MIG-21 PFM, Fortele Aeriene Romane, Eduard 1/72

MIG-21 PFM out of the Eduard kit with some accessories (also from Eduard), slightly modified by adding 2 outboard wing pylons (same type and position as on latter versions, M, MF, bis, etc) it was a one-off Romanian “upgrade”; the plane was in service within Fortele Aeriene Romane till late 90’s. Decals (roundels and tactical number) are from spare box; painted with Mr. Color enamels.

Any comment is appreciated.

51602680607_993184d539_k.jpgGX9A4237_031 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51604162619_88f3922eb2_k.jpgGX9A4250_034 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51604162579_ba20373224_k.jpgGX9A4252_032 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51604162754_8ddd5a96f8_k.jpgGX9A4247_033 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51602680517_48f08a3a76_k.jpgGX9A4249_033 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

• Like 31

Very nice PFM. Of all the Mig-21 versions that were produced, I have a special liking for the PFM. I can't explain why!

Terry

• Like 1

This is really beautiful in every respect.  The photo of the stern quarter makes the plane look like it's raring to get airborne!  I have not seen pictures before of this version or paint job, but one thing strikes me as quite different besides the obvious mod: the VHF/UHF antenna fairing on the vertical fin is painted over.  Usually it was left in radio-transparent green, or am I wrong?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This is really beautiful in every respect.  The photo of the stern quarter makes the plane look like it's raring to get airborne!  I have not seen pictures before of this version or paint job, but one thing strikes me as quite different besides the obvious mod: the VHF/UHF antenna fairing on the vertical fin is painted over.  Usually it was left in radio-transparent green, or am I wrong?

The "fin cap" was most of the time painted the same as the rest of the airframe on PFM version, at least on Romanian ones. The radio-transparent green was specific to latter versions, M, MF, etc.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!

Interesting! Why would one operate 1 jet of a time

I guess for such an upgrade you would need a new wing, no?

The modification was done in maintenance facility; I do not have detailed information on how was done but I lean more towards adaptation of the original PFM wing. Same facility performed – again as one-off – same kind of modification on a MIG-17F, by adding inboard wing pylons, somehow similar to Polish Lim’s.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mack said:

The modification was done in maintenance facility; I do not have detailed information on how was done but I lean more towards adaptation of the original PFM wing. Same facility performed – again as one-off – same kind of modification on a MIG-17F, by adding inboard wing pylons, somehow similar to Polish Lim’s.

definitely a nice one!

https://www.airhistory.net/photo/172459/8102

this is an AA-2 Atol launcher outboard, no?