RAN warship colours.

G'day mate,

Who new the proper names were N42 storm grey for the hull an uppers and N63 pewter for the decks?? ( I didn't......)

When I was in (1983-2006) we called it ships side grey and deck grey. The "Steel Cat" DDG 41 was in these colours. The only ones not in these colours were obviously the O boats and Cook amd Moresby (white Navy 🤪).

I think SMS make a storm grey and a pewter(deck grey)

Apparently if you go to the paint section at Bunnings, they can mix up N42 and N63.

I'm sure others will chime in.

🍻 Devo

(FFG 03, 04, 05,  DDG 41,  LSH 50)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Devo said:

we called it ships side grey and deck grey.

Gidday Brian, I have to agree with Devo on the paint names, I'm afraid I've no idea what the numbers are. Not much help, I know.

This is a 1/600 scale model of HMAS Perth I built about 40 years ago. I think the deck could be Humbrol 27 but I don't know what I used for the sides. I don't think it was Hu64. The actual colour I used is lighter than it appears in the photo. Best of luck with the paints.

HMAS Perth II 1981 jm (5)

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Gents 

I  bought a 1/700 dragon kit of HMAS  Perth from local toy shop that i plan to build for a mate, might just use RN colours to annoy him!

Thanks for the input the kit paint instructions don, t help much.

Cheers Brian.

• Like 1

Brian,

Just a thought. Tamiya XF-12 Japanese Navy grey might work on a small scale DDG. It has a distinct green to it that our ships used to have and was really apparent went berthed near a USN or RN ship. I remember a Yank asking me once why our ship was painted green and not grey. :unsure:

Cheers,

Devo

• Like 2

Greetings

sounds goodwas going to use the colour coatsNARN52 light weaterworks grey , which is RN but as you say there is a difference and XF12 tamiya is in stock at high st toy shop here in "Helltown"!@#$

Cheers for that. Be lucky Brian.