London Lady saying hello!

curiouslysophie

Welcome Sophie. As others here have said, your models look rather splendid, so no need for modesty!

We are indeed a friendly bunch and I think you will fit in well here.

Terry

Thank you all for welcoming me so warmly! I can’t wait to show you some more of my work. I’m glad you like them so far! I guess we’re all our own biggest critic right? 

In response to comments about the bare metal finish, I’m glad people like it. I am not fully happy with it. I used the AK Extreme Metal paints and found them lacking. I am working on new techniques to give a much more realistic finish. I want to redo the P-51 at some point, but being a terminal super-detailer I just can’t afford another Tamiya kit and all the aftermarket at the moment. Might end up selling my currently finished one and use that to do another one.

My weathering skills have gotten a lot better since then and I like to experiment with new techniques all the time. I am about to take my Birdcage Corsair into the weathering stage and soon will start a mega project in a highly modified Zoukei Mura Do-335.

As to ships, the Tribal is waiting for the lovely guys at Micro Master to finish their 3D printed quadruple Pom Poms and bridge equipment. I also have a Fletcher class and HMS King George V to build. Ships look fun, and for someone who loves small details, fantastic!

I will definitely start a thread for my Do-335 once it gets going!

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, curiouslysophie said:

I guess we’re all our own biggest critic

I know I am. 
Nothing is ever quite right, in my experience it’s knowing when to stop fiddling.

Jon

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Faraway said:

I know I am. 
Nothing is ever quite right, in my experience it’s knowing when to stop fiddling.

Jon

So when you discover the actual point of when to stop fiddling, will you let us all know!

😁

Terry

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

So when you discover the actual point of when to stop fiddling, will you let us all know!

😁

Terry

I will. But it could be a while. 
Jon

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

I’m currently working on Tamiya’s excellent Birdcage Corsair, which is just hitting the weathering stage.

No pressure but there is a sub culture here of Corsair aficionados of which I'm a member. If you meet the standard you may be invited into the exclusive bentwing club. Remember when it comes to Corsairs and weathering, too much is just the  start.😁

Edited by noelh
Weird treble post glitch

Welcome to the forums from the Antipodes Sophie! (Archaeology, eh. I trained in it but never worked in it after graduation.)

You'll find everyone on BM to be supportive, helpful, and slightly demented.....um, ah, enthused by all things modelly.

Seriously the depth of knowledge on this site is, in the proper sense of tbe word, awesome.

DennisTheBear

8 hours ago, noelh said:

No pressure but there is a sub culture here of Corsair aficionados of which I'm a member. If you meet the standard you may be invited into the exclusive bentwing club. Remember when it comes to Corsairs and weathering, too much is just the  start.😁

Well I do hope I make the grade! If you know if good references for Birdcage Corsairs at Guadalcanal/Solomons I’d be very greatful. My bird is a fictional one, but I would like to get the weathering fairly accurate. She’ll be one beat up plane though!

11 hours ago, curiouslysophie said:

Well I do hope I make the grade! If you know if good references for Birdcage Corsairs at Guadalcanal/Solomons I’d be very greatful. My bird is a fictional one, but I would like to get the weathering fairly accurate. She’ll be one beat up plane though!

What kind of info are you looking for ? Ive built a few from the Solomons as those are my favorite corsairs to build. 

I will add a few links to builds that may have some info. 

I hosted the Corsair group build last year as well. Here is a link to the group build. In it are numerous builds and a dedicated reference thread.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/691-vought-f4u-corsair-stgb/

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073995-f4u-corsair-reference/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Welcome aboard Sophie.

We're all a little nuts here, some more so than others. (I daresay you'll find out soon enough who the guilty parties are).

The models you posted above look great, nothing to be ashamed of there, and even if there was, a) you're in the right place to find as much helpful advice as you need, and b) if you're happy with them it really doesn't matter anyway - build to your tastes not other people's!

Ian 

On 10/17/2021 at 4:42 PM, nheather said:

I’d be really pleased if my attempts turned out that good.

I'll second that! Welcome to Britmodeler, Sophie. You do produce some beautiful models!

3 hours ago, Brandy said:

We're all a little nuts here, some more so than others.

Speak for yourself Ian! I have a certificate confirming I'm now completely sane again and should once more be allowed to build models as long as I don't swear loudly in the process or feed the carpet monster with anything other than small digestible bits of plastic. So there!

Terry

• Haha 4

Those models look wonderful Sophie, nothing to be shy about there at all! Your user name attracted my attention as it’s the same as the title of the B-Side to (Get A) Grip (On Yourself), the first single by The Stranglers, which I bought way back in 1977. 🎼🎼🎼👍👍👍👍👍