Question: Royal Navy FG. 1 Phantoms Loadouts?????

Corvi

I am working on my 1/48 Revell-Hasegawa FG.1 Phantom and was wondering about loadouts.  I see that RN FG.1  carried AIM-7 Sparrows and Sidewinders.  My questions are as follows:

-1) I am building a 1968-70 Royal Navy FG. 1 Phantom and want to know if it indeed carried Sidewinders as a typical loadout??

-2) Second  What version of the Sidewinder did the RN FG.1's carry?   B's E's???

Thanks

Steve,

Edited by Corvi

• Corvi changed the title to Question: Royal Navy FG. 1 Phantoms Loadouts?????
2 hours ago, Corvi said:

I am working on my 1/48 Revell-Hasegawa FG.1 Phantom and was wondering about loadouts.  I see that RN FG.1  carried AIM-7 Sparrows and Sidewinders.  My questions are as follows:

-1) I am building a 1968-70 Royal Navy FG. 1 Phantom and want to know if it indeed carried Sidewinders as a typical loadout??

-2) Second  What version of the Sidewinder did the RN FG.1's carry?   B's E's???

Thanks

Steve,

I've got this, not sure of the date, but it's quite early I think?

g5i9rN.jpg

John

• Like 1

The above diagram is not for an FG.1 in FAA trim as they didn't have the option to carry the SUU gun (the RAF had the SUU Gun mods carried out to their FG.1s starting in the early/mid '70's), the FAA didn't use the SNEB rocket pods and I don't think the strike camera was an option either. Looks like this is for the FGR.2 to me.

Duncan B

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

The above diagram is not for an FG.1 in FAA trim as they didn't have the option to carry the SUU gun (the RAF had the SUU Gun mods carried out to their FG.1s starting in the early/mid '70's), the FAA didn't use the SNEB rocket pods and I don't think the strike camera was an option either. Looks like this is for the FGR.2 to me.

Duncan B

I was thinking more about the missiles. This is from the armament training notes, so it has everything included. I'm no Phantom expert though, just thought it may help if not directly.

John

• Like 3

In the early 70's it was AIM-7E Sparrows and AIM-9Ds carried in the air defence role.

It's quite hard finding images of FAA Phantoms carrying sidewinders, acquisition rounds seem far more common.

In the strike role iron bombs and 2" rocket pods were used. 

That definitely is an FGR.2 load diagram, note recce pod aswel.

• Like 2

Once 892 Sqn moved their home base to RAF Leuchars they regularly stood their turn at QRA when not at sea so an A to A load out with 2x Fletchers, 4x 'Winders, 4x Sparrows and a centreline tank is a reasonable call. However there are some great photos out there of them carrying mixed loads that make for an interesting model so something a little different from the norm is possible.

Duncan B

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Once 892 Sqn moved their home base to RAF Leuchars they regularly stood their turn at QRA when not at sea so an A to A load out with 2x Fletchers, 4x 'Winders, 4x Sparrows and a centreline tank is a reasonable call. However there are some great photos out there of them carrying mixed loads that make for an interesting model so something a little different from the norm is possible.

Duncan B

Great info Duncan! I've an 892 machine to build and was hoping to load it up. Could I ask what a 'typical' A2A load for a carrier based jet would be, or theoretically could be?

• Like 1

Just now, DaveJL said:

Great info Duncan! I've an 892 machine to build and was hoping to load it up. Could I ask what a 'typical' A2A load for a carrier based jet would be, or theoretically could be?

I can only go by the photos I've seen of them on the Ark so, hopefully, someone with firsthand experience of operating them from the carrier will come along with a definitive answer. From what I've seen though they don't appear to have carried the Sargant Fletcher drop tanks so often so maybe a centreline tank and missiles would be an option?

Duncan B

1 minute ago, Duncan B said:

I can only go by the photos I've seen of them on the Ark so, hopefully, someone with firsthand experience of operating them from the carrier will come along with a definitive answer. From what I've seen though they don't appear to have carried the Sargant Fletcher drop tanks so often so maybe a centreline tank and missiles would be an option?

Duncan B

I haven't seen many images of them fully loaded but had guessed on at least the centre tank and the mixture of missiles.

Carrier loads are disappointingly sparse generally, the 'air show' display loads are interesting though, and tend to be what make for more interesting models.

Under wing and centre tanks were carried, acquisition rounds seem far more common than actual sidewinders.

It seems the best way is to pick your picture and model from that.

Nice shot of actual 'Sidewinders fitted here in 1971

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-aircraft-hms-ark-royal-fleet-air-arm-aug-1971-a-mcdonnell-douglas-20091387.html

Later period with acquisition round

https://weaponsparade.com/wp-content/uploads/fb-usa-F.4K-PHANTOM-II-FG.1-gb-1.jpg

Edited by 71chally
added pic

OK  Thanks guys.  I see it is rare for a load out with actual Sidewinders -9D's. 

SO I guess I can do Sparrows and wing tanks....and maybe even the center line tank.    Seems to be far more prevalent for the bird and era I am modeling.

Yes I am aware the ordinance options get more varied as we get into 1977-1982 era for the FG. 1 and the RAF handoff.  However,  I am strictly doing an early Royal Navy FG.1   I have two options:  XT857 HMS Eagle Deck Trials Armamaent Experimental  '7'   1969   OR     XT868 Yeovilton NAval Air Squadron  '153 of 767'   1971.

Steve,

• Like 1

I have some iron bombs BUT they are US types Mk. 82' s AND  M117's with & without Fuse extenders.

I don't think the RN used any of those??  What kind of Iron Bomb loadout for RN aircraft of this era 1969-1971??

Steve,

As it's a 68-70 period a/c, are you using the rounded fin cap as I suspect the RWR wasn't fitted then.... and don't fit the ILS aerials as the RN a/c didn't ever have them fitted. (bound to be proved wrong there!)(the restored one at Yeovilton doesn't count!)

Yes rounded fin.  NO ILS or RWR.

Just working on the loadout.  I would like if I could accurately add some iron bombs but I dont think I have the right types for RN birds??

US types Mk. 82' s AND  M117's with & without Fuse extenders.

ThaNKS

Steve

5 hours ago, Corvi said:

Yes rounded fin.  NO ILS or RWR.

Just working on the loadout.  I would like if I could accurately add some iron bombs but I dont think I have the right types for RN birds??

US types Mk. 82' s AND  M117's with & without Fuse extenders.

ThaNKS

Steve

UK 1000Lb bombs and the 2in rocket pods were the only A to G ordinance I've ever seen photos of them carrying. For the Eagle deck trials there should be plenty of photos, I'll take a look through my books but think they weren't carrying anything at all for those trials.

Duncan B

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

In the early 70's it was AIM-7E Sparrows and AIM-9Ds carried in the air defence role.

It's quite hard finding images of FAA Phantoms carrying sidewinders, acquisition rounds seem far more common.

In the strike role iron bombs and 2" rocket pods were used. 

That definitely is an FGR.2 load diagram, note recce pod aswel.

Sorry, but the RN and RAF never had the AIM9D. The Missiles procured with  Phantom were AIM9G, which were eventually replaced in RAF service post falklands with the AIM9L

Selwyn

• Like 1

The Royal Navy used AIM-9Ds which were ordered in 1967.

My understanding is that the first of 1700+ AIM-9Gs were delivered in 1977, personally I suspect that the Navy didn't even get to use the 9Gs.

The mods (656-658) required for the SEAM (the AIM-9G) upgrade, shown in a 1984 mod sheet, indicate that FG.1 (RAF) and FGR.2 only were modified for 9Gs. 

This store diagram is useful for load types,

51012397003_f4d6946ec4_o.pngPhantom FG.1 and FGR.2 stores 1977 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally

On 10/19/2021 at 3:19 PM, Corvi said:

XT857 HMS Eagle Deck Trials Armamaent Experimental  '7'   1969   OR     XT868 Yeovilton NAval Air Squadron  '153 of 767'   1971.

Steve,

I think both of those which were trials and training jets are going to be limited when it comes to armament options.  

Here's a picture of an FAA Phantom in 1970 with bombs, looks like one on the outboard, and two on the inboard pylons to me,

Phantom_FG.1_on_cat_of_HMS_Ark_Royal_(R0

I'm guessing you might have seen this, but just in case.  Also useful for @cardiff guy and his flying suit question.

• Thanks 1

Just a thought: 892 NAS was the only operational/frontline squadron, 767 being a training squadron. As the Ark Royal would have carried Buccaneers for the strike role, would the Tooms have ever carried bombs or just A2A ordnance in anger? 

Hi Corvil, hello all

A couple of pic's showing 892 phantoms with missile loads. The first two in colour taken with one of the old Kodak 110 cartridge cameras I used to keep in my flight deck jacket pocket, sorry not the best quality. 

The first black & white pic is from a slightly later time frame but it does show a good selection of weapons, I think it was posed for an open-day or the like.

The second black & white pic shows a heavy bomb load, the 892 would carry bombs on a fairly regular basis.

I hope they are of some help.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All the best

RR (Chris)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Roof Rat has provided a photo of them with A2G stores but here's one I found online and used as the basis for my 892 Sqn F-4 build (might help with the flying suits too?). This is taken on the line at RAF Leuchars and shows the nearest one carrying a 2in rocket pod. Also worth noting is the relative position of the wing roundels, the underside roundels appear to be positioned nearer the middle of the outer wing panel than the topside ones which a lot of folk miss.

892_Sqn_at_RAF_Leuchars_1976_rsr_zps4ba2

R007XT871April1971_zpsb614c4cb-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3