Finnish Hurricane

I fancied building something Finnish:

https://www.armahobby.com/70025-hurricane-mk-i-east-front-limited-edition.html

After building an arma hobby Hurricane in the BoB GB, I promptly bought one more - and this felt like a good time to build it. I’ll be building the one on the box cover, HC-452. If I did my googling properly, I should just replace the kit spinner with a Spitfire DH spinner, which is slightly wider, and I’m good. I’m pondering whether rummaging through boxes on the attic will be more work than ramming the kit spinner with a semi-hot poker to widen it just a bit. We’ll see. 

Sprues: as you can see there are three spinners here, none correct? In addition there are resin wheels with 5 spokes.

TOwPH6L.jpg

I’ve made a start:

VoAm8mc.jpg

The IP has some nice decals. I only used the right side, the left and middle sides I just painted with some random white squiggles. I actually think the squiggles look more realistic at a distance (closeup not so much). The real reason is not realism however, I wanted to use the instrument decals for an open-cockpit biplane and after having a peek in the BoB Hurricane and seeing absolutely zilch of the IP I decided to keep it for when it will actually be seen.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 8

On 17/10/2021 at 21:22, Torbjorn said:

Sprues: as you can see there are three spinners here, none correct?

For Finnish, no. they were early planes that had the DH Spitfire type (some 72nd Airfix kits have 3 supplied)

Mk.I Hurricane at the time had 5 different prop/spinners, 2 blade, DH Spitfire,  and the 3 in Arma kit.

Which are,   DH Hurricane (early Mk.I, and all tropical and Sea Hurricanes) Spitfire Rotol, tghe classic BoB unit,  and then the Hurricane Rotol (of which there are two types) which are similar in appearance, and when the Arma kit was tooled that was not known.  These started appearing late on in the BoB on V**** serial Hurricanes.

see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

Mk.I Hurricanes are a lot more complex in detail than usually realised....

One other detail the Finnish planes lack that 2nd fabric access hatch on the starboard side.   Minor detail and not sure how easy it is to fill the lines neatly. 

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Troy. I shall see if I have one - I have a few kits of early Spitfires, at least one Airfix. 

The hatch is a bit annoying - the instructions do tell me to fill it with putty, but the pattern of the stringers is flattened around the hatch so it will show anyway. Recreating the stringers would be difficult without removing the entire side and start over. Maybe I can try making some artificial shadows.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:48 PM, Paramedic said:

Oh ncie! I love the Finnish Hurricanes! :)

As a kid I used to go to the library and read and reread the two books they had on WWII aircraft: profiles of axis respectively allied aircraft. I particularly liked the Finnish Hurricanes and always wanted to build one, so this one feels nostalgic to me even if the kit is quite new. 

• Like 3

Rta1M5c.jpg

Snapped the pieces together. A bit filler needed in places but nothing major. The mentioned hatch is white from putty.

Note to self:

1.wheel bay walls need trimning before wings go on

2. the triangular tube frame thing is easier to add after the fuselage is glued together 

3. glue upper and lower wing parts together, and sand and putty the leading edge before adding the stick and pedals

Almost ready for painting. The  little antenna mast on the rudder looks stubby to me, I think I will replace it with metal rod.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 5

welcome along and with a wee Hurricane, I think we had one or two last time, still great to see them in a build.

It looks to be a nice looking model and I see you've made a great start on her as well.

Well good luck with her, am looking forward to seeing her in her colours.

Thanks rich, colours are coming. Slowly at first, as I have to paint a gazillion layers of yellow. Even on a white base the two yellows I’ve tried (Vallejo and Hataka) need at least 3-4 layers.

yI3eXdI.jpg

But we’re getting there. The black will be a very dark grey, I’ve yet to sort of the best match for the green and underside gray.

edit: this is the trget by the way:

WRrqoEJ.jpg

There QR code for more information is a neat idea, but the link isn’t working.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

On 26/10/2021 at 15:46, Torbjorn said:

I’ve yet to sort of the best match for the green and underside gray.

the underside is blue, Valallean Sininen DN-Vari,  basically a copy of RLM 65, as they liked the colour on the Do-17 (hence the DN in the name) the green, Oliivin Vihrea  is close to RAF Dark Slate Grey,  or FS 34096.     

from a Finnish magazine, i was sent a xerox by the FAF museum.

Finnishcolourchart.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 12:48 AM, Troy Smith said:

the underside is blue, Valallean Sininen DN-Vari,  basically a copy of RLM 65, as they liked the colour on the Do-17 (hence the DN in the name) the green, Oliivin Vihrea  is close to RAF Dark Slate Grey,  or FS 34096.     

Finnishcolourchart.jpg

HTH

Thanks again. I have tried to match the colours to the flying Finnish replica and still existing original Hurricane. They seem to match.

For future use, all Vallejo

-Blue, 71.101 Hellblau, lightened a bit with white grey
-Black: black and dark grey

- Green - this far I didn’t get

MG4oeuf.jpg

Last time I got fed up with masking the lights. I’ll try adding them last and touching up any gap filling.

I also found what I think is a Spitfire DH spinner in an AZ model Vb boxing. It certainly looks very similar to the Hurricane’s, only with a slightly larger diameter.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

I also found what I think is a Spitfire DH spinner in an AZ model Vb boxing. It certainly looks very similar to the Hurricane’s, only with a slightly larger diameter.

That's what you need. 

42 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Green - this far I didn’t get

hmm, a test sheet I have has Vallejo 70.924 for Dark Slate Grey,  though FS34096 is listed as being Vallejo 70.888, Olive Grey, which is also listed as RAL6006

13973_0.PNG

I have 888 as well, as well a FS595 and RAL decks, but would no daylight until tomorrow....

HTH  

PS further to my comment about I'd not trust Vallejo stated matches....

71.092.... apparently FS34096 AND RAL 6003......  while the above is .... in this case I suspect the RAL is more believable...

07DD7BB241__69219.1579299093.386.513.jpg

:rolleyes: 

Yes, I seldom read the names on the Vallejo bottles. Black and white can be trusted but that’s about it :) 

I have 888, too late to start the compressor now, but I put a blob of paint on scrap plastic to test. It does look close to how your sample appear on my screen, and very close to the replica Hurricane (as far as screens can be trusted). My gripe with Vallejo Model colours is that they are very thick and tend to separate (it first came out blueish) - I finally got fed up and made an improptu order of a hundred ball bearings... that should make shaking easier.

I might well end up using 888, a bit lightened, but will have a look. I bought a silly amount of greens on a sale.

• Like 1

Hej Torbjörn,

PLeas note that in this scheme fuselage insignia was 80cm and wing markings 1.00 meter in diameter. Arma offers smaller sie for all positions. Quick and dirty almost correct size markings for wings can be taken from the Finnish decals for an aircraft in RAF livery. Not exactly right but much better.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:48 AM, Troy Smith said:

Finnishcolourchart.jpg

HTH

I think this table is from Kari Stenman book "Sotamaalaus - War paint".

Mvh,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:09 PM, AaCee26 said:

Hej Torbjörn,

PLeas note that in this scheme fuselage insignia was 80cm and wing markings 1.00 meter in diameter. Arma offers smaller sie for all positions. Quick and dirty almost correct size markings for wings can be taken from the Finnish decals for an aircraft in RAF livery. Not exactly right but much better.

I think this table is from Kari Stenman book "Sotamaalaus - War paint".

Mvh,

AaCee

Hmm, you don’t happen to know what size insignas the Myrsky II used? The Special Hobby kit of that comes with 1m roundels.

My Arma hobby kit did come with 80cm roundels for the fuselage by the way (and 94cm for the wings).

On 11/8/2021 at 11:05 PM, Torbjorn said:

Hmm, you don’t happen to know what size insignas the Myrsky II used? The Special Hobby kit of that comes with 1m roundels.

My Arma hobby kit did come with 80cm roundels for the fuselage by the way (and 94cm for the wings).

Wings 100cm and fuselage 60cm. Since 1934 or so wing insignia was 4/5 of wing chord on 1/6 of span. Summer 1940 maximum size was limited to 1,0m which was on most of the types. Only some bi-planes had smaller wing markings.

Cheers,

AaCee

On 11/4/2021 at 7:00 PM, Torbjorn said:

70.888 with a tiny bit white is what I used.

Masking is off, some seeping under the masking on the yellow :(

jIj16EC.jpg

Gloss coat is coming up next.

I think right wing tip is missing the black area? Usually there were four diagonal black stripes over the wings in this camouflage scheme.

Cheers,

AaCee

15 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

I think right wing tip is missing the black area? Usually there were four diagonal black stripes over the wings in this camouflage scheme.

Cheers,

AaCee

It is black - I think the camera lens was a bit foggy. And thanks for the info on the insignia sizes.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 1:30 PM, Torbjorn said:

It is black - I think the camera lens was a bit foggy. And thanks for the info on the insignia sizes.

Oh yes! Shine makes the contrast so low that I didn't realize it in a short glance🥺

Cheers,

AaCee

• 2 weeks later...

This one is more or less finished. Just a wee bit of weathering and I’ll call it finished.

There is one thing I dislike with the Arma Hurricanes: the propeller. Assembling single blades may be fine, but these do not fit without a considerable amount of carving. I would prefer a more traditional one-piece solution+spinner and backplate.

ssWDb1U.jpg

• Like 5