1:32 Revell H145 Wales Air Ambulance

Jered

Nice work, I was in a similar charitable air ambulance service after I retired from the RCAF. It has operated off of donations for the past 35 years, I think we were the first of its kind in the world. I spent five years with them, during that time we flew three AW-139s and 9 BK-117s. The just retired the 139s and purchased 8 H145s, they still operate 8 BK-117s.

Edited by Scooby
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello modellers,

I've not had a huge amount of time recently, been working on the house a little bit including making a desk for my partner. Over the break I emailed the Bucher group who supply EMS interiors among other things to operators of HEMS wondering if I could get some drawings or reference photos of some of their kit. I'm not hopeful for a reply but it doesn't cost anything to ask! I found a couple of pictures on their website for the things I need to make including this:

spacer.png

As this will be rather hard to see when it's finished I don't mind it if it's out slightly.

Super thin plastic sheet in layers plus a scalpel:

spacer.png

The 4 strips in the center are the strip lights. Need to be trimmed a little bit straighter still but the overall effect is ok I think.

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 4

Fascinating build, I'll be following with great interest.

Out of interest where did you pick up the renaissance detail set from? I had a quick look on their website but couldn't see how to easily get one. I'm planning on building an H145 and EC135 as a UK HEMS helicopter myself in the future. 

I've skimmed the thread so I'm not sure if anyone has pointed out but (as a student heli pilot) I've seen the interior of a HEMS H145 when it dropped by for fuel (operated by Babcock) and as far as I'm aware all Babcock operated HEMS H145's are single pilot operations with no pedals/stick/cyclic in the left hand seat as the CC Paramedic sits there. As far as I'm aware this does apply to the Welsh Air Ambulance but I can't say I'm 100% sure, hope this isn't an inconvenience to your build but thought I'd mention it.

All the best,

Mark

On 15/01/2022 at 20:06, Anthony in NZ said:

No matter how small, I love your updates!  Thank you.  You do such clean work, just lovely

17 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Hear hear!

You guys are why I love this forum.

53 minutes ago, MBM said:

Fascinating build, I'll be following with great interest.

Out of interest where did you pick up the renaissance detail set from? I had a quick look on their website but couldn't see how to easily get one. I'm planning on building an H145 and EC135 as a UK HEMS helicopter myself in the future. 

I've skimmed the thread so I'm not sure if anyone has pointed out but (as a student heli pilot) I've seen the interior of a HEMS H145 when it dropped by for fuel (operated by Babcock) and as far as I'm aware all Babcock operated HEMS H145's are single pilot operations with no pedals/stick/cyclic in the left hand seat as the CC Paramedic sits there. As far as I'm aware this does apply to the Welsh Air Ambulance but I can't say I'm 100% sure, hope this isn't an inconvenience to your build but thought I'd mention it.

All the best,

Mark

I think I got the set direct from Renaissance (https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/) although their website looks quite ancient.

The instructions for the kit are very rudimentary and I feel that there are a couple of manufacturing mistakes but it is very nice and would recommend it as it adds quite a lot of fine details to the revell kit.

Ah how interesting, how long does it take to learn how to fly a helicopter? If you can fly one can you fly any of them or does each helicopter require individual training? 

I had a look at some photos, I could be wrong but I think I can just about make out a stick on this side but not sure I can see any pedals -

spacer.png

(Image stolen from airplane-pictures.net)

I asked the Wales air ambulance for a couple of interior pictures a while ago but I guess they were too busy to reply which is fair enough.

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Jered said:

I think I got the set direct from Renaissance (https://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/) although their website looks quite ancient.

The instructions for the kit are very rudimentary and I feel that there are a couple of manufacturing mistakes but it is very nice and would recommend it as it adds quite a lot of fine details to the revell kit.

Ah how interesting, how long does it take to learn how to fly a helicopter? If you can fly one can you fly any of them or does each helicopter require individual training? 

I had a look at some photos, I could be wrong but I think I can just about make out a stick on this side but not sure I can see any pedals -

I asked the Wales air ambulance for a couple of interior pictures a while ago but I guess they were too busy to reply which is fair enough.

Cheers,

Jered

Thanks very much, I will be investigating (once I have the money to get the upgrade set as it looks to be really good!) The photo etch alone should bring the surface to life

I should (hopefully) have my commercial license in about 12 months as I've just started training, sadly it'll take a while to build hours, gain experience as an instructor before I'll be ready to fly the H145 (which I hope to as a HEMS pilot). Yes, each different type requires a different type rating before you're allowed to fly them, so I'll be limited to the Cabri G2 and R44 for a few years.

My mistake, I've had a look and it looks like at least one of their helicopters are actually dual controls https://www.walesairambulance.com/news/a-247-air-ambulance-for-wales as shown by the image in this link. It would surprise me if they are a dual crew as other air ambulances operated by Babcock (Yorkshire, Midlands, East Anglia etc.) are all single pilot. My guess is they use it for training and type rating new pilots on, actually saw a Welsh 145 today on flightradar doing circuits into its Cardiff base (likely a training flight). I'll try and do some research to see if its all their H145's that have dual controls (G-WORL definitely has dual controls) or if its a particular registration that does, you've really sent me down the rabbit hole here.....!

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MBM said:

Thanks very much, I will be investigating (once I have the money to get the upgrade set as it looks to be really good!) The photo etch alone should bring the surface to life

I should (hopefully) have my commercial license in about 12 months as I've just started training, sadly it'll take a while to build hours, gain experience as an instructor before I'll be ready to fly the H145 (which I hope to as a HEMS pilot). Yes, each different type requires a different type rating before you're allowed to fly them, so I'll be limited to the Cabri G2 and R44 for a few years.

My mistake, I've had a look and it looks like at least one of their helicopters are actually dual controls https://www.walesairambulance.com/news/a-247-air-ambulance-for-wales as shown by the image in this link. It would surprise me if they are a dual crew as other air ambulances operated by Babcock (Yorkshire, Midlands, East Anglia etc.) are all single pilot. My guess is they use it for training and type rating new pilots on, actually saw a Welsh 145 today on flightradar doing circuits into its Cardiff base (likely a training flight). I'll try and do some research to see if its all their H145's that have dual controls (G-WORL definitely has dual controls) or if its a particular registration that does, you've really sent me down the rabbit hole here.....!

Thanks,

Mark

Not like driving a car then 😂 then again, under normal operation a car only travels in 2 dimensions!

That's really cool, I wish you all the luck in the world.

spacer.png

Looks like G-WENU got a pair of cable cutters in the last year also as it doesn't seem to be present on earlier photos.

Not that I spent the last couple of hours relentlessly trawling pictures and videos! Looks like I shall be able to sleep tonight 🤣

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 3

On 16/01/2022 at 21:52, Jered said:

Not like driving a car then 😂 then again, under normal operation a car only travels in 2 dimensions!

That's really cool, I wish you all the luck in the world.

Looks like G-WENU got a pair of cable cutters in the last year also as it doesn't seem to be present on earlier photos.

Not that I spent the last couple of hours relentlessly trawling pictures and videos! Looks like I shall be able to sleep tonight 🤣

Cheers,

Jered

Sadly so, although I'm rather glad type ratings aren't required on each different car type.....

Thank you! It'll be very nice to do what I've always wanted to do and it comes with the perks of many walkaround shots when I'm qualified for forums like these!

Yes, as far as I'm aware Babcock are putting it on their entire fleet of HEMS helis at the moment. 

Haha, very similar to me then, I'm glad I'm not alone, tempted to crack open my 1/32 EC135 and make the Welsh AAC to go with yours but I'm tempted to save it until I may be flying theses types.

Looking forward to your next build update!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 16:37, MBM said:

Sadly so, although I'm rather glad type ratings aren't required on each different car type.....

Thank you! It'll be very nice to do what I've always wanted to do and it comes with the perks of many walkaround shots when I'm qualified for forums like these!

Yes, as far as I'm aware Babcock are putting it on their entire fleet of HEMS helis at the moment. 

Haha, very similar to me then, I'm glad I'm not alone, tempted to crack open my 1/32 EC135 and make the Welsh AAC to go with yours but I'm tempted to save it until I may be flying theses types.

Looking forward to your next build update!

Cheers,

Mark

Can't wait to see more HEMS models! 

Had time for a quick drawing after work today with a view to either print or make from. I got a really nice email back from Mr Kraus of the Bucher group regarding their medical interiors and a full catalogue with lots of good reference photos. Had a stab at the o2 bottle rack. Not yet finished but you get the idea.

spacer.png

Got a few more panel lines to put on as well as some more details to the hose connectors and cylinders.

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 5

Mini update as I've been flat out with work again!

Finished off drawing the bottle rack pretty much. A couple of missing details such as the straps and hoses but these can be done with painted tape and fine solder wire. I'm still saving for a 3D printer at the moment so this will be a fun thing to print to get the hang of it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll probably draw the rest of the interior extras before doing much more physically. If these print nicely I'd be more than happy to make copies for anyone who wants them.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening folks,

I had a wee block of time to spend drawing this evening so I have had a look at modelling some more of the Bucher medical interior:

spacer.png

I have omitted a few details such as the cam lock releases for the mounting rails, but these would be covered by the bags in the rack so I'm not too concerned

spacer.png

One of the things I'm loving about this is appreciating how well designed these things are in real life - as a fine furniture maker it's definitely not lost on me!

spacer.png

All the bits so far. These aren't quite to scale to one another yet but it's so easy that I'll do it right at the end.

Have a great weekend and happy modelling.

Jered

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, hope we're all having a good week despite the storms.

[Insert standard excuse about too much day job work to do more modelling!]

I fear I may have gone a little bit mad on details, but it takes my mind off having to shell out for some car repairs so there's that 😂

I'm concentrating on the exterior for now until I get more internals drawn on the computer. 

I saw on the YouTube a technique for adding raised rivets. The gist of it is to mark out, make an indent with a drill and then glue in a micro solder ball in place. It works very well, it's just fiddly and optivisors are indispensable.

spacer.png

I have added some surface detail on the bearpaw which I think looks quite nice.

Another nice little detail I've added (probably needlessly since it's on the underside) are the clamps for the bearpaw.

spacer.png

I took some 0.3mm rod and flattened/curled it using a 2mm steel bar (needle file handle)

spacer.png

You'll have to take my word that I also put some 0.3mm rod on these for bolt heads, just hard to see because of white on white.

Below, I decided to take the hard route again in replacing the support brackets for the step-rail(?) I temporarily glued in some supports to keep it in the right place and then I made the plates from 0.4mm plastic sheet

spacer.png

And with the supports removed:

spacer.png

I've added a flat foot grip pad on the rail too as the kit part was modelled round. I used super thin plastic sheet cut into a strip which I then glued 0.3mm rods on to give it a corrugated/ribbed texture with some roundels inlaid in after as per the reference pics I'm looking at.

spacer.png

Doing some work on the blades as well. I can't really complain too much about missing details on the kit based on its price point, I think it's a shame to have missed off bits and pieces here and there but they're easy enough to add with some patience and a decent set of drills.

spacer.png

I've put a panel line below the hole I've drilled. 

spacer.png

Again with the fine rod cut down for nuts and bolts. I know they're not hexagonal but I think it'll be ok at this scale. I'm eyeing up the hexagonal punch set that's available but I can't justify the purchase at the moment.

spacer.png

Above I've added the balancing weights(?) Using 0.4mm brass tube which I think looks a lot neater than gluing them on. I also added the missing bolt heads onto these too.

spacer.png

And lastly (for now) some more PE details from the Renaissance set. There are obviously some bolt details and etc to go onto these brackets but I'm worried about pinging them off into oblivion while handling this part so I shall epoxy them on at a later date.

Not awful, just slow progress. Ah well, it's nice to not have deadlines.

All the best, have a great Sunday. Now to go make some pizza!

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 2

Fantastic update Jared!  

I've been waiting to see where you were at with this and your update didnt disappoint (well they never do actually)  Such inspiration to finish off my BK but I just HAVE to get this Brit Phantom conversion over the line first.  Absolutely stunning and thanks for the update

Cheers Anthony 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late into your build, but if you need reference pics, I fly an EC145, so pre fenestron, but much of it the same and can take any detail pics you want or need. Unfortunately we run a custom removable rescue medi kit so won't help with that.

Watching the build. I've got 2 kits in my stash.

• Like 2

On 06/03/2022 at 10:27, alouette3 said:

A bit late into your build, but if you need reference pics, I fly an EC145, so pre fenestron, but much of it the same and can take any detail pics you want or need. Unfortunately we run a custom removable rescue medi kit so won't help with that.

Watching the build. I've got 2 kits in my stash.

Very kind of you! I may ask for a few images when I get painting underway (so next year at this rate!)

I've had a little time this last weekend to do a little bit to this little kit.

Below I've remade the brackets for the Trakka beam light pod driver/control module. A little out of focus from my phone but it's 0.3mm x 0.5mm strips rolled into a ring with a 0.3mm rod around the outside to simulate it nicely.

spacer.png

I've started looking at the roar rotor again. I began to fill the seam from the join with the static blades in place 

spacer.png

Before realising it would be much easier to carefully cut the part out and fair and sand it nicely.

spacer.png

The other thing which will be a candidate for 3d printing will be the brackets at the ends of these blades. They'll be tiny but I think they'll make a big difference to the realism.

spacer.png

So with that part also held up for want of a printer I had enough time to add on the top cable cutter

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had initially made this with 0.6mm rod but I changed it to 0.4mm as I thought it looked a bit hefty.

Anyway, hope you're all staying safe and healthy!

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 3

Hi Jered, just came by this fantastic build of yours and had to read the full thread from start to end and you definitely got an extra follower in me! I like you are doing this in love of your father and to support the Air Ambulance charity 👍 Unfortunately there are a few of the older pictures which I can‘t see, but most of them are visible. 

I too work with the H145 only on the technical side, so please ask if you think there is anything I might be able to assist you with. 

Looking at the  wonderful landing gear you are building, I was wondering if the kit includes the landing gear hydraulic damper assembly (or rather just the aerodynamically fairings covering the dampers installed underneath) which are attached to both the right and left side of the forward landing gear entrance step fitting at one end and the fuselage (in the area of the cockpit entrance/cabin sliding door) at the other end? You can clearly see them in the very first picture you posted of G-WENU and also in your post on Jan 16. 

The bracket at the end of the stator blade is actually the attachment flange of the stator blade it self and is part of the blade. In the picture you posted the flange or attachment part of the blade is painted red and the blade part white/light grey (not sure of the colour?). The blade end is then attached to the airframe structure through holes in the carbon fibre cowling. Below a couple of photos which might be of help for the 3D drawing? They are from an EC135 and H135 respectively, but the principle remain the same. (If you need higher resolution PM me and I‘ll mail you the photos). 

Pkijjfn.jpg

tVimtvI.jpg

And just for info, on all H145 the co-pilots controls can be removed for single pilot ops. This includes quick disconnection of the yaw pedals, cyclic control and the collective lever. With the yaw pedals removed a cover will be installed. However, I know that many Air Ambulance operators are keeping the co-pilot controls installed for normal ops, as the emergency medical services crew member sitting in the left seat during flight might also be trained to do an emergency landing in case required. Just for general information and not necessary referring to the WAAC :) 

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your next update 🚁

Cheers

Johnny b 

Ps, if I’m getting to nerdy just tell me and I‘ll shut up and just lean back and enjoy your build 🤓

• Like 2

On 09/03/2022 at 17:47, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks for the update Jered!  You never disappoint!

Your workmanship is lovely and clean, just wonderful

Thank you Anthony, and thank you for always keeping me motivated! I can't wait to see your Heli when you get back onto it.

22 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Hi Jered, just came by this fantastic build of yours and had to read the full thread from start to end and you definitely got an extra follower in me! I like you are doing this in love of your father and to support the Air Ambulance charity 👍 Unfortunately there are a few of the older pictures which I can‘t see, but most of them are visible. 

I too work with the H145 only on the technical side, so please ask if you think there is anything I might be able to assist you with. 

Looking at the  wonderful landing gear you are building, I was wondering if the kit includes the landing gear hydraulic damper assembly (or rather just the aerodynamically fairings covering the dampers installed underneath) which are attached to both the right and left side of the forward landing gear entrance step fitting at one end and the fuselage (in the area of the cockpit entrance/cabin sliding door) at the other end? You can clearly see them in the very first picture you posted of G-WENU and also in your post on Jan 16. 

The bracket at the end of the stator blade is actually the attachment flange of the stator blade it self and is part of the blade. In the picture you posted the flange or attachment part of the blade is painted red and the blade part white/light grey (not sure of the colour?). The blade end is then attached to the airframe structure through holes in the carbon fibre cowling. Below a couple of photos which might be of help for the 3D drawing? They are from an EC135 and H135 respectively, but the principle remain the same. (If you need higher resolution PM me and I‘ll mail you the photos). 

Pkijjfn.jpg

tVimtvI.jpg

And just for info, on all H145 the co-pilots controls can be removed for single pilot ops. This includes quick disconnection of the yaw pedals, cyclic control and the collective lever. With the yaw pedals removed a cover will be installed. However, I know that many Air Ambulance operators are keeping the co-pilot controls installed for normal ops, as the emergency medical services crew member sitting in the left seat during flight might also be trained to do an emergency landing in case required. Just for general information and not necessary referring to the WAAC :) 

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your next update 🚁

Cheers

Johnny b 

Ps, if I’m getting to nerdy just tell me and I‘ll shut up and just lean back and enjoy your build 🤓

Thank you for your kind words, that's a marvelously helpful offer. I'll be sure to take you up on it when I get stuck!

Yes, the Revell kit has these dampers, I'll admit that I've not yet scrutinized them properly yet as I figured they'd be best fitted after the main fuselage is fused together and ready to paint since this part will span between the lower and upper halves of the body and is a different colour to the body.

Speaking of which, I don't suppose you'd know the RAL colours for the WAAC? I emailed Babcock who said they'd pass it on to the relevant maintenance bods but I'm sure they've much bigger fish to fry!

Cheers,

Jered

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jered said:

Yes, the Revell kit has these dampers, I'll admit that I've not yet scrutinized them properly yet as I figured they'd be best fitted after the main fuselage is fused together and ready to paint since this part will span between the lower and upper halves of the body and is a different colour to the body

Sounds like the right approach, as long as they are included at least you do not have to scratch build them too :) 

2 hours ago, Jered said:

Speaking of which, I don't suppose you'd know the RAL colours for the WAAC? I emailed Babcock who said they'd pass it on to the relevant maintenance bods but I'm sure they've much bigger fish to fry!

I‘m sorry but I do not have the specific RAL codes for the WAAC helicopters. One could imagine that if all their H145‘s were delivered new, they would have gone for a standard red RAL colour as not to pay extra for the paint scheme? The green and all other markings like the text could even by wrap, but I‘m not sure? 

If it is a standard red, to my eye it looks in direction of RAL 3000 Flame Red (this is what the German operator DRF Luftrettung is using on their 145, if you would like to compare pictures), or maybe RAL 3020 Traffic Red but it looks to bright, or? They should both be standard Airbus colours I think. 

Could the green possibly be RAL 6024 Traffic Green? Also a standard colour me thinks. 

Sorry I can‘t help you better, if I find something specific to WAAC I’ll let you know, hope you hear back from Babcock!

• Like 2

On 11/03/2022 at 18:40, Bertie Psmith said:

Jered, you are a man with considerable skills! This build is fascinating though your kind of building is now way beyond my capabilities. It's nice to watch without trying to emulate or envy. I'm just appreciating it all!

Ah you're too kind! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. 

Hope everyone had a good weekend, spring is definitely starting to emerge here in the northern hemisphere.

I managed to get a couple of hours in on Sunday amid gardening, cooking, cleaning etc etc.

spacer.png

Rotors are pretty much built save for adding a couple of wires after painting. I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. All the additional bolts make a big difference all together.

So, now for a complex bit - door hinging. Luckily, being a fine furniture maker by trade I have no excuses for not doing a good job of hinges 😂

spacer.png

Here I have flushed off the moulded hinge mortises, threaded through the holes with a 0.5mm rod to align them.

spacer.png

Taped on the door

spacer.png

spacer.png

Viola! I wouldn't recommend superglue for this, either epoxy or acrylic glue is better in my opinion.

spacer.png

And here's a cheeky snap of the dry fitted fuselage.

Have a great week everyone!

Jered

• Like 7