Lysander interior colours.

Jobbie

Morning / Afternoon / Evening (Apply the greeting that suits your specific timezone presently),

I'm building the Eduard / Gavia 1:48 Westland Lysander... Yay me.

I've had a look for interior photos on this Britmodeller walk around forum and wherever else, and I've found no definitive answer to the interior colours of the Lizzie- It looks to me like the RAF museum example is standard British interior grey-green BS283. However, other photos one one being restored at Duxford is grey-green above the window sills and silver/aluminium below the windows- to include the internal structural cage and external stringers and formers for the outer linen. Which is more correct?

I'd assume the inside of the doped linen skin is unpainted, so I was going to paint the inside of the fuselage halves a sail linen colour with pink splotches and mottling. But would I be correct to assume the fuselage internal horizontal stringers were unpainted in wartime? And only restored examples are painted as a corrosion control measure? 

Does anybody have a photo of the back seat area of any Lysander, be it a Mk.I, II, III or SOE? (I'm cheap that way...)

Any input would be most welcome.

Kind regards.

• Like 1

We had the same question three times. No specific answer we got.

The logic and tales I followed.

Standard: British interior green.

SOE flights in nighttime: Black, if there are still parts of bright color.

Prevent gloss! Medium flat!

This is memorizing all photos and all real Lizzies seen.

Happy modelling 

• Like 2

There are no contemporaneous photos of the SOE aft cockpit that I'm aware of. From contemporaneous written descriptions, it wasn't much like the armed versions.

I have a photo or two showing the after armed fuselage--I'll try to find them.

BTW, check out the strut mounting holes in the wing. The original Gavia and Eduard boxings have them in the wrong location--too far forward. Unfortunately, I found out too late and now have wonky wings. The latest version of the kit apparently fixes this problem so the wings mount properly. Also if you want the slats and flaps delployed, e.g., using the CMK slat/flap resin, you also need to add slats to the inner wing segments. It's not hard to do. I replaced all the slats with thin Al sheet.

The exhaust, spinner, and under-cowling air inlet shapes vary depending on various factors. Look for photos of your subject. 

Finally, the kit appears to locate the wheels within the spats in the unloaded position. I raised them per plans I and I'm happier with the appearance v. photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input- I very much appreciate it. I wasn’t aware there was a slat/flap aftermarket set available for this. It seems to me odd that is they’d model it without them deployed, as they’re weighted to extend at high wing incidence angles. I’ll seek them out! 

As for the wing-strut problem of the kit, I had read elsewhere that the attachment holes under the wing were 4mm outboard of where they should be. That would create an anhedral problem, I’d imagine. I’ll find out when I mount the wing, I guess.