This is Hasegawa's old-ish 1/48 kit of one of Japan's best and most under-rated fighters of WW2 - generally accepted as the equal, or better, of the Hellcat and Corsair in the right hands.  This is my first Japanese fighter in modern times and a topic I know even less about than the Luftwaffe stuff that I usually build.  For that reason alone, it's got to be worth a WIP thread, I would have thought.. ;) 

Obligatory box shot to start.. 

zUJKzDx.jpg

Paint scheme is relatively straightforward dark green over natural alu.  I don't have any IJN or IJA specific colours, but I do have quite a few dark greens and metal paints, so I should be able to come up with something reasonably close to the required colours.

zKpdmyu.jpg?1

In terms of markings, I'll probably go with '201-53', which is a known aircraft, captured at Luzon, Phillipines.  

I've made a start on the cockpit and engine, built up and primed, before I work out what the interior and engine appearance should be.  Anyone knowledgeable is welcome to chip in.. ;) 

H6Kvlqx.jpg

kYAfevx.jpg

More to come soon.. :)

• Like 2

Cockpit now painted, using Vallejo interior green, which I don't think is too far out, as far as I can tell, followed by a dark wash.  IP painted, dry-brushed, with some detail picked out in white.   Just need to add some straps and it's ready to go in.

XNNkWan.jpg?1

2dqFqnU.jpg?1

Engine (what there is of it) sprayed in aluminium, then given a wash with Citadel nuln oil, with the pushrod tubes and other bits picked out in a brighter shade.  Pointless spending too much time on the motor, as it will be practically invisible once fitted...

lryYRmD.jpg?1

Next thing is to join the fuselage halves and fit the wings... :) 

• Like 2