KP 1/72 Spitfire accuracy?

Procopius

Hullo all,

As noted in the Rumourmonger (q.v.), KP is releasing a 1/72 Spitfire Ia based off of their prior work on the Vb and Vc. I vaguely recall, like echoes in the darkening corridor of my memory, that there were some shape issues with the extant kits in the series. Does anyone recall what they were? Assistance is much appreciated!

P, see if this link helps. Granted, it's just one reviewer's observations. Appears to be a  new-tool, and not based on their original molds, but I don't have any of them, old or new, so I can't tell you for sure. Maybe one of our Spitfire savants can give you more details. (When the new-tool Airfix Vc was announced, I gave up trying to get one from another maker. (Maybe the Spitfire kits under the KP label are new tools, and the ones under the AZ label are revised toolings?

Mike

http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/kits/kpm0056reviewmd_1.htm

If the 'new' Mk1's are up to the same standard as their V's then they should be an improvement on the current Tamiya and Airfix kits so I've a couple on back-order and eagerly await their eventual arrival. I have their "Aces" Vb kit and although I've yet to start the build it compares most favourably with the Airfix Vc and in certain respects such as the finesse of the panel lines and the engraving it is superior IMHO.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The KP kits look pretty good to me but I haven't compared them to plans. This thread has a photo showing the chord of the KP VB is slightly less than the latest Airfix I.

I don't know if the fuselage is accurate or not.

I think I have some 1/72 plans somewhere and have plenty of Spitfires to measure, certainly a 1970s Spitfire I which I seem to remember  is considered accurate. I might do some comparisons.

Right, just got back from the loft and the results are in. These are the measurements from rudder hinge line to the endow the engine(if that makes sense):

Airfix 1970s MkI = 111mm

Airfix latest MkI = 111.5mm

KP MkVb = 110.5mm

My measurements may not be exact, I used a ruler. I also compared the left to right fuselages, the KP is shorter than both of the Airfix.

• Thanks 1

The current Airfix matches the Monforton dimensions, taken from Supermarine drawings.  I'm not sure to what accuracy.   I defy anyone to tell that one finished model is 1mm (or 0.9%) shorter than another, over a total or partial distance.  A more interesting question is perhaps the length of the cowling forward of the firewall, where the new Airfix kit is noticeably longer than the older one.  I haven't compared the AZ/KP kits to either Airfix, nor been able to obtain a convincing explanation of which is correct - but the same thing happened with Airfix's last Mk.IX, and it was correct.  Unlike pretty well every, if not every, earlier kit.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Procopius said:

Go figure, I actually have a very precise micrometer (a Mitutoyo), but no longer have any of the above kits. 

There's a micrometer amongst my late father's tool collection but that's at my mother's house and a certain virus prevents me from getting there easily. I'll have to chore it next time I visit her.

20 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

A more interesting question is perhaps the length of the cowling forward of the firewall, where the new Airfix kit is noticeably longer than the older one. 

That is a pertinent question, I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling of 'at'. Damn my fat thumbs and failing eyesight.