Norwegian / Danish Air Ambulance - Revell 1/72 Eurocopter EC135

Evening all,

Somehow I seem to have lost interest in the F-16 with the colourful tail I was supposed to do for this GB (for now at least) and have turned my interest on this little kit instead.

xdwys29.jpg

Indeed, Air-Glaciers is located a bit to south to be called Nordic, so I have ordered these decals with Lima November Decals in order to turn it into a Danish “Akutlæge” helicopter, as currently operated by Norwegian Air Ambulance (Norsk Luftambulanse) out of four bases in Denmark.

j0m0sgt.png

Hoping to achieve something looking as close as possible to this beautiful bird here. 

FDF5xbR.jpg

Personally I think both the H135 and H145 are smart looking helicopters, but then again I’m a bit biased, as I now work with Airbus Helicopters in Donauwörth, Germany, where we are building these “rotaries”.

Also ordered some paint from Vallejo for the base colour, which should be RAL 1016 “Euro Yellow” (or sulphur yellow). Paint should arrive in a few day’s time and hopefully I’ll get an order confirmation from LN Decals soon too.

Thanks for watching!

Johnny b

• Like 11

That´s a great project! I agree, it looks great and in fact, there is one flying above me right now.. I live right next to our trauma center here so a similar painted chopper is often coming in above me..

Wish i could paint something like that - instead I have to watch you, but that´s okay! ;)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, Col. said:

That's certainly a colourful subject Johnny and you have something of a personal connection to it as well :) 

Thanks Col, just hoping I can match the right colour!

On 10/19/2021 at 9:03 PM, Paramedic said:

That´s a great project! I agree, it looks great and in fact, there is one flying above me right now.. I live right next to our trauma center here so a similar painted chopper is often coming in above me..

Wish i could paint something like that - instead I have to watch you, but that´s okay! ;)

Thanks Paramedic, if you live in Sweden it’s likely the ones from Svensk Luftambulans you are seeing? They are taking delivery of some brand new Airbus H145 with 5 rotorblades at the moment, beautiful yellow shiny thing :) 

3 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Johhny, the LN decals are really good. Please take a look at my version of this kit in the FRI section. The Revell nose glazing does not fit very well and needs lots of packing to fill the gaps.

regards Toby

Thanks Toby, I did see your RFI earlier and both the EC and the BO are looking fantastic :) 

May I ask please, which paint did you use? 

I ordered some paint from Vallejo sold as RAL 1016 which arrived today, but unfortunately it came no where close to the right colour! Unless I can find an alternative for the airbrush, I’ll see if I can find a rattle can with some auto paint in the right colour.

Mine will differ slightly from yours, as I’m going for the variant flying in Denmark. Unfortunately I do not have a spare weather radar for the nose, so unless I can come up the something creative, it will have to do without the radar. 

As for the decals, I haven’t heard back from LN Decals yet but I hope he has received the order. 

Regarding the glareshield, it appears as if every EC135 kit from Revell is having the same issue:

ykOwssI.jpg

Cheers

Johnny b 

• Like 4

It´s the one (two Summer time) in Stockholm. :) Cool, I´ll have  abetter look next time! When I walk to work or uni, I sometimes pass directly underneath when it goes in for landing, like STRAIGHT down.. ;)

The Police used to have something similar to that one you have here, I think.. But they bought Bell 429s a few years ago.

Nice little thing you have there.. I´m tempted too..

Dear Johnny

Revell no 12 enamel is the yellow I used on mine. Some plastic card packing was glued to the fuselage halves before any construction started. They were sanded to shape to match the nose window, it was a bit slow but looked good when complete. The fesulage sides also need thinning out from the inside so the windows are flush with the fuselage outer skin.

Ruben works offshore on an oil rig so it might take a couple of weeks before your order is posted.

Regards Toby

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Johnny

Revell no 12 enamel is the yellow I used on mine. Some plastic card packing was glued to the fuselage halves before any construction started. They were sanded to shape to match the nose window, it was a bit slow but looked good when complete. The fesulage sides also need thinning out from the inside so the windows are flush with the fuselage outer skin.

Ruben works offshore on an oil rig so it might take a couple of weeks before your order is posted.

Regards Toby

Mange tak Toby for all the info!

Good to know Ruben is away, I’m sure he will take care of it once his back. 

Hilsen Johnny 

Oh nice, I love a good helicopter. Trauma helo's fly in these colours around here too, we had one land like 30 meters from our house on a grass pitch a couple of years ago, holy crab that was intense. I've read a lot about the pilots in Vietnam, guns, slicks and scouts, amazing what these guys could do with those machines. So, I'm in 🙂 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Oh nice, I love a good helicopter. Trauma helo's fly in these colours around here too, we had one land like 30 meters from our house on a grass pitch a couple of years ago, holy crab that was intense. I've read a lot about the pilots in Vietnam, guns, slicks and scouts, amazing what these guys could do with those machines. So, I'm in 🙂 

Thanks Jeroen and welcome aboard 🚁 

It looks a lovely molded  kit ,shame about the canopy clearness but the paint part looks to cover most of it ,  mmn  maybe a lot of test fitting in your future i see ,yes ..( sorry been watching star wars)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

It looks a lovely molded  kit ,shame about the canopy clearness but the paint part looks to cover most of it ,  mmn  maybe a lot of test fitting in your future i see ,yes ..( sorry been watching star wars)

Hi Hewy, yes the molded parts are looking really good, only all the clear parts are of a rather poor quality and fit. If I knew how to and had the materials, I would polish the clear parts on both sides but that will have to be for next EC135.

For anyone building this kit, I would suggest to separate the windows from each other for a better fit and as Toby said above, the fuselage sides need (quite a lot of) thinning out from the inside, for the windows to fit flush with the outer skin.

iIV21js.jpg

For the paints, I did an experiment with about 2/3 of Revell 36112 gloss yellow and 1/3 of white, with a tint of green added (but no more than would stick to the tip of a cocktail stick) and got this, which is not to bad I think.

Ej1Xau7.jpg

Cheers

Johnny b 

(and here I was looking for a good Star Wars quote but couldn't come up with anything ... :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice subject.  I have just got hold of the Revell EC145 but would like to know if there are any alternative decals available for it?

Thanks Paul and yes there are quite a lot of alternative decals available for the EC145.

If you are looking for something Nordic you could try Lima November Decals (https://lndecals.com/index.htm), or for Austria (https://www.brent-air-decals.at/Hubschrauber), or for Germany (https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/1-72-Decals-for-Helicoptermodels/?language=en) and (https://www.sparks-scalemodelshop.de/en/).

Try and do a search on scalemates for EC145, H145, BK-117 and look under decals and also check out aviationmegastore.

Will you be building your EC145 for this GB? 

Went for some cheap beer last night - and the chopper came in low above me, to land at the Trauma Centre (NKS) - but I could not tell what model, too dark - and too many flashing lights..! :D

I got my beer though..

Those windows seems a bit tricky.. That paint, does it shjow up the same in the photo as in real life for you? I cannot tell how correct, not paid too much attention to the real things. But it looks good? :)

Nice one Johnny B, great scheme.

Pink (yes pink) is a great base for an all-yellow scheme - Tamiya do mini-spray cans of it.

If you can, try to add some weight inside the instrument cluster or under the front of the floor - the kit can be a little tail-happy.

All the best,

Dermot 

On 10/24/2021 at 12:55 PM, Paramedic said:

Went for some cheap beer last night - and the chopper came in low above me, to land at the Trauma Centre (NKS) - but I could not tell what model, too dark - and too many flashing lights..! :D

I got my beer though..

Cheap beer in Sweden, hmm ….. ;) 

It’s always challeging getting the paint right isn’t it, just as you think you got the colour right, it will look different in the end depending on the choice og primer, varnish, etc. Anyways, it will take some time before I get to the painting stage so plenty of time to experiment. 

Btw Paramedic, your Mustang looks great in the gallery! 

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dermo245 said:

Nice one Johnny B, great scheme.

Pink (yes pink) is a great base for an all-yellow scheme - Tamiya do mini-spray cans of it.

If you can, try to add some weight inside the instrument cluster or under the front of the floor - the kit can be a little tail-happy.

All the best,

Dermot 

Thanks a lot for the infos Dermot, I will make sure to add some weight in the front. I’ll definitely  try some pink primer if I can get my hands on it. I’m hoping to go for a toys and hobby fair in Stuttgart mid November, will have a look to see if I can source the primer there. 

• Like 1

On 24/10/2021 at 11:08, desert falcon said:

Thanks Paul and yes there are quite a lot of alternative decals available for the EC145.

If you are looking for something Nordic you could try Lima November Decals (https://lndecals.com/index.htm), or for Austria (https://www.brent-air-decals.at/Hubschrauber), or for Germany (https://www.peddinghaus-decals.de/1-72-Decals-for-Helicoptermodels/?language=en) and (https://www.sparks-scalemodelshop.de/en/).

Try and do a search on scalemates for EC145, H145, BK-117 and look under decals and also check out aviationmegastore.

Will you be building your EC145 for this GB? 

Thanks for the links re decals. May have to look into  them. As for building for this gb  I don't  think so as I have other things to try and finish  off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Cheap beer in Sweden, hmm ….. ;) 

It’s always challeging getting the paint right isn’t it, just as you think you got the colour right, it will look different in the end depending on the choice og primer, varnish, etc. Anyways, it will take some time before I get to the painting stage so plenty of time to experiment. 

Btw Paramedic, your Mustang looks great in the gallery! 

Yeah, I bought the cheapest 2.8 ABV I could get.. Barely drinkable.. ;) But cold..

Yeah - I have had some surprises lately with primers especially.. But used new paints (thinner consistency) so know what you mean! It looks good though.

Thanks - a little rushed and I should have taken it easier. But.. Next time? :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I need your advice please!

The windshield on my EC135 is of a really poor fit and quality, with lots of scratches and imperfections. While I can likely work something out on the fit using some plastic card and filler, I need some help on what to do with scratches.

Below a photo to show you the current state.

CvjHwTv.jpg

It’s difficult to really see on the photos but basically both sides of the windscreen is full of these scratches/marks.

So my question is, can I remove these and if yes, how please?

If I can’t achieve a decent result on the windshield, I will just have black out all the clear parts, forget about the interior and then concentrate on getting a good look on the exterior.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Johnny b

• Sad 1