About Dora Wings...

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

With the upcoming release of the Percival Mew Gull racer by Dora Wings, I have a couple of questions.  First, bearing in mind that this kit is being 3d printed, how do Dora's plastic kits stack up in terms of building?  And second, what would one need to glue together a 3d kit?  Surely not styrene liquid glue?  Maybe CA or epoxy?

Thanks, Jim

Do you have a link to that?

Can't find anything on there site/FB.

I have a few of their 109's and they are very good short run kits, go together really well.

They seem to be designed around the short run process, mostly working around typical short run shortcomings. 

Really interested in a kit being printed  as dimensional accuracy can be a challenge unless using top of the line equipment.

On 10/17/2021 at 4:42 PM, Jim Kiker said:

And second, what would one need to glue together a 3d kit?  Surely not styrene liquid glue?  Maybe CA or epoxy?

I have built a couple 3D kits, most recently the Click2Detail T-1A Jayhawk

The first thing you need to know is that a 3D printer creates a part by laying down layers of material and on a curved surface you get tiny steps for each layer, so it will not be smooth like a high quality resin kit or and injection molded kit. It depends on the quality of the printer and the material used to print. In this case of the Jayhawk, printed by Shapeways, the steps were very thin and easily sanded away. But I also had a surface that was kind of wavy and not flat. Here is the tail after a coat of primer and light sanding. The tree like grain is the steps and the straight lines are the waviness.

f69cbbaf-aa27-4910-bf06-925d74db585a.JPG

For glue I found that CAA  glue will work for none high stress area, like assembling the cockpit. For high stress areas like wing joints and landing gear I found that epoxy worked best.

Hope this helps.

Howard

5 hours ago, hsr said:

The first thing you need to know is that a 3D printer creates a part by laying down layers of material and on a curved surface you get tiny steps for each layer, so it will not be smooth like a high quality resin kit or and injection molded kit. 

This is true of plastic extrusion printers like most Shapeway parts are made from. But Dekno uses light-hardening resin 3D printing which has a much finer resolution. I have Dekno's 3D printed 1/48 Hornet Moth kit they released several months ago and if you didn't know it was 3D printed you would think the parts were traditional resin castings.

• Like 2