me they look very white ie. bright and similar in tone to the white of the fin flash.

Also of note is the light colouring of the ailerons. I have seen profiles of FAA spitfire with yellow ailerons & wing tips.

Could these also be yellow? Seem a tad darker than the fuselage codes. 

Is that an indicator for a training aircraft?

5apc8oO.jpg

As always any help is greatly appreciated,

Cheers

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Apologies for picking up an old thread, but maybe better to keep such things together. I think I'm right in saying that the XIII carried 4x .303s. Does anyone know which gun bays were employed for the weapons: one might think the inner ones to keep the rate of roll as high as possible, or maybe the two middle ones?

Justin

9 hours ago, Bedders said:

I think I'm right in saying that the XIII carried 4x .303

Those converted from the PR.VII retained 8x .303, whilst those from the F.Vb had the cannon removed and retained 4x .303. Not sure if the machines that ended up with the FAA still retained eight guns.

• Like 2