Beirut mine protected Land Rover

viper-30

Having finished the snow thingy .. decided to knock together a 109 Land Rover .. BSM make a resin and photo etch version of this ans I’ve a couple of the kits but I need three for the different theatres of operation . Op AGILA Rhodesia,op Banner and op Hyperion .

I have a particular interest in two of these from a previous life .. anyway enough of the drivel .

the chosen base was the trusty old italeri/revell Land Rover . Fine enough kit apart from the wheels [six wheel nuts and rubbish detail] and a few other niggles .

on we go .

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 14

It's a pity that Italeri chose to model a civilian-spec Landy rather than the GS type.  Lots to change inside and out.  I made a whole heap of S3s back in the early 80's from this kit, including some cut down to 88"wb.

MIght their later Pinkie be a better start point?  The Revell boxing also made some useful changes to the parts but didn't solve all the flaws by any means.

Thanks for your comments Das. Yes I’d agree it’s a bit of a mix but I’ve enough spare bits to make a passable effort on the military front..spent many years driving them and the corrections are relatively easy …. 
radio kit starting to come together along with the table.. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 10

I'm not a military person but I've read a lot.

I don't know whether to feel profoundly concerned or to get into a towering rage at the thought of our lads facing mines in a LANDROVER, protected or not.

Great modelling, the detail is terrific.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, echen said:

I'm not a military person but I've read a lot.

I don't know whether to feel profoundly concerned or to get into a towering rage at the thought of our lads facing mines in a LANDROVER, protected or not.

Great modelling, the detail is terrific.

Thank you 

it’s what we did back then .. either NI or other conflicts, armour has improved over the years …but what we had we had ..

• Sad 1

Interesting project. I was at RAF Akrotiri with the Buccaneers on Op Pulsator, when the blokes and their equipment were brought back from Beirut.

The speed those Landrovers were driven around camp, you took your life in your hands when crossing the road. 😆

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Interesting project. I was at RAF Akrotiri with the Buccaneers on Op Pulsator, when the blokes and their equipment were brought back from Beirut.

The speed those Landrovers were driven around camp, you took your life in your hands when crossing the road. 😆

Me too….Not on buccaneers but with 34Sqn 

Managed some good progress.. roll bars sorted from some scrap metal and some colour going on .. and a small base to put it on ..always adds a sense of scale I think .

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 9

This is a great little build. Enjoying the progress. Right up my street 👍🏻. How did you do the plastic windows? I have a project where this may come in so would be nice to know what materials you used as it seems to work.

Cheers

Andrew

• Like 1

Cheers Andrew most kind of you .. the window on the canvas is a bit that’s often missed ans is quite prominent.. I use a bit of plastic from zip lock bags as the plastic is slightly thicker and bends well . All held in place with some masking tape and white glue .. as the interior has a prominent seam around it ..

glad your enjoying it .

• Like 1